PDA

View Full Version : self fund ATPL for a Cathay pilot job - is it worth it?

kf2300
19th May 2006, 16:20
Dear all,

Six years ago, I failed the Cadet Pilot interview with Cathay Pacific Hong kong. Since then I earned my living with a job in finance. However, being a pilot has always been my dream career.

I am now 28 years old and have saved enough money to sponsor myself through getting a frozen ATPL from Australia. My question is:

1. Would a frozen ATPL help me in getting a job as a pilot with Cathay Pacific or Dragon Air in Hong kong?

2. I am 28 years old, and will be 30 by the time I get the ATPL. Is it too late to start in the eyes of the Hong Kong Airlines?

Please help me.

K3nnyboy
19th May 2006, 16:28
well, the 1st question you gotta ask yuorself is that, are you happy with the job you got now? Are you willing to give up you job for ATPL?!?
2nd, YES...by having the frozen ATPL , it would more or less increase your chance of getting the interview, though it doesn't mean you would get the job for sure!! depends how well you perform during the selection process. so take note of that...
3rd-ly, i personally dun think 30 is too old for Cadets, you still have like 20+ years of service an airline could get fm you!

so self-funding for an ATPL course in Australia aye? Where about?

GOod luck mate!~
cheers~
k3n

Lowspirited
19th May 2006, 16:43
For kf2300, if you are planning to apply for CPP i think getting a PPL would be enough, its enough to understand what flying is about. Studing up to frozen ATPL may be an advantage or disadvange, for sure you will have a much hard technicle interview during the process. If you were considering applying for direct entry i think the minimum hours is beyond what you could self sponsor to fly ^^; Btw if you are from Australia you could apply for CPP with Qantas, which is a self funded CPP but signed with Qanatas upon graduation. I took a look at it myself but got no $$$ for now :{

P.S good luck, age is never a problem!

kf2300
20th May 2006, 03:02
Thanks for the advice and encouragement; makes me feel more comfortable already.

My home town is in Brisbane, any well known schools that you Aussies could recommend me?

Lowspirited
20th May 2006, 03:59
The flight training school CX uses is actually open to public :)

Left Wing
20th May 2006, 06:45
Do your training at BAE at CX flt school get your inst rating and apply to DESO.

Rich Tea
20th May 2006, 06:52
Before you seriously consider going down this route, be aware that having an Australian Frozen ATPL has its own limits. It may be worthwhile contacting the HKCAD to see what the licence conversion requirements would be should you be in possession of such a licence.

They may be more likely to convert licences from different countries, for example they may favour a UK licence simply because the HKCAD syllabus is based on the UK system as opposed to Oz. At the end of the day, you won't be able to convert anything unless you have a HK Airline showing their intent to employ you. An individual cannot simply apply for a HK Licence because he wants to "apply".

If you found yourself jobless after going down the Oz route, you may well find yourself struggling in GA trying to scrape a living as many have and do. It is no easy task on the individual especially as you get older given that you are probably use to a degree of financial security.

Although CX has taken on individuals in the past with a Frozen ATPL, it is by no means a measure to say that if you have a licence - that you are in. KA have also taken on DE S/O's but there are plenty with a licence who have applied and not got very far.

Do ask yourself what you think your shortcomings where in your previous attempt at CX....is it something that you can address for a second attempt? Gaining a PPL is certainly a good way of showing that you have improved upon your previous application. Interestingly SIA have recently advertised for Cadet Pilots from HK. Perhaps this may be worth considering. Bottom line, explore and exhaust all other avenues before paying for it yourself.

All the best in your search.

RT

kf2300
20th May 2006, 13:38
Dear all, thanks for your encouragements.

For selecting schools in Aust, do I have to do it at BAE System in Adelaide? If I choose another school, would the conversion to HK License be more difficult?

Rich Tea: what does GA stand for?

K3nnyboy
20th May 2006, 16:20
..........If you were considering applying for direct entry i think the minimum hours is beyond what you could self sponsor to fly ^^; Btw if you are from Australia you could apply for CPP with Qantas, which is a self funded CPP but signed with Qanatas upon graduation. .............
P.S good luck, age is never a problem!

just wanna let you know that it is not guaranteed that upon finishin you CPP with QF, you'd automantically get the job....just beware of that, and the cost of that programme aint cheap~
also, yes, BAE is good school, but fairly high in cost too. Personally I would recommand you to taek it step by step first, meaning dont throw a massive amount of $$ to any flying school, as most of them dun offer refund. Just take a few lessson and see whether you really like to do it or not. I wasn't as lucky as you guys when i 1st start flying, no one was there to teach me anything, so chucked in a large amount of my parents' dosh, and got myself pain in da ass...that's y i dun want to see any felllow Wannabe get hurt HAHA...end of the day tho, finally decision is yours!
......Bottom line, explore and exhaust all other avenues before paying for it yourself.

RT

Totally agree with ya Rich Tea

P.S: i aint sure about the ATPL conversion, ask some expert bout it, also GA= General Aviation.