PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Origin Pacific new TG-CH service announced

Sqwark2004
22nd May 2006, 01:49
http://www.originpacific.co.nz/News/Story.aspx?ID=166

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

new destination: tauranga!

Origin Pacific has launched a Tauranga-Christchurch direct service, commencing on 28 June. The new service will provide a same-day business return on weekdays, with weekend service between Tauranga, Wellington, Nelson and Christchurch and back.

Leave Tauranga at 7am and arrive in Christchurch at 8.40am. Return from Christchurch at 5.50pm and be home in time for tea with the family.

Our Jetstream 41 aircraft is the fastest turbo-prop aircraft in New Zealand! This combined with our new direct service means Tauranga finally has a true full day of business in Christchurch! Plus, our new service will get you from Tauranga to the South Island ski fields faster than you can say "Where's my boots?"

Just think....leave Tauranga at 7am on Monday, grab one of Origin Pacific's Fly/Drive packages - and you can be on the slopes by 11am!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cloud Cutter
22nd May 2006, 03:52
Interesting. I wonder how long it will be untill we see Air NZ decide to put a Q300 or ATR on the route. Is the J41 really the fastest turbo-prop in NZ? I'd think the CV580 would give it a good run.

Apparently Gisborne-Christchurch is another untapped, potentially strong market.

ISROB
22nd May 2006, 06:56
Cloud - I doubt you will see any kind of response from Uncle Koru, the Commerce Commission would most likely frown on it!!
Smart move by Mr Inglis, capturing essentially a point to point business market. Whatever Origins financial state may be, Rob moved where others repeatedly stated there "was no demand"
Time will tell if this move pays off . . . . . .

1279shp
22nd May 2006, 08:12
Hmmm ..

Sep 1, 2003 Origin announced they'd be flying HN-CH. 8 days later Air NZ announced it too would begin HN-CH services. OP cried foul - just two months ago the Commerce Commision said Air NZ was 'merely showing a competitive response'. <Full story below>

New services begin June 28 TG-CH which means that on or around July 6, Air NZ will also begin TG-CH?!

>
Commission says Air NZ not restricting competition

31.03.06 1.00pm

The Commerce Commission has found Air New Zealand was merely showing a competitive response when it introduced direct flights between Christchurch and Hamilton, following plans by Origin Pacific Airways to do the same.

Origin Pacific had complained to the Commission that Air New Zealand took advantage of its market power to stifle competition by starting the direct flights.

Origin Pacific announced plans on September 1, 2003, to start a direct service between Christchurch and Hamilton -- which would have been the first direct flights between the cities offered by any airlines.

But on September 9, 2003, Air New Zealand announced its own non-stop flights between Christchurch and Hamilton.

Origin Pacific then cancelled its plans to operate the service, claiming it could not viably fly the route alongside Air New Zealand.

Origin Pacific alleged Air New Zealand's behaviour was an abuse of market power and a breach of section 36 the Commerce Act.

Section 36 of the Commerce Act prohibits entities with a substantial degree of market power from taking advantage of that position to prevent or deter competitive conduct by others.

But after investigating the Commission found Air New Zealand's move was a competitive response to a market rival.

" Air New Zealand's behaviour is unlikely to have been materially different from what might have occurred in a competitive market," the Commission said in a statement.

- NZPA

@@

From www.originpacific.co.nz

Origin Pacific has launched a Tauranga-Christchurch direct service, commencing on 28 June. The new service will provide a same-day business return on weekdays, with weekend service between Tauranga, Wellington, Nelson and Christchurch and back.

Leave Tauranga at 7am and arrive in Christchurch at 8.40am. Return from Christchurch at 5.50pm and be home in time for tea with the family.

Our Jetstream 41 aircraft is the fastest turbo-prop aircraft in New Zealand! This combined with our new direct service means Tauranga finally has a true full day of business in Christchurch! Plus, our new service will get you from Tauranga to the South Island ski fields faster than you can say "Where's my boots?"

Sqwark2000
23rd May 2006, 00:42
There was talk last year of a ANZ TG-CH service possibly operated by Eagle.

****e load of gas required if an alternate was to be nominated. Probably a poor pax load available hence never gone ahead.

S2K

Cloud Cutter
23rd May 2006, 05:35
Even on a nil day, I think the Beech would be payload limited. I've noticed anecdotally (checking tickets) that there's a good demand for TGA-CHC, so Origin could be on to something. The J41 is certainly an ideal aircraft for the sector.

Of course, new services 'operated by Eagle' now mean operated by Vincent or Air National:)

Could be a good reason for Air Nelson to excersize those Q300 options.

romansandal
23rd May 2006, 06:42
This is a smart move by Origin. Ive certainly heard discussion that indicates airnz was keen to try a direct service. As I recall, some 15-20 people travel from Tauraunga to Christchurch via Welllies each day.

Good luck to Origin.

Cloud Cutter
23rd May 2006, 06:44
Yep, there's a good number going via AKL as well.

Waka Rider
23rd May 2006, 10:03
Awesome move by Origin lets hope it works out. Personally love the idea of being on Mt Hutt before lunch.

haughtney1
23rd May 2006, 10:19
Lets hope for Mr & Mrs paying public that this works out..Air NZ need someone to keep them honest:ok:
Waka..you at Mt Hutt before lunch?..so your telling me birdseed airways are giving you more than 1 day off at the moment?:}

Mr Proachpoint
23rd May 2006, 12:33
As far as alternates are concerned, I'm sure there are enough between Tauranga and Christchurch to at least let the flight commence.

A long long trip, but crikey, if you can make it competitive for the punter, it beats driving or bumbling through connecting flights.

MAPt.

Waka Rider
23rd May 2006, 22:19
Haughtney mate normally have about 5-7 days off between trips. So mixed in with some leave etc will be awesome to get down south. Hopefully see the odd shield game during winter.

stoidiuoy
23rd May 2006, 22:43
Given the distinct lack of aircraft at Origins disposal what are they going to chop to operate this?

As they have done in the past they just shaft the passenger and rebook them on NZ flights...no phone call, nothing.

It will be interesting to see how they can safely they can get a J41 in the air. They have no spare parts......I guess that will be no change for them given the current culture of 'just get it flying'

good luck to all

Sqwark2004
23rd May 2006, 22:48
You Idioit,

You'll probably find that they are going to use the aircraft that is sitting on the ground at CH from 1530 until 1030 then next day. (Would make sense).

At the moment, it looks as though all 4 of the J41s that are in operation are flying quite safely.

S2K4 eva

stoidiuoy
23rd May 2006, 22:51
I guess you can believe whatever makes you feel good

MOR
24th May 2006, 00:35
Well I think that reply shows pretty clearly who the idiot is!!! :D :D :D

blueloo
24th May 2006, 02:03
whats in Tauranga? anyone have a map!

Don Won
24th May 2006, 02:20
Geat to see OPAl in TG hope it works for them, but I hope they don't try and target the Ski bunnies/touriest market when both ANZ and QANTAS opperate jet services only 45min drive away out of RO direct Queenstown.

Yes the J41 is nice, and faster than most turbo prop's in NZ but would have to agree the CV580's would give it a good run, but I'm sure Air Freight's CV5800 would make short work of even the J41

Sqwark2004
24th May 2006, 03:39
Don Won,

I quite agree with you re: CV580 and CV5800.

However, when was the last time you had someone (other than your captain or your mum) bring you a coffee (white with three please) and some baking that she made just for the crew? :p

S2K4 eva

Cloud Cutter
24th May 2006, 04:06
Go easy on the sugar there mate, diabetes is hard to fake your way through on a medical.:}

Waka Rider
24th May 2006, 04:20
The drive to RO pretty well sucks even going through Pyes Pa. Just to get on a jet. Much prefer the 10min taxi ride from home to airport. Even better early surf, fly down, then ski followed by a few tubes of CD. Way to go Origin

1279shp
24th May 2006, 06:48
One of the lads who fly em can confirm/deny, but heard Q's are limited also TG-CH if they have to hold a decent North Island alterante.

Apparently around 45% of WN pax go on to South Island.

@@

Here's some of a report the TG Chamber of Commerce did..

Report Out on Needy Air Service

The results of the survey and focus groups, the gaps identified, and the business opportunity for a carrier to meet the gaps and expected demand growth have been outlined in the report.

Some of the report's key findings show:

69% of business that responded believed current air services do not meet their needs.
Generally, frequent flyers were less satisfied with flight schedules.
Only 25% of respondents reported being advised in advance of cancelled or delayed flights.
Business reported very limited flight availability at short notice (especially within three to five day of departure.)
Capacity at prime times is a major issue. This is a major growth opportunity for an air carrier.
70% of respondents indicated they drive to other centres for more options to a South Island destination.
There was a strong demand for a direct flight to Christchurch.
The small size of planes on the route between Auckland and Tauranga is a concern. This is of special concern to many international visitors.
Seat availability on prime-time flights to Auckland and Wellington is an issue for businesses. The provision of the larger flight on the Tauranga route should be brought forward in prime time slots.
Cost of flights was a very important consideration for 45% of survey respondents. Many did not have the luxury of booking in advance because of the nature of their business

Full report here..

http://www.tauranga.org.nz/cms/filelibrary/report_on_air_services_survey_2005_v_1.pdf

haughtney1
24th May 2006, 10:37
The small size of planes on the route between Auckland and Tauranga is a concern. This is of special concern to many international visitors.

Damn Earl!!!!!!!! how am I gonna get my fat asss into that lil ole aeroplane...:uhoh:

Why is this survey not a surprise? it is New Zealand after all....the land of the long inflated airfare.

ZK-NSN
24th May 2006, 22:50
Will be interesting to see the payload they can carry? Especially on those nice foggy mornings in CHC. Good to see Origin trying to break away and try new things.

You idiot - Must be hard to walk in a straight line with that big chip on your sholder. The "just get it flying culture" is similar to what most airlines operate on (aircraft dont make jack sitting on the ground) At the end of the day these people are professionals, the engineers wont sign anything out that is'nt up to spec and the crew wont operate it.

Cloud Cutter
25th May 2006, 04:58
Yeeeeeees, the small size of the J41, compared to the Saab 340 they are currently traveling on:rolleyes:

lex
25th May 2006, 09:30
Hmmmmm.....1hr 40 compared to 2hrs? :ok:

LocoDriver
25th May 2006, 20:23
Origin are to be commended for starting a direct flight to Chch.
Its long overdue.
If they do it well, it will open up more windows of opportunity
in the Bay of Plenty region.

:ok: :ok: