PDA

View Full Version : Financial Advice

A330guy
23rd May 2006, 04:19
Dubai

Had a few calls lately from some guys Danny/James. I believe they are financial advisors.

Are they any good?

Do I waste one of my precious days off talking to them? I could do with some advice but would like to talk to someone who knows their stuff.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

145qrh
23rd May 2006, 04:39
I have , advice is free, takes a couple of hours, bit of a hard sell....

It is worth getting financial advice as the EK provident fund ( or self sponsored End Of Service Benefit) is not the greatest way of saving for old age...

Not sure of any other financial advisers on Dubai..

Even if you dont use him the numbers he will work out for you are quite scary...it has certainly got me thinking....is it really worth working for EK, the financial rewards for all the negatives associated with EK and DXB have really got me debating my future.

Backwater
23rd May 2006, 04:40
My advice, don't touch them with a barge pole!
You will find these 'independant' financial advisors are anything but independant. They will try to pawn some scheme or other on to you and pocket a large fee from your projected profits.
One way you can benefit however is to get them to do an appraisal on your financial affairs. It can be quite sobering to count the remaining pay checks until age 60 (it doesn't seem that many!) and is a good wake up call. But as for the products these guys pedal, tread carefully.
There is a reason they are in Dubai and it ain't for the sun!
Good luck.

Cpt. Underpants
23rd May 2006, 04:40
Good for HKG, so as DXB seems to be heading the same way, here's something to mull over...

1. Don't buy a car.
2. Leave with the same woman you arrive with.
3. NEVER take financial advice from a pilot.

PITA
23rd May 2006, 06:51
Old Capt once told me:

1. Keep your Engineer wife
2. Your First Officer house
3. Your Capt's salary

bus canuck
23rd May 2006, 07:27
Had a few calls lately from some guys Danny/James. I believe they are financial advisors.

Anyone know how these got our numbers? I was hounded by these guys almost as much as crew control!:*

Personally I don't do business with guys who cold-call and then hound me.:=

critical winge
23rd May 2006, 07:55
Don't go there. The HKG manager of the same company was told to leave the business for shaky business practice. The hounding from these guys in Dubai is becoming legendary, a very hard sell, full of crap info.

Remember, they are not going to come to se you for your benefit, only theirs!
Tell them to throw away the contacts book (obviously someone gave them 1) and stop hounding guys. The financial advisers in Dubai are becoming a real pest!!: NO MORE FROM THEM PLEASE:=

Uplink
23rd May 2006, 10:47
I was hounded by the same people. James I have met. Ex public school boy with advice that is not bad but not brilliant either. I found them quite agressive in their outlook. Heard that their advice is not worth much. Seem to like to slag off the opposition.

Hounding people is the right word.

Lite Bulb
23rd May 2006, 11:12
The first thing I ask these clowns is where did they get my number?

I always get the same cock and bull answer that they get contacts from several sources but most likely that a friend of mine gave it thinking I might be interested in what they have to offer. They can never tell me who the friend was.

Bull$hite.

They are going through the crew contacts book where our numbers, address and wife and kids names are available to all. No data protection act here. I politely tell them they have answered my first question with a lie and I never wish to hear from them again.

fractional
23rd May 2006, 11:19
The first thing I ask these clowns is where did they get my number?
It's easy. The numbers are most of the times (if not all the time) provided by someone within the company you work for. How many times am I bothered by these guys? Just decline, "Don't you ever call this number again. Thank you!".

brokenenglish
23rd May 2006, 11:58
Although not conmen, these guys operate pretty close to the edge.

If you let them into your home expect an ugly scene if they don't get a signature from you before they leave.

Their advice will not be impartial. They want to make money out of us, and even if they lose most of it and they might, they will still take their cut.

Put the phone down on James few weeks ago after a couple of minutes of straight talk, he doesn't hear the the words 'I'm not interested', but haven't heard from him since.

He said my number came from a neighbour. The neighbour denied it.

Look for an impartial advisor if there is such a thing. Not somebody who steals your number to get in touch with you.

18Holes
23rd May 2006, 12:51
Are you guys speaking of someone offering investments in local market/properties or offshore investments?

Payscale
23rd May 2006, 13:06
Obvious someone gave then the pilot phonebook...thanks you very much. They are like timeshare salesmen in Malaga. :ugh:

FlyingSpanner
23rd May 2006, 15:48
I use a guy called Rob Poynton, I have found him to be very good and reliable and he has steered me in the right direction on several items.

If you want his number please send me a PM and I will give you his contact details.

Flying Spanner :ok: