PDA

View Full Version : The Paperless Office

22clipper
23rd May 2006, 00:36
I watched some RPT pilots board a Dash8 the other day at a country airport. They each lugged a huge pilots bag the size of a suitcase you would pack for an overseas holiday.

It got me thinking about Mr. Robinson's line that "helicopters are like people, they put on weight in middle age". Frank was no doubt referring to the extra radios & other gizmos that folk bolt into choppers but I was wondering how much paperwork we're obliged to carry in this age of electronic infomation transfer?

My satchel with maps, ERSA, spare GPS batteries, phone, lip balm, packet of biscuits, EPIRB, pen, airfields directory, logbook, torch, ASIC card, licence, cheque book, phone card, sick bag & length of discarded dental floss weighs 4.2 kg, 6% of my useful payload (me).

I was just wondering what interesting items some of the other contributors to this forum are obliged to carry?

Disguise Delimit
23rd May 2006, 01:16
I don't carry it, but it is stored in pockets,under aircraft seats and in boot:
Jeppesen's approach plates and other info (3 books 3" thick)
Flite manual 4" thick
mini-manuals for the EFIS, FMS, Satphone, and GPS (required to carry)
seat belt extension
baby seat belt loop (fits over adult belt)
CASA-required aircraft locking device
Drizabone raincoat, umbrella
Can of oil, fuel drain jar, pitot covers, mini-tool set
windscreen cover
mini-ladder
emergency supply of Kool Mints:8

Gomer Pylot
23rd May 2006, 14:43
Those cases likely carried Jepp kits, for the entire US.

In my bag I have approach plate books, plus charts, etc. I used to carry a book of LORAN/GPS coordinates, but these are now in my Palm computer. I have my ops manual (required, along with the approach plates & charts), a rain suit, a lumbar cushion, a kneeboard, headset, LED headlight for preflights, flashlight, survival vest, notepads, a small bottle of water, sunglasses, spare batteries, and that's about it.

HOGE
23rd May 2006, 22:41
You could really condense it down to two items when VFR.

1. Mobile phone, in order to contact someone who has access to the relevant information, and..

2. Wallet, in order to purchase a refreshing beverage and a biscuit whilst waiting for said person in 1. above to provide relevant information.:}

Bell 206
24th May 2006, 05:34
I love your response HOGE!! You are obviously an Aussie!:D thats how it should be done! Carry only two things - not a whole bunch of crap!

as with the aircraft locking device - good luck if someone really wants to try and fly a chopper! Remember the in the beginning when they had a mind of their own ! (ops they still do!)

Cheers

Bell 206

Disguise Delimit
24th May 2006, 05:56
If you are in Oz and don't have a locking device, you are breaking CASA's security rules, ridiculous as they are.

Our device is probably just for show (big red flag) and you could still start the engines and damage things, but you couldn't get the rotors turning and therefore couldn't take off.

Forgot 2 other important things for the flight bag:
iPod
book to read during interminable stopovers

HOGE
24th May 2006, 10:42
To Bell 206.

I have been called many things in my life, but never an Aussie!:eek: