PDA

View Full Version : From zero to frozen ATPL - advice wanted

balhambob
24th May 2006, 20:58
Hi

I am thinking of investing 60k with a flight school to get a frozen ATPL. The main questions I have is:

What are the chances of landing a First Officer role in industry upon graduation??? Any FO jobs I have seen are requesting experience on type which I wouldnt have - how would I get this if i couldnt land a job!? - Seems like Catch 22

I would probably be 32 years old at graduation. Would this count against me?

Would be really grateful for any advice

Rob

shaun ryder
24th May 2006, 21:23
The chances of landing a job in a multi crew aircraft straight after your graduation are there, but there is only a chance! I would not recommend pinning your hopes on that happening however. As for gaining experience on type, well the only way I can see you attaining that is to get a job on that type!! Like you say, bit of a catch 22. I would suggest a contingency route of attaining an instructor rating to gain time and experience. This however is also of limited value in the eyes of some organisations. But get your hours up and the doors will start to open, 700 gets you into the single pilot IFR category, great flying and experience which is far more favourable on the cv.
You could also buy yourself a type rating, thats an expensive and sometimes risky option because it does'nt gaurantee you a job either! But if you love flying enough you will find a way. Some of the big schools claim to get you into the right hand seat straight after you walk out the door, exercise caution though mate!

balhambob
24th May 2006, 22:22
Cheers Shaun

I was told by one of the schools that upon graduation (with frozen ATPL) you apply to airlines and get offers of work (on the basis that you then go pay 20k for the approriate type rating and pass).

Do you

- apply without a type rating then once you get an offer go get the appropriate type rating

or

- go get a type rating and then apply for jobs

Sorry for the naivity!

Rob

shaun ryder
24th May 2006, 22:35
All this stuff is a bit far down the line for you at the moment Bob. You must make a decision first on whether or not pursuing a career in commercial aviation is the right thing for you to do. Without trying to put you off (which I aint;) ) you have a bit of hill to climb before deciding how you are going to tackle getting work with the airlines. Like I said, if you truely love it and believe it is right for you. Go for it.

Tim_donovan
25th May 2006, 07:56
balhambob,

Good on you, I started when I was 29. If you are considering it, then I suggest you look to get a medical. Only costs about £500.00 and it confirms whether you are able to do the job. From a medical point of view. As Shaun says yes a bit of a mountain there quite a few exams.
With regards to schools who have you looked at? I recommend Bristol for the groundschool and PAT in Bournemouth for the CPL IR. Others will recommend different ones.
You could go to Oxford, but it is expensive but greater chance of a job at the end. Due to their connections.

Just some thoughts

Happy days :)

scroggs
25th May 2006, 09:55
Firstly, read this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649) thread. Within it you will find advice, opinion, and the experiences of others similar to yourself - particularly vis a vis the age question.

A greater chance of a job by going to Oxford? Well, that's what they'd like you to believe, and what they spend a great deal of money on glossy brochures to suggest. I have seen no independent evidence to suggest that their success rate of getting graduates into professional aviation within, say, 6 months of graduation is higher than anyone else's. I doubt I ever will. This (the flying training) industry relies largely on rumour and marketing in place of demonstrable fact!

There is a certain proportion of fATPL graduates - from every school - that doesn't make it to the airlines. For some that is by choice - airline flying isn't everyone's goal. For others, they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. For a significant minority, the fact that they've bought a qualification does not make up for the personality deficiencies which turn off potential employers! There's nothing strange or unique to aviation about this; you will find the same is true of law and medical graduates - even when employment prospects are very good. Work hard, retain your perspective and a degree of humility, don't get yourself so far into debt that your life will be ruined if you don't make it to a 747 within 10 years, and remember to enjoy the experience. That way, you'll probably do well, and it won't be a complete disaster if you don't.

Scroggs

shaun ryder
25th May 2006, 21:02
As said Bob, there is always that chance that some of us out there will not make it into that silver slippery dream machine, hehe, I mean airliner! For whatever reason. However, there is much more out there in this game that will return lasting happiness and fulfillment. If aeroplanes are what you are about, then it should'nt really matter. You will enjoy the experience (quote the scroggs), your flight training will be very challenging and you will never forget it! Attain your pro licence and ratings. When you are an old git you will be able to say to yourself - I did that - and be smug I hope!! But dont make the mistake of entering into this arena with the sole intention of only becoming an airline pilot. It may never happen, that unfortunately is the reality:{ But my hopes along with yours and countless others, are that we will reach our ultimate goal.
Keep in there Bob.
The Ryder!:ok:

balhambob
26th May 2006, 16:06
Cheers guys,

Guess I better go get the medical sorted first!