PDA

View Full Version : I smell burnt Pig (F111)

Lord Snot
23rd May 2006, 06:55
Apparently during a pairs take-off out of Amberley recently, the lead guy had a double flame-out and gave it away. The Number Two got out of the way and took off but the lead guy got excited and yanked on the hand-brake instead of the tail-hook or whatever. :ugh:

End result: a brake fire and 4 soiled zoombagz. Not to mention a NEW hangar-queen in the pig fleet.

Jeezuz, how many serviceable pigs we got left now?????

Now I know these pig pilots are the best of the creme but I reckon they should deduct the cost of repairs and unavailability of the pig from the driver's wages. Say....... $20 a month....?? :D

Capn Bloggs
23rd May 2006, 08:01
these pig pilots are the best of the creme

Delete "creme", insert "rest". :} :E

Lord Snot
23rd May 2006, 08:39
Actually what I posted before was a little harsh.

They should take the cost of the whole thing out of the nav's wages.

rmcdonal
23rd May 2006, 08:41
a double flame-out bugger me :eek: that’s a little on the unlucky side.

Arm out the window
23rd May 2006, 11:14
You're very well informed there, Lord Snot; you must have quite a few hours on type to be so authoritative.
I do have some more information from the same source - they tried to use engine braking, but selected 1st instead of 3rd and blew the gearbox; combined with tailwheel shimmy and damage to the vectored thrust nozzles, it's an absolute mess. Forget $20 a pay - they should be hung!

blueloo
23rd May 2006, 12:28
Rumour has it, it was a double thronomister failure. (Both apparently sourced on the cheap from the Pat Pong Night market used thronomister dealer)

Pass-A-Frozo
23rd May 2006, 13:25
Actually what I posted before was a little harsh.

Hahahaha! Classic! :D :D

griffinblack
24th May 2006, 07:43
Snot, So what you have done in your Cessna on your monthly sunday morning whaz around the cct area?

Capn Bloggs
24th May 2006, 07:55

I didn't know INSs are paid!

josephfeatherweight
24th May 2006, 08:20
So many expert wannabes - Lord Snot wouldn't have made a similar (alledged) screw up on FS2004! ;)
Arm-out-the-window - nice... :D

Lord Snot
25th May 2006, 12:00
Lord Snot wouldn't have made a similar (alledged) screw up on FS2004!Nope I never have..... And it's a hell of a lot harder doing the job with just a keyboard........ :rolleyes:

In fact I don't see why you even need a nav these days, with all the technology. The nav obviously wasn't much help to the Driver in the above snafu... :ugh:

Pass-A-Frozo
25th May 2006, 16:21
http://www.mil-embedded.com/columns/field_intelligence/2005/May/include/content/images/1.jpg

^
I
L= More food for me :E

Lodown
25th May 2006, 16:33
In fact I don't see why you even need a nav these days, with all the technology.

Lord Snot, you're so behind on modern 21st century weaponry. Someone still has to light the fuses on those high tech bombs and throw them over the side when the pilot yells, "Bombs Away!!" The pilot can't hold the matches AND the joystick AND a bomb AND light the fuse at the same time.

Milt
26th May 2006, 04:46
Double Flame Out

With totally? independent engine systems I am having trouble working out how one could achieve double engine and afterburner flame outs.

I could select both fuel high pressure cocks to off if I was out of my right mind or wanting to leave early on a Fiday afternoon!

Perhaps it was just an aborted take off following some emergency such as bird indigestion or a tyre failure or one engine winding down.

Was it necessary to use the tail hook to stop?

tinpis
26th May 2006, 05:17
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/TheTruth.jpg

De troof !

26th May 2006, 05:36
I have no idea of the systems on a pig, but maybe some sort of adverse wind gust caused a compressor stall? Or bad fuel....... OO OO or maybe it was like the scene in topgun where ...arr yeah, lead guy...disregard

Point0Five
27th May 2006, 06:48
Some pesky birds got in the way.

Ready Immediate
27th May 2006, 21:51
Is the bird OK?

Milt
28th May 2006, 02:23
Our F-111G evidently ingested a hard to digest bird in one engine at a late stage of the take off. The pilot probably had to make a spit second choice to go for an accelerated stop following which things went a bit pear shaped.

Instead of selecting the tail hook to catch an arrestor wire the park brake became very effective, locking up the mains and wearing down the rims nearly to the axles. Much friction resulted in fire which was very effectively dealt with by the firies.

The F-111s remain in good hands.

Pinky the pilot
29th May 2006, 00:47
Pass-A-Frozo Is'nt that a piccy of a brand new Thronomister?:D
Rare as rocking horse droppings these days!

Pass-A-Frozo
29th May 2006, 01:40
Maybe :}

Although it must be pretty old. If you look at the box it says "VMC" . I'm sure you can get IMC ones now adays :E