PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Istanbul airport

Kelas
24th May 2006, 12:52
Fire at Istanbul airport! Any further news?

Airline Tycoon
24th May 2006, 12:53
Sky News reporting a "huge" fire at Istanbul Airport. Possibly a cargo building.

allyn
24th May 2006, 12:57
I'm watching it on BBC 24 right now. Fire equipment is on scene.

Hope everyone's ok....

mymymy
24th May 2006, 12:58
Huge fire at Istanbul airport
Wednesday, May 24, 2006; Posted: 8:54 a.m. EDT (12:54 GMT)
The fire on Wednesday broke out in the cargo section of the international Ataturk airport. No injuries have been reported.
Thick plumes of smoke billowed high into the air, television footage showed. Kaya Hayse, a producer for CNN's sister network CNN Turk, said the smoke could be seen from all over Istanbul.
Hayse said the fire was still contained in the cargo section of the airport but it was threatening a hotel. Firefighters were tackling the blaze from the air and ground.
He said aircraft were continuing to land at other parts of the airport.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/05/24/turkey.fire/index.html

Few Cloudy
24th May 2006, 13:01
Well they're saying that the field is now closed. Masses of black smoke.

It doesn't look good - quite a wind blowing and the smoke has patches of fire in it - like oil or kerosine.

Cause still unknown.

FC.

allyn
24th May 2006, 13:06
I think I just saw a Canadair CL-215 bombing the fire.

Jordan D
24th May 2006, 13:10
Breaking story on BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5012706.stm

Jordan

Farrell
24th May 2006, 16:31
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/europe_enl_1148481840/img/1.jpg

flyerire
24th May 2006, 17:50
Airport is now fully operational again with some delays obviously. The fire has been brought under complete control and it was limited to the CARGO AREA ONLY.

Only minor injuries reported due to smoke inhalation.

Cause is believed to be an electrical short circuit.

Only weeks after the Sabena Technics fire, i would imagine that this would restart debate about greater fire protection procedures in airports and hangars!

WHBM
25th May 2006, 09:00
The water bomber photo is spectacular but would it really make a difference to what looks like an oil fire ?

Hope he didn't get that fireman on top of the ladder with any overspray !

allyn
25th May 2006, 09:43
I think the water bomber was meant to "cool off" surrounding structures rather than actually putting out the fire.

I don't think the UK hosts any water bombers because traditionally, you don't get California style wildfires here. Having said that, I would be a little surprised if bambi buckets weren't available...

ALLDAYDELI
25th May 2006, 11:32
send for the Evergreen Supertanker 747....
The BBC reported last night (10 o clock news) a Kurdish militant group claimed responsiblity for this in a letter. This apparently hasnt yet been proven.

fmgc
25th May 2006, 16:12
Flew over IST and saw the smoke, listened to the IST ATIS to see if there was any indication of whatit might be, and they said nothing other than "bird activity"