PDA

View Full Version : End of 40s Offshore Contract - Possible Party

Hummingfrog
22nd May 2006, 21:26
Hi Everyone

After approx 25 yrs the offshore contract Dauphine 365N2 in the 40s Field in the N Sea is being sent ashore:{ . The contract ending on 31 May 06. If sufficient interest is shown it is hoped to organise an farewell party in Aberdeen (date to be decided)

Anybody who has worked in the 40s (air, rig and beach) who is interested in attending would they please register an interest at "[email protected]" marking the e-m "Party"

Hope to see alot of old (and young!!) faces there:ok:

HF

Mama Mangrove
22nd May 2006, 21:44
Hummingfrog,
What is to replace the Dauphin- if anything? That replaced an older aircraft well in excess of 25 years ago. Are those from that previous era also welcome to attend the party?

Hummingfrog
22nd May 2006, 22:14
MM

Of course all with a link to the 40s are welcome. I myself have been here (on and off since 1990) and some of the other present pilots and engineers longer than that:eek:

The history of the 40s (I believe) includes such types as B206, Bolkow 105, B212? A365C, A365N, A365N2 and A332L. The idea of a party is in an early stage but I believe some funding may be provided from companies involved with the 40s past and present.

The 40s contract is probably the longest offshore and maybe onshore contract in existance in the world. It will be a sad day when we finally pack our bags for the last time.:{

The 40s aircraft is not being replaced. Part of the job it does will be done by the Offshore SAR A/c based on the Miller but time will tell if this is successful as it is nowhere near as flexible as the dedicated 40s a/c has been.

I hope many old friends will be able to attend but it will all depend on the numbers willing to commit as to the success of the party.

HF

Mama Mangrove
22nd May 2006, 22:23
HF,
I believe you may have omitted the S58T from your list

Hummingfrog
22nd May 2006, 22:44
:)

Nobodies perfect though I try:E

Any votes for the S55 - I learnt to fly on that;) (Whirly 10)

HF

Cyclic Hotline
23rd May 2006, 03:33
Don't forget the Wessex and the S61, also spent time living offshore there at various times.

I think the Wessex may have actually been the first helicopter stationed there.

This would be one big party. Why, I might even have to come!:\

Hummingfrog
23rd May 2006, 21:59
It seems that the S76 is the only helicopter that has not had much of a time on the 40s - It is not a very good shuttle machine, I believe, as the viz is not to good for the pilots. (I'm taking cover:E )

HF

Hummingfrog
24th May 2006, 13:50
Glad to see one or two old friends looking for info. Hopefully should be a good turnout.

HF

heli1
24th May 2006, 14:32
Anyone got the 40s Wessex in their logbook...be interested to know which aircraft operated there ?

ropedope
24th May 2006, 16:39
Does this invite include the former SAR side, i.e. winch weights/ops as well as engineers?:cool:

Brilliant Stuff
24th May 2006, 17:39
Well I did 3 weeks in the 40's. Interesting experience that was.

Shame though the contract is gone, because some of the guys I know of loved the lifestyle of having 2 weeks off.

I hope you are being looked after by the company.:suspect:

Hummingfrog
24th May 2006, 19:00
Ropedope

It includes everybody who has been in or supported the shuttle aircraft over the years. Pilots, engineers, SAR crew, deck crew, traffic and ramp crew, ops support and BP/Apache personnel who have supported/used the shuttle over all these years.

There will be a charge for tickets but we are hoping to be sponsored by our grateful customers:D to keep cost down.

Brilliant Stuff

Yes the company are looking after us - we are a bunch of high seniority/experience pilots and engineers so we can't complain....................................yet;)

HF

Cyclic Hotline
25th May 2006, 04:03
I'm not sure if it amazing that the contract is ending or how long it has been running.

When I was a youth this operation seemed mature!:eek:

Nigel Osborn
25th May 2006, 05:53
Will they pay the airfare from Oz??? I spent a lot of time living in the 40s in 1977 with a BO105. Was given a great farewell party by the boys on the Forties Kiwi (?) & the tanker we were based on. Great exciting flying!!

Up & Away
26th May 2006, 14:05
Log book
9July 1986 G-BMAL S76
three shuttle flights on the forties

Hummingfrog
28th May 2006, 14:07
Log book
9July 1986 G-BMAL S76
three shuttle flights on the forties

Ah the S76 may have come to the 40s but it didn't have the staying power of the 365N/N2;)

HF

special02
29th May 2006, 21:09
Yo
I can remember that old smoky portacabin on the IOLAIR with a smile/gimice when playing uckers with a competative edge only seen in a chinese majong game. I can also remember the utter boredom between after the early morning and late night shuttle when the rest of the crew has gone back to the cabin. God knows how many times per week I watched the same videos. I still laugh at the times I attempted to play table tennis while the big cat was bucking around, it was like the ball had a mind of its own.
I started out their on the 365C and finnished on the N.
send details of the get together could be a laugh.:)

Hippolite
30th May 2006, 05:19
Logbook

28 March 1981 S61N G-AZRF ABZ-40s shuttle-ABZ 1st stop Forties Kiwi to pick up crewman, last stop 40s Kiwi to drop Crewman and pick up most excellent meal.

Logistics supplied by Bristow 40s in those days based on the Kiwi.

Used to do those shuttles in the S61 day and night. Best one was Sunday night, the roast beef dinner with strawberries and ice cream was truly fantastic. Used to put roast beef dinner under pilot's seat over heater vent to keep it hot!!

I must be old. Great flying and a great team!!

HH

Hummingfrog
4th Jun 2006, 22:07
Well it has finally happened the shuttle has left the 40s.

At approx 0900 on 1st Jun 06 Dauphine N2 G-BTNC lifted from the 40sB enroute to Aberdeen and then its new home (still working for bp) at Humberside:{

The party planning is on going and date and venue should be announced soon.

HF

soggyboxers
5th Jun 2006, 20:33
HF,
Never flew the Wessex to the Forties, but first landing there was in S58ET G-BCDE on 11 February 1976, with the late Bill Barrell. There weren't 4 production platforms there then of course, and I remember at times having to walk from the flight deck along some of the I-beams if you wanted to have a pee in private - not off the edge of the deck :E That flight also stopped at the Hercules, which was there doing some of the heavy lifting of modules onto the new platforms. We also landed on the Castoro which was laying pipeline. My first record of a shuttle I did there was in S58ET G-BCRU on 9 April 1976. I flew some of the shuttles for a while in 1981 when I was (briefly) flying the S61 on the North Sea and we had the snap on air hoists for SAR, then I returned briefly for a contract with the Bell 212 in April 1982. As far as I can make out from my log books, my last Forties shuttle was in Bell 212 G-BCMC on 7 August 1982.
I just got back from Nigeria on leave, so I can look at my old log books. I hope the party will be on before I return to Nigeria next month - it would be interesting to meet some of the people I knew all those years ago when I was young, hirsute and slim!! - well, okay young (relatively :} ). If I can't make it good luck with the party and I hope you'll publish full details here - you know we old gits like living a bit in the past :\

Hummingfrog
6th Jun 2006, 19:36
Hi Everybody

The Date has been set:-

Date:- 7 Jul 06

Venue:- Thistle Aberdeen

Time:- 1930 for 2000

Food:- Stand up buffet

Ents:- Live Band

Cost:- £10 per person

Drink:- Some subsidy details to follow

Who can come:- Anybody who has had previous dealings with the 40s - Shuttle crews and engineers, beach pilots and engineers, all 40s or ex 40s rig personnel, logcos, safety boat crews - virtually anybody who is still breathing:)

Please register an interest with [email protected].

Further details will follow.

HF

HughMartin
6th Jun 2006, 22:05
I am really sorry not to be able to make this event but my son is getting married on the same day and I think I should be there.

I found this old press article which was taken circa 1978. I am younger then than my son who is getting married is now. Boy, does that make me feel old:( :(

http://www.hughmartin.btinternet.co.uk/forties.jpg

PS "Civilian pilot before taking the job offshore" ??? Does that make me not civilized by working offshore?

Hummingfrog
7th Jun 2006, 08:22
Hi Hugh

Sorry you can't make it but very nice pic.

Bob Denning with a moustache :eek: as well as a very young Dave Drakes;)

HF

Hummingfrog
9th Jun 2006, 19:48
Interest is growing in the party:D so to avoid disappointment please register if you intend to attend the party ASAP

HF

soggyboxers
9th Jun 2006, 23:23
Hi Hummingfrog,
As always, being a true African these days I'll be late for the party - I return to Nigeria 6 July, but I wish all the best to all those going. Please be sure to post some pictures and details of all who manage to attend.
Hugh - great seeing that picture. Bob Denning was really young once :oh: . I guess I must have been too!!! When the picture was taken I must just have been on my way going to Nigeria from Iran, but I did return to the Forties again briefly at least twice after that. Oh happy days? Possibly - or then again.....
Anyway, have a great party and hope I'll meet some old companions over the ether after it's finished :ok:

Hummingfrog
25th Jun 2006, 08:55
Just a reminder that the party starts at 1930 on 7th July at the Airport Thistle Aberdeen Tickets will be available at the door though Ian Mackie would like advance notice of intentions to come for the catering.

HF

Hummingfrog
28th Jun 2006, 14:56
Hi
Everything is going well. More details
Date:- 7 JUL 06
At:- Thistle Airport Hotel
Time;- 1930 for 2000
Cold Buffet:-
roast chicken/roast ham/roast rib of beef with raifort cream/cheese platter/assortment of salads and baked potatoes/coffee.
Music:- Last Resort

Cost;- £10/head for buffet and subsidised bar

Hotel offering double room and breakfast for £49 Phone 0870 3339149 and quote "40s Shuttle party" for this discount
Tickets from Gillian Mckay (Apache Rep) Scotia Terminal or on the door

See you there

HF

Brilliant Stuff
28th Jun 2006, 23:03
Is Ian Mackie still getting his Mots through the post?

Have a good night everyone.