PDA

View Full Version : USA trained CPL - fast track to opportunities in EU?

SEAtoABZ
22nd May 2006, 21:54
Greetings all, great forum -- I just discovered it and have learned some useful things...

At 38, I am intending to change my career back to what I studied in university. I've got a Commercial License with Instrument, CFI, CFII, and ME ratings. I've got about 280 total hours, 20 of which are ME. I've got a B. Sc. in Aeronautical Studies from the University of North Dakota...

I got sidetracked from an avaition career shortly after I graduated in 1991 (that's a story in itself), but now my current career has become boring -- I'd now would like to finish what I started... and after reading some posts here, I decided I'm not too old to give it a go.:)

I now live in Aberdeen Scotland, and just received UK citizenship. I am hoping to fly in Europe or Asia, not the USA. But, I am happy to instruct or do an ATP program in the USA (or anywhere) to get me where I need to be to get an EU regional or airline job as soon as possible.

Now, of course the laws are different. It sounds as though it's easier for a EU pilot to transfer to the US than vice versa -- too bad for me... so basically, I'm trying to get my head around what exactly my options are to get working and flying here in Europe... am I going to have to take a bunch of new written and practical tests?

Did anyone else here get US/FAA certifications and make it work in Europe with little hassle? I see the JAA and the FAA are working on "harmonizing" requirements, but as far as I can see, this hasn't happened yet regarding airmen certifications?

Any suggestions are appreciated. This is an exciting time, I just need to spend some time getting my options sorted. What would you all do if you were me?

Brett.

potkettleblack
23rd May 2006, 08:05
My advice is to start studying and join a local club and get networking. The 14 ground exams will take you 12-18 months to get through so best get cracking. The FAA/JAA conversion is a well trodden path. Many europeans have taken the FAA ratings and converted them back to JAA as it usually means saving a few pennies along the way. Unfortunately the FAA licences and ratings are of no use to you here unless of course you could land some work flying an N reg.

Bristol seems to get most peoples vote for the ATPL ground school. Do a search using FAA and conversion and you should get a good few days worth of threads to work through which will tell you everything you need to know. Also download a copy of LASORS from the CAA website which gives you the latest rules on converting your FAA stuff across and what exemptions (not many) you get.

scroggs
23rd May 2006, 08:25
There is no fast track. FAA licenses can be converted to JAA licences via a procedure that has been covered here many times. As the search engine rejects search terms with three letters or less (which kind of makes FAA and JAA a problem!) try searching via Google ('Pprune FAA to JAA Conversion' or similar).

Also, have a look at the sticky thread just above this one. You'll find a lot of useful and relevant information.

Scroggs

boogie-nicey
23rd May 2006, 12:29
Indeed and remember that time is precious so whatever you decide get on with it :ok:

Dn't forget to plan your training so that you know where which school you wish to attend at each point along the training. At your age you might also wish to think about how and where you hope to "cut your teeth" and what experience you expect to gain.

Best of luck .....

SEAtoABZ
29th May 2006, 13:15
Thanks for the advice and links, all. It's a shame that it's so time-consuming (and expensive) to convert from FAA to JAA. Hopefully this will become easier in the coming years.

As I said, I'm 38, and I'm not interested in taking all of those (14!) tests. Nor am I terribly excited about living and working in the USA again. I guess that ship has probably sailed for me...

Thanks again, folks.

Brett.

potkettleblack
29th May 2006, 15:10
Brett unfortunately for you I can't see the JAA system changing at all. If anything it seems to be diverging from the US system. It has taken all the European member states years to get to where they are by committee vote so they wouldn't just go and throw it all away for nothing.

Do a search on the new multi crew pilot licence (MPL) and you will see where the JAA is heading. Poles apart from the US system would be a better way of thinking of it.

scroggs
30th May 2006, 09:36
While the 14 exams seem a bit daunting, they really aren't that difficult if you have previous experience. With your instructional time, it may be feasible for you to look at becoming a Flight Instructor in UK. Pay rates are not good, however, and your part of the UK isn't exactly swimming in flight schools! That said, go and talk to the CFI (Chief, not Certified!) at your nearest FTO and see what he or she reckons would be your best plan.

Scroggs