PDA

View Full Version : More update woes maybe?

Wing Commander Fowler
24th May 2006, 23:39
Oh dear - my one year old Sony Vaio T1xp just started giving me big grief I'm afraid. She's doin the most peculiar things like NOT hybernating when the screen is folded (just freezing and remaining switched on) and just locking up randomly. I suspected the most recent XP critical updates so went for a restore from the day before they were installed but is no better. Co-incidenatlly, my Macafee updates ran out 2 months ago so my anti virus isn't fully up to date but I strongly suspect the microsoft disease...... Would any one care to offer any advice on the appropriate measure to take next? I have XP home with service pack 2 and is the very latest critical updates.

Woe is me! :ugh:

Wing Commander Fowler
25th May 2006, 22:16
Help chaps please!!! A little more info - it seems to be the windows genuine advantage notifications and also the windows validation tools that were installed as an update and appear to coincide with this problem. These 2 updates do not have uninstall options. Very annoying!!!

I'm not sure whether it's linked to the hibernate function too. Is there a minimum amount of disc free space required to effect successful hibernation as I only have 6% of the c drive free.

Don Coyote
25th May 2006, 22:20
Not an expert but I believe that when the computer goes into hibernation it stores an image on the hard drive which requires space; also the swap file needs a fair amount of hard disc space to work correctly.

Try freeing up some space and see if that makes a difference.

rugmuncher
25th May 2006, 22:25
I don't think it is anything to do with any updates you may have done,,, press and release the green power button,,, it will bring up the windows shutdown caption,,,, check that it is set to hibernate,,,, also go into power option properties and ensure enable hibernation is checked,,

also power option properties,, go to advanced settings and check that closing the lid will allow hibernation,,,

anything else give me a shout,,, fellow T1XP user

Wing Commander Fowler
26th May 2006, 08:01
Thanx for the replies guys. Rather typically it just let me write a nice long reply to you and then locked up before i got the chance to submit......
Ok it's NOT linked to the hibernate methinks. It randomly shuts down and locks up in use too. All hibernate settings are cool. It DOES all coincide with this windows validation update timing wise and since it frequently hangs on start it might just be at the stage where this tool is checking for authenticity of the OS....... If it does hang on start it is generally when it provides me with the desktop only (no icons). If it does this I have 2 choices - power button off for a good restart OR slightly more curious - if I ctrl alt del to bring up task manager and then file/run and run any executable file like msconfig or explorer it continues with the start process.......???

Can you guys tell me if you have downloaded this update yourselves yet? Particularly you rugmuncher as I suspect our other config settings may well be similar as fellow t1xp victims hehe!

Ok I'm getting crafty now and posting half the reply and then editing........

Could you check your add remove progs and look for the windows genuine advantage notification and also validation tool please? If you have these and are NOT suffering similar problems then at least I shall be able to ignore this and move on to the next phase........

If you do not yet have these downloaded and are feeling brave and ever so slightly minded towards suicidal tendencies then go ahead and download them now hehe! Its a bugger!

rugmuncher
26th May 2006, 18:09
Hi there, well you have me stumped, I haven't experienced anything like what you are describing!

I am up to date with all my systems, IE7 Beta, MSN 8 Beta, all VAIO updates done on a regular basis. Have got the validation stuff etc,,,

I use IE, but use Firefox when felling a bit paranoid, but other than that am running spyware blaster, ad aware, avg, avast, norton and symantec, windows defender and also spybot,,,, also being behing a wireless router gives a hardware fiewall effectivley.

Back to your snag though, I'd say, download and run crap cleaner,,, use the "scan for issues" option and see if it can find some hidden issues...
this may actually resolve any snags since you updated as something may have been left behind,

Another thing you can do if all else fails is return to a "restore point" prior to you last critical update and do a clean install of the updates paying close attention to re-starting correctly.

Let us know how you get on, any snags, get back and we can scratch our heads together on this one.

rugmuncher
26th May 2006, 18:38
One additional thing,,,, It may be worthwhile posting something on:

http://www.siliconpopculture.com/sonytr/index.php

There are some real computer experts/geeks who may be of some assistance.

I have a look in there now and again, just to keep up to date with VAIO stuff.

Wing Commander Fowler
26th May 2006, 22:43
Thanx Rugmuncher - already let crapcleaner loose on it and got nowhere. Restore apparently is a bit useless in this case since the item apparently embeds itself into the OS so I've been told ( question asked since I did try a restore and it made no difference). I'll give that forum a crack as you mentioned. Cheers!