PDA

View Full Version : Handheld transceivers

aftermay
20th May 2006, 14:05
Hi

Can anyone help me with finding a hand-held transceiver which covers the full range of light aircraft frequencies + also goes into the upper VHF band (eg the 140s).

I am looking for this wider range to both receive and transmit in as I am both a PPL and also a paraglider pilot.

All I can seem to find is handhelds that cover EITHER the VHF GA frequencies OR the upper VHF bands usually used by free flyers. That means lugging 2 radios around whenever I travel + all the chargers etc - a real bore! And with a birthday coming up ......;-)

TIA for any info

farsouth
20th May 2006, 14:16
If the "upper VHF bands, into the 140's" that paragliders use are the Amateur Radio frequencies (144-146MHz in UK), then the problem is that aircraft VHF transceivers use AM whereas the Amateur bands (and Marine/Police etc) use FM. You will not find a transceiver that works on both modes. FM receivers can receive aircraft AM transmissions, but for transmitting, it has to be the right system. (As far as I know.....)

aftermay
20th May 2006, 16:52
If the "upper VHF bands, into the 140's" that paragliders use are the Amateur Radio frequencies (144-146MHz in UK), then the problem is that aircraft VHF transceivers use AM whereas the Amateur bands (and Marine/Police etc) use FM. You will not find a transceiver that works on both modes. FM receivers can receive aircraft AM transmissions, but for transmitting, it has to be the right system. (As far as I know.....)
Yes, but its seems to me (a relatively non-technical person) that if FM transmitter/receivers can receive AM transmissions they ought to be able to send in AM as well. Or is it more complicated than just adding another component into the case?!

Simtech
20th May 2006, 17:19
Please note that it is an offence to use the amateur frequencies if you do not hold a valid amateur radio licence. In the UK, amateurs are not permitted to operate from any air vehicle whilst it is in flight. :=

Incidentally, it's not just FM used in the amateur bands - we can also use AM, SSB, CW (Morse), TV, teleprinter, etc, etc.......and equipment is available that can operate on all of them; it is not, however, CAA type-approved. :ok:

aftermay
20th May 2006, 21:19
Please note that it is an offence to use the amateur frequencies if you do not hold a valid amateur radio licence. In the UK, amateurs are not permitted to operate from any air vehicle whilst it is in flight. :=
Incidentally, it's not just FM used in the amateur bands - we can also use AM, SSB, CW (Morse), TV, teleprinter, etc, etc.......and equipment is available that can operate on all of them; it is not, however, CAA type-approved. :ok:
Yep I've got an RT licence and I only need to use it in the UK when flying a powered aircraft, when flying a paraglider I avoid controlled airspace.
However, I'm paragliding in the Canadian Rockies this summer and there they apparently let you land at airfields as long as you have the right licence and equipment. Hence my Q about one portable transceiver for both FM and AM. I need the one to talk to other paragliding pilots and the other if I want to land at an airfield.