PDA

View Full Version : Light at end of Recruitment Tunnel

Q4NVS
23rd May 2006, 15:53
Please don't shoot the messenger, cause I say it as I see it...

Although not at SAA (yet), I do believe there is light at the end of the Recruitment Tunnel, in a number of sectors of SA Aviation.

Surely the number of crews with pretty good hours/experience/ratings must be deminishing at a reputable rate (in SA). Bearing in mind the following recent and not so recent developments:

SAX: :D
Employed 46 FO's during last 14 months - only 12 Cadets
Possibility of more to come if the rumoured additional 3rd CRJ is decided on

Link:
Recently interviewed 15 candidates of whom all were sent for Pschyco's
It is believed that some of them had as little as 800hrs
Link generally do not send people for Pschyco's unless the Interview was successfull :=

Comair: :ugh:
Employed 4 FO's on 1st May 2006 - only 2 Cadets

Solenta:
Apparently having Emergency meetings to discuss iminent/serious crew shortages across their fleet

I'd say, dust off those CV's and start supporting the Post Office!

Good Luck :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd May 2006, 18:12
Wonder if the contract companies have figured out that they need to do some rethinking of the conditions and salaries in order to retain core crewmembers?

Probably not...:(

mattman
24th May 2006, 07:07
I can see that a good shake of the pilot tree does not work so well anymore:} Lots of apples fall but the right size and texture not so abundent.
When are these guy's going to learn to invest in there staff:ugh: (when I say staff the drivers) Lotta work out there for the right people.

Deskjocky
24th May 2006, 07:19
Keep an eye on the media in the next few weeks, rumour has it that there will be an ad placed by a domestic airline looking for 737 crew….

Beechdrivr
24th May 2006, 08:50
Matt how you doing mate?

Yeah, i couldn't agree more. There is a lot of work out here but you need experience and if you want to retain those experience levels it's going to cost you. All i can say is, we are living in interesting times right now! I see it everyday, guys crying 'cos they don't have experienced crew to fill the open slots that have been left by crew going on to better jobs. Pay more and you might be surprised, some crew might actually stay!

Anyways, that's my two cents worth!

Safe flying:ok:

4granted
25th May 2006, 12:02
Its no secret but seen adverts on International Crew jobsites looking for pilots to fly SouthAfrican regd a/c on UN contracts... Cant find correct experienced crew in SA or not for the price they think they can still pay... hahaha..

Oh the times they are a changing......:cool:

KESHO
25th May 2006, 12:48
4G just as a matter of interest, what would you say the price should be?

I do not think we will se the day that a pilot will be able to dictate the terms that he or she will go into deepest darkest. Purely because there is no backing in this industry, no unions, no contracts, ie no security for the drivers. The mentality in the industry is if I do not go, X or Y or Z will go for that amount or even less.

I agree experience is scarce, but very seldom do contracts get cancelled because there is no experienced drivers. A bit of excess to the insurance company and off you go and sit in the left even though you know nothing always bails the operators out.

Solid Rust Twotter
25th May 2006, 15:53
Some quite stiff UN/ICRC/Other NGO requirements may do the job where the insurance companies have allowed less experienced folks through the net for a bit more on the premiums and excess. We'll have to see what the eventual outcome will be...:suspect:

KESHO
25th May 2006, 16:52
SRT I hear what you are saying about the client experience requirements. They too are VERY flexible when it comes to the crunch...

all about who knows whose uncles brothers daughters mates mate...

Dispensations get issued rather easily even though it jeopardizes the over-all safety