PDA

View Full Version : 'Iffy' copies of XP.

terryJones
19th May 2006, 15:50
Not that anyone here would have, but IF they knew anyone who had, it would be a good idea to ensure that the latest update is not allowed to install on their PC.
IF anyone had, and has not yet restarted their PC, go to system restore and go back to yesterday, then into control panel updates, and disable auto update. Once the machine has been allowed to restart after the install I am led to believe that otherwise a niggle screen pops up and starts to become a PITA.

Saab Dastard
19th May 2006, 16:20
Perish the thought that any PPRuNer would have such a copy, but I'll leave it here for "informational purposes".

I suspect that several people have had problems with the registration process, so this might cause them further - unwarranted and undeserved - grief.

Thanks for the info.

SD

Buster Cherry
19th May 2006, 17:16
I suspect most people who are ripping Microsoft off (Contradiction in terms maybe??) have already realised this as Billyboy released a Validation tool on the updates website around 12 months ago. There are always ways & means of solving problem though. :E b.t.w I OWN a legit copy.

spannersatcx
19th May 2006, 17:18
What's a PITA?:O

Gonzo
19th May 2006, 17:35
It's an FLA. Means 'pain in the @rse'

PPRuNe Pop
19th May 2006, 17:51
I think you would probably have to be naive to think that there aren't 'iffy' copies of XP in the hands of our esteemed readers. Inevitable wouldn't you say.

It's all a matter of conscience. :=

PhilM
19th May 2006, 17:55
If you have a non-legit copy of XP, downloqding updates via the updates website is a no-no, it'll pickup your dodgy serial and not let you.

Turning on AutoUpdates in windows however does not seem to check the serial, and as such the updates download and install just fine.

So I am reliably informed :oh:

Earl
20th May 2006, 01:09
But what if you have a legal copy and install it on more than one computer?
For instance your desktop and laptop.
Is their anyway for Mr. Bill to detect this through the updates?
The costs should be for each household, not each computer.

spannersatcx
20th May 2006, 11:01
It's an FLA. Means 'pain in the @rse'
Thanks now what's an FLA?

terryJones
20th May 2006, 11:14
I am relyably informed that the following method could be used to remove the niggle.
Start in SAFE mode (F8 during bootup)
Start in safe with command prompt
Go to Windows\System32 folder and delete wgatray.exe
Use EDIT to write a blank file, and save as wgatray.exe
Set the attributes to read only sytem, hidden. This stops the dll trying to change the file you just made in place of the one the billionare wants you to run.
run regedit, and search for all wga references and delete.
Reboot to a screen with no niggles.
{If you are new to DOS type CD C: \Windows\System32}
TYPE del wgatray.exe
TYPE edit
use the menu at the top of this edit window to save the empty window as wgatray.exe
use the file menu to exit
TYPE ATTRIB +H +S +R wgatray.exe.
TYPE REGEDIT
use find to search for all references to wga and delete them
close everything down, (use ctrl, alt, del and shut down)
Reboot to no niggle screen.
Now, use Setting, Control Panel, Automatic Updates, and select the radio button for Turn Of Auto Updates.
The machine will warn you, just ignore and get on with it.

rotorcraig
20th May 2006, 12:15
The other way to get rid of the niggle is to right click the "star" icon on the status bar, and select "Change Notification Settings".

Then uncheck the "Display Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications messages" box and acknowledge that you are no longer eligible for Windows Updates.

RC

BOAC
20th May 2006, 15:06
Spanners - it is one more than a 'TLA ':)

spannersatcx
20th May 2006, 16:01
Now I'm really confused, TLA, FLA what does it all mean!

One that I've always wanted to know was IIRC, now what is that all about.

You can tell I'm on a DOT, WNI, KAO, NBTDTSTI, HTGAPAOGN, B.

(Day Off Today, Wifes Not In, Kids Are Out, Nothing Better To Do Than Surf The Internet, Have To Go And Play An Online Game Now, Bye):D

pzu
20th May 2006, 20:57
The other way to get rid of the niggle is to right click the "star" icon on the status bar, and select "Change Notification Settings".
Then uncheck the "Display Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications messages" box and acknowledge that you are no longer eligible for Windows Updates.
RC
Thanks it worked for me today - bought my Mum (aged 81) an updated/upgraded Pc last year from a 'mate' :suspect: who builds them up from Computer Fair parts :suspect: :suspect: ;
Called to see her on Friday, and as she was off gallivanting decided to kill time by PPruning etc :cool: - noticed updates on offer, so selected them - Result Bill Gates's protection squad struck :ugh: - hard job :O explaining to Mum that she was guilty of 'software piracy' := so your fix proved to be immediately useful:D
If she needs a machine in future, will go the NETTO/ALDI route:ok: ;
PZU - Out of Africa

terrain safe
20th May 2006, 22:32
5LA ?:ok: :ok:

Germstone
20th May 2006, 22:59
this apparently worked for a "friend" of mine

According to the posting, the way to dismantle the notification is to run Task Manager in Windows and kill a file called WgaTray.exe. Then, a user should go to the System32 folder and find WgaTray.exe and wgalogon.dll. Once those files are identified, they should be renamed to WgaTray1.exe and wgalogon1.dll and then the user should perform a restart, according to the posting

joe2812
20th May 2006, 23:51
IIRC is If I Recall/Remember Correctly?

IIRC? :}

BDiONU
21st May 2006, 06:49
There is a neat little application called WGAfakap which disables Unka Bill's latest WGA checking 'update'. I know several people who have used it safely (it really is a small file). Have a look here (http://blog.mypapit.net/2006/05/windows-genuine-advantage-tattoo-cracks.html)

BD

Saab Dastard
21st May 2006, 10:26
Folks,

Please bear in mind that PPRuNe does not condone or encourage the use of illegally copied software, or the circumvention of copyright protection mechanisms.

This C&I forum is not a "hacks & cracks" site - there are (I believe) several of those available on the internet.

That said, this thread may be of use for those with legitimate copies of MS Windows that fall foul of MS "over-zealous" copy protection, for whatever reason.

SD

rotorcraig
21st May 2006, 17:15
Absolutely. The "Display Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications messages" resolution isn't a crack, it has been put there by Microsoft to give the honest customer time to resolve the issue - many customers have found themselves unknowingly running illegal versions (or legal versions that are flagged as illegal).

It's clear that the next version of Windows Genuine Advantage (due next month, the month after that, who knows?) will re-enable the niggle - and if the trend of recent months continues, will make it even more intrusive.

I believe that within a few iterations, Windows Genuine Advantage will "boat anchor" illegal copies of Windows making them effectively ususable. And that all of this is simply road testing Genuine Advantage so that the next version of Windows (Vista (http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsvista/)) can launch with this level of protection.

RC

Earl
28th May 2006, 22:03
I do not promote piracy in any form, but the way microsoft does business sure makes it tempting.
For instance several weeks ago I had to reformat which required reactivating my legal copy of windows.
This was in Saudi Arabia.
Since it was the weekend there, Thursday and Friday the service was not available as the office was closed.
I know you are supposed to get 30 days to do this but have heard of problems in this time frame.
I had to call the USA number, was greeted in Spanish and put on hold for 7 minutes.
I could have bought a pirated copy for 1/10th the cost of the phone call and saved money.
So much for trying to do things right.
You would also be suprised at the Microsoft pirated software installed and run at major companies in Saudi Arabia.
This with the full knowledge of the company and managment involved.

PPRuNe Pop
29th May 2006, 08:49
Two friends of mine have had the msg from MS. Seems they are waging war against the 'criminals' who are doing this. I wonder if they can win because if they get it wrong and block a genuine user they could be in serious trouble.

I don't much mind them stopping piracy but they have to do it right. The rights of an individual could easily be impinged by what appears to a be some kind of invasion of privacy.

Dunno! Wait and see. :cool: