PDA

View Full Version : austers on the slippery slope

bingoboy
24th May 2006, 13:23
It seems that these old aeroplanes will continue to dwindle in numbers as they appear to have voted or been directed to remain with the CofA world which is itself becoming increasingly concerned about old aircraft and engines.

Vick Van Guard
24th May 2006, 16:33
I bought my Auster knowing and accepting it was a C of A aeroplane.

Sure it would have been nice to go on a Permit, but its not eligable for one, never has been nor never will be by the looks of things.
So she will continue to have a C of A, like she always has done for the past 54 years.:ok:

LowNSlow
25th May 2006, 07:39
VVG I bought mine with the same outlook but not with the current knowledge of how EASA is going to deal with these old aeroplanes. Given the ever-tightening restrictions on C of A renewals, especially the Star Annuals, if you don't know a friendly M3, or whatever the EASA equivalent is, then life is set to get very expensive I think. I hasten to add that this is potentially the case for ALL the GA fleet not just AUsters.

Given the above I think it's a shame that these old tube and fabric aircraft weren't given the opporchancity to go to a PFA Permit which IMHO is far more appropriate to their construction and, for the majority, their use as fair weather bimblers.

There are a few threads in Private Flying about this if anybody is interested.