PDA

View Full Version : Fax/TAD replacement suggestions?

Mac the Knife
22nd May 2006, 19:20
My old Panasonic greymarket ansafone/thermal fax has finally expired in a cloud of smoke and sparks - no great loss, it never really worked that well and 12 years is a good life.

Anyone have any good ideas for a replacement? A plain-paper fax would be nice (tho' I don't Tx/Rx that many) and I do need an answerphone. I'm a bit leery of HP these days and I don't want to spend vast sums.

Your thoughts please chaps & chapesses

Capt Chambo
22nd May 2006, 21:27
I use a program called efax to receive faxes. It's free to receive faxes and they would prefer that you sign up for the full service and pay to send and receive faxes. If you do a Google search for efax they give you a local call number in your country (SA for you I believe).
When up and running you just give people your new fax number and you then receive them as e-mails.
You will need to download the application which can be a pain to install.
I send faxes via a HP all-in-one grey box!
Hope that helps.

Irish Steve
24th May 2006, 11:12
Not sure if they still make them, I used to have a modem that also had Fax & Answering capability built in, and it could operate very happily without the PC live, it stored incoming traffic until the PC was powered up and ready to receive, at which point it tranferred all the relevant data to the PC, and it could then be archived, or printed, or played in the case of voice messages..

Can't remember who made it, ( I think it was US Robotics) with the change to Broadband here, I no longer have a need for fax, and mobiles have sort of reduced the need for answering machines. The other advantage is that if I'm not in, it no longer costs me to ring back:E