PDA

View Full Version : Integrated ATPL in Scandinavia

soconfused
22nd May 2006, 16:47
Hi,

I'd really like to do an integrated ATPL somewhere in Scandinavia. The two main schools I see (North European Aviaition in Norway and SAS in Sweden) both carry out the majority of flying in the US, but I am looking to complete all my training in Europe. I've been looking at Copenhagen AirTaxi and the Norwegian Aviation College, and just wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on these schools, or recommend any other Scandinavian schools I may have overlooked?

I'm a UK citizen, so the course would need to be in english. The cost isn't too much of a problem, within reason.

Thanks!

RYR-738-JOCKEY
22nd May 2006, 17:53
The education at Norwegian Aviation College (NAC) is about to be upgraded to a bachelors degree by including additional subjects + some kind of cooperation with the local university. This has never been done before and will for sure bring the pilot education into a better light in terms of appreciation and approval of the authorities. To answer your question, NAC is by far the very best and I can personally guarantee that. God, I miss flying aerobatics...

soconfused
22nd May 2006, 18:15
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I noticed from their website that theyre planning something with the University of Tromso, but I wasn't sure what. Do you know if they will only offer the integrated training as part of an aviation degree, or the degree as a further option? You see, I've just spent 4 years getting a degree, so I'm not sure if I'd really want to extend my training to get another one!

:confused:

Upper Medium
22nd May 2006, 20:10
NAC is by far the very best

Did you have to attend many schools in order to obtain your license then? :E

Özcan
22nd May 2006, 21:46
there are a couple of good ones in sweden as well

BestGlide
23rd May 2006, 10:29
NAC is the best school in the world! No doubt about it!

...so I wonder why I choosed another school :ok:

Griffin
23rd May 2006, 13:22
And here we go again. "The war of schools"... :}
The education will be a 3 year bachelor degree with a possibility for a master... Subjects such as psychology, economy and management will be tought in addition to the normal ATPL-subjects in order to give the students a broader base of knowledge in case of "loss of license" and such. We all know the fear of loosing it and being stranded knowing only what the ATPL-books told us :uhoh:

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!

soconfused
23rd May 2006, 13:29
Griffin, would I be able to just do the integrated ATPL without the degree or is it compulsory?

Ozcan, which are the good schools in Sweden? I know of the SAS Academy, but as I say, don't really wanna be shipped off to the US for 9 months.

Thanks again!

Griffin
23rd May 2006, 13:55
What I´ve heard it will be "one model" only... But I believe there will be students attending the school outside the "bachelor race" But i don´t know if that will be integrated or modular. What is SAS Academy you are talking about? I know Scandinavian Aviation Academy in Væsterås west of Stockholm. They train the students in USA as well as Sweden but they are in no way connected to SAS. They use SAS Flight Academy when screening and training students for Ryanair. Hence they are a customer to SASFA.

soconfused
23rd May 2006, 14:13
Yep, my mistake, SAA. God knows why I keep calling it SAS. :ugh:

I would really like to do my integrated course at NAC by the looks of things but I don't think I want to spend 3 years on it. I'll keep watching them to see if they do have a non-degree course. :)

Any other recommendations for good non-US training schools in Scandinavia?

CoolHandleLuke
23rd May 2006, 14:16
There's also Danish Aviation College www.dacpilot.dk

It's located across the street from Copenhagen AirTaxi.

joerkaaff
23rd May 2006, 14:48
Interesting logo they have at DAC.. but I don't see the connection.

Griffin
23rd May 2006, 17:55
Oooops... A little RIP-OFF maybe :}

CoolHandleLuke
23rd May 2006, 19:54
When you compare the two logos it sure looks like a rip off:eek:

Does anybody know if there's a connection between the two schools that would make it all seem like less of a rip off?

www.pilotutdanning.no
www.dacpilot.dk

152wiseguy
23rd May 2006, 20:48
Check these out for some quality training:

www.salpauslento.fi
www.pilotfactory.fi

The first one takes quite few self sponsored students and almost all their previous students have found flying work in Finland.
(dunno if you include Finland in Scandinavia or not really)

soconfused
24th May 2006, 19:07
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I'm just wondering, will there be any problem with employment with UK airlines if I got my licence in Scandinavia (or anywhere else in Europe for that matter)?

I know I'd have to convert it to a UK licence, but aside from that, does anyone know if UK airlines have any preference of UK trained pilots over pilots trained on the continent?

Griffin
24th May 2006, 20:16
Nowadays there is no connection. Both schools were used by SAS as their Ab-Initio FTO:s but i think DAC went belly up quite a while ago and has resurrected, while NAC has managed to stay afloat. NAC was at least partly owned SAS Flight Academy but I don´t know about DAC...

low n' slow
26th May 2006, 11:25
I've done my training with SAA in Västerås. Mostly good quality and they can get you through the required material in a very short space of time (god knows if its a good thing or not). I believe we used around 6-7 months for the ATP theory.
You can choose to do it whichever way you want. They will probably be able to accomodate you, but prices will be a lot higher for flying in Sweden than in the states. Their San Diego based operation has nice facilities in a fairly quiet airport and SD is a really nice town to stay in. I really do reccomend it.

152Wiseguy, are you talking out of experience about Patria, or have you only taken someones word about them being good quality? I feel I have done my rant allready, but just to clarify, their webpage is a lot more shiny and well cared for than patria itself and its facilities.

/LnS

RYR-738-JOCKEY
26th May 2006, 15:59
Soconfused: Regarding pilot licensing throughout Europe; We have mutual rules and reg's called Joint Aviation Regulations (JAR) (which is soon going to be governed by EASA, simply an authority above the national authorities). Because of this you can do your training anywhere you want in Europe, and receive a JAR/EASA approved license. So you don't have to convert as long as you have such a license.