PDA

View Full Version : VS OR ANZ ???????

vincente
19th May 2006, 08:50
I just got offered a job with VS & Air New Zealand ... do not know which one to accept ?

What should i do.. :rolleyes:

sebby
19th May 2006, 09:04
Well both are great airlines but at the current time I would choose VS. Air New Zealand is up in arms at the moment and noone ever seems to have a secure job with them and their constant contractual agreement changes and management restructuring. And the VS uniform is a lot more attractive too. Go for it and CONGRATULATIONS!!! Two Premium Airline job offers, that is enviable!!:D :D :D

vincente
19th May 2006, 09:12
The thing is Air new zealnd pay is a bit better and they are opening a new route from lhr to hkg ! ... but as i want to commute to london from France VS would be better .... :confused:

sebby
19th May 2006, 09:25
Well LAX and HKG you will very soon tire of... and NZ pay is under negotiation at the moment anyway, and for commuting VS would be better if not simply because NZ are going to be lowering rest periods because of the new HKG sectors.

raft rower
19th May 2006, 09:51
Firstly, congratulations on obtaining two jobs! Personally, I'd opt for Virgin rather than Air NZ-
# Better destinations
# Career opportunities.
In the end I'm sure that you will make the right decision based on what you really want. Enjoy your career, whichever airline you choose.

wan2fly
19th May 2006, 11:25
Last year i was in same boat with Air NZ and QF UK - I looked at salaries promotion and destinations - QF UK was far better - with Air NZ too much seniority at QF none so promotion quick.

At QF we fly to 3 destinations - and already they get a bit tiresome after 6 times in a row to HKG - (however i have saved money and an extra 600.00 a month on top salary is good !!!.) Air NZ only 2 destinations.

VS has more varied destinations where Air NZ not salary at Air NZ more than VS but staff travel is very poor compared to VS.

PLus the AIR NZ new uniform is shocking !! - VS very nice.

Its a hard one but I feel I made right choice.

Oh - yeah - VS train on, 3-4 aircraft ??? Air NZ only 1 ha ha .

Well done and good luck.

klinit
20th May 2006, 03:26
From what I've understood, VS allows commuting crew. Just wondering: What shorhaul airlines do they have agreements with (for commuting), and what kind of discounts do commuting staff receive? Does BA have a similar arrangement?

J-Flyer
7th Jun 2006, 00:26
From what I've understood, VS allows commuting crew. Just wondering: What shorhaul airlines do they have agreements with (for commuting), and what kind of discounts do commuting staff receive? Does BA have a similar arrangement?

Officially VS require that crew are able to report to LHR 2 hours and LGW 3 hours after being called out. Now that's the official line. Unoficially they do indeed support commuters as much as they can and many a time I have heard crewmembers easily changing their duties on the day because of closed airports in scotland or strikes in Spain. But it is still somewhat a risk if you lived somewhere with very high flight loads and would fail to report for duty.

Commuting staff receive no special treatment as to flights. Same ZED fares apply with all major airlines. They are available to you 6 months after joining date. So you're looking at about 50-70 GBP per return flight around europe about 4-6 times per month. That will be offset by lower rents (unless you want Paris or Geneva) and mostly tax free pay.

Good luck and keep in mind - some of our crews live as far as New York and Miami and they commute just like anyone else.