PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for hourbuilding?

alberto86
10th May 2006, 10:47
hi guys,

can anybody tell me where to find a place for JAA hour building (preferrably in the US).

thx

potkettleblack
10th May 2006, 11:52
Google is quite good, yahoo not as good but getting better if you believe the hype. Then of course there is the search function in pprune, come on mate with 149 posts you must have discovered that by now surely??? Then there are the two other threads in the forum list that I can see as of 1 minute ago. If your after some magical place with the best deal in town then I am afraid you ain't going to find it. Just the tried and tested places that most ppruners write about that we read about so often.

alberto86
10th May 2006, 11:59
I don't understand why you've wasted your time telling me helpless things. Thanks anyway.

I've asked that question probably because the current posts regard FAA and not JAA hour building..and....ok forget about it. :cool:

By the way, I haven't found any previous posts regarding my question so that's why I was asking.

potkettleblack
10th May 2006, 13:11
What is JAA hour building? So long as it has wings and an engine and there is only you in the aircraft then go fly and log it - assuming you have the appropriate licence and rating. Doesn't matter where you go or with whom. The only complications arise when someone else wants to sit next to you and "share hours" under the FAA system.

An advanced search using hour AND building gave me this:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=261254

That's 29 threads to get you started. Do a search for all threads and the list will get even longer.

bolty_1000
10th May 2006, 15:49
One place I can highly recommend is Sunrise Aviation, Ormond Beach, Florida ( http://www.flysunrise.com ). I am there at the moment and have had sole use of one of their C152's for the past 3 weeks. In that time have managed to rack up 75 hours and have seen a lot of Florida! All points on the good side: very cheap rental (approx $60hr), great accomodation - right on the beachside in Ormond! Great owner and CFI who really help out with anything you need!
Give me a shout ifyou need any more info or would like to get in touch with them!

jar-dk
10th May 2006, 17:47
Why not South Africa - lovely people - good wings with an engine mounted - great beer and a very professionel ATC that can teach a few European countries alot, and they speak English, and Il bet you that living costs are cheaper (havent been in the us so I cant say)!
www.flighttraining.co.za - good school maybe they can help you along.

lamma
17th May 2006, 14:40
I did my hour building in Florida with OFT Kissemmee. I loved it because I also managed to do my night rating and MEP Commercial at the same time. They have a JAA examiner (if he,s still there) and the airport is busy so good experience. When I left they were putting in an ILS so you may get some instrument experience. There,s lots of places in Florida but a word of warning, don,t believe the "you can fly everyday 364 days of the year"....BS.

We could learn a lot from the US with their friendly attitude and most services are free.......not like in the UK

bellyfluffer
19th May 2006, 11:34
looking for help and willing to accept the inevitable sarcastic comments about search for myself/google/etc! in fact i may respond with a few sarcastic comments of my own!;)
where has great 'hourbuilding' weather at this time of year,need to build 60hrs very fast for a quickly approaching cpl start date! hoped to do them in uk but after managing only 20hrs in 7weeks "i give up" so all help and suggestions are appreciated,
florida? isnt it hurricane time?
new zealand? winter season approaching?
another consideration is how long it would take to process any paperwork to fly, i know Oz/newZ is a day or so when you get there, and i know usa is a certificate which i already have so, pleeeeease fire away with suggestions as time is running out fast
cheers all:ok:
Names of schools/rates would be even more helpfull!!

Permafrost_ATPL
19th May 2006, 11:51
By the time you get the visa sorted out, it might be TS time on most of the East Coast (in the afternoon). It starts around mid-June or early July. I'd still go there and wake up early and do your flying before early afternoon. I did a lot of my flying around New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York state. Cheap hiring rates and accommodation, because unlike Florida it's not buzzing with people doing hour building. The Flying W is where I was based (New Jersey). They have a cheap motel, pool and restaurant on site.

http://www.flyingwairport.com/index.dws

If money is less of an object, I'd go for California. Big blue sky on most days and fantastic scenery. But it ain't cheap...

P

bellyfluffer
19th May 2006, 15:55
1st
it appears the powers that be have decided that my request wasnt worthy of its own 'thread'! ;) and merged me with this existing thread! so apologies if it appears like im attemting to hijack it!

2nd
thanks permafrost:ok: , looked at the website but no info on hourbuilding so im going to email them in a minute,but when you was over there how many hours could you fly in a day taking into account the stormy weather?

Permafrost_ATPL
19th May 2006, 18:07
The boomers usually go off at around 4 PM. But not as systematic as in Florida though, you can have a whole week without them. Depends on weather system. It'll be pretty bumpy most afternoons though.

i wouldn't try to fly more than 5 or 6 hours a day if I was you, it becomes a bit tiring.

i'm curious to see how much they charge these days for a 152/172 or warrior, let us know!

P

bolty_1000
20th May 2006, 16:40
I agree weith permafrost! When I was in Florida last week Id get up to the airfield and in the air by 0730. That way you can enjoy the calm, clear conditions, do 5 hours and you are back on the ground for lunch! Some days if the weather looked good enough Id get more in - up to 8hours!! But being 6'4" in a 152 for that long wasnt that much fun!!!
True....Florida and the east coast start getting very bumpy and scattered TS are almost a daily occurence between now and the end of the summer...plus the hurricaine season starts june 1st!!
As I mentioned in my earlier post...if its Florida you decide then Sunrise Aviation works out at approx $60 and hour for their 152's (Just done a currency conversion and thats 31quid an hour)!!!!! Their aircraft are very well maintained and you'd get it block booked for at least 5 hours a day if not the whole day!!!
I didnt look further north so cant advise but if its Florida, although very busy, does give you good practice at a busy environment. Id highly recommend visiting not only the remote, uncontrolled airfields but also the likes if Savanah International, Orlando International, Daytona Beach Int. Its awesome fun being slotted in between big jets in a 152!!!!