PDA

View Full Version : SAA to expand freighter operations?

FlingWingKing
21st May 2006, 07:59
Anyone heard any rumours w.r.t SAA getting more freighters? Short and long range?

Solid Rust Twotter
21st May 2006, 08:02
Haven't heard anything?

Any chance of them hiring dedicated freighter crews if they do?

beechbum
21st May 2006, 10:19
There were signs of SAA getting 737-300's for a while and the -400's thereafter. Several crew had completed their training recently at Comair. But since then have heard rumours that this whole idea has been shelved. Don't know anything since then....

fluffyfan
21st May 2006, 19:53
heard its not shelved, just a problem with finances.....:}

But the whole thing is still on and will happen, just a bit later than anticipated.

SRT, tried to punt a mates CV a few weeks ago (CE F/O), no luck to date unfortunatley

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd May 2006, 05:41
One can only hope.

Thanks for the gen, boet....:ok:

Shrike200
22nd May 2006, 05:55
CE is still overflowing with F/O's! It's a pity, since with one of the highest crew turnovers in SA, it did at least provide an initial entry point...sorry, off topic. I just feel for those in SRT's position.

saywhat
22nd May 2006, 07:36
I believe they have wet leased an MD11. I don't know what routes it flies, but it is crewed by foreigners. 737-300's - well nobody seems to know what is happening. Rumours are that it has been shelved, there are finance problems, there are technical problems, choose your favourite and wait to see if you're right.

FlingWingKing
23rd May 2006, 13:17
Just heard 1 MD11 is a definate! Apparently SAA will not crew it yet as they first want to ensure its financially viable. Also heard that the 737 freighters are still going to happen, but was set back about 6-9 months because the "seller" wanted to bully SAA into a higher price, which caused SAA to pull the plug on him. They are presently negotiating for 9 737-300(?) to be refurbished at SAA Technical.

Holding thumbs.............:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd May 2006, 13:36
I'm with you, FWK. More jobs for aircrew is never a bad thing. Even if guys like us don't get in, at least it opens gaps in the market we can fill...:ok:

cigar
25th May 2006, 05:58
Any ideas as to where the MD-11 has been leased in from? Is SAA looking at equiping its Cargo div with MD-11s in the future or is this just to test the feasibility of the B733s?

makeapullup
25th May 2006, 08:07
Gemini Cargo MD11 been flying around alot lately. Yank crew. N702GC.

Comes from West Africa ( Accra i think) Routes possibly include JFK and AMS.

bianchi
1st Jun 2006, 13:36
Why would SAA get long haul freighters? It will make money !!:= And that's NOT the way they do business? :ugh:

AAL
3rd Jun 2006, 09:16
“SAA CARGO OPERATIONS
South Africa is back on the United States freighter map with a new South African Airways effort to ramp up cargo business.

SAA last month started using a Gemini Air Cargo MD-11 freighter on a long twice-weekly rotation that will connect New York and Johannesburg, the first direct all-cargo ties between the countries in several years. Industry observers say there has long been strong cargo demand between the countries but that the long distance and the ready routings for freight through Europe undercut the economics of direct freighter operations.

SAA is using a network of stops, routing the freighter through Senegal and Nigeria on the eastbound trip and back through Ghana, Kenya, Libya and Amsterdam before it goes back across the Atlantic.

The service is a step in SAA's plan to bring in four freighters over the next two years”.

B Sousa
3rd Jun 2006, 13:06
Now therea a Positive light for SAA. Most I know that are into cargo and doing it properly are making money.
No pukers in the back and no lost luggage...............eerr, well, maybe a little exposure for greater theft upon landing.