PDA

View Full Version : Papasam

ZAZOO
18th May 2006, 20:04
I asked myself why put this on pprune!!! After all who cares, most of what we do here is who is doing what and whats going on here and there!
But today its different very different for me.... Today I would like to pay homage to my friend Papasam!

Here at B3 I like to take pride in the quality of our engineers and their dedication to our Aircrafts but especialy my favourite engineer the old man!

Samuel is a congolese and has worked most of his life as an engineer all over the world and I came to meet Samuel here at B3 and fell in love with this man almost immediately he had so much passion for his job and dedicated his whole time to keep our 737-200 fleet flying and as much as he could do in his little capacity in top shape.

Sam spent his whole time on the ramp, in the hanger or flying with us on the west coast routes which require an engineer on the flight. He worked all the time when he was on the ground spending whole nights in the hanger, he loved his job.

When I resume for work in the morning on west coast flights and found Sam there on the ramp it was a delight, he always had a big smile for me but was always in a hurry to get something straightened out before our departure. After takeoff I would chase him out of the flight deck so he could go take a snooze at the rear and the farther that service was along the west coast the better I felt for him cos I knew he would have a good nap. This man never stopped working when he gets off the aircraft in Lagos. Sam was loved by everybody who knew him here at the Lagos airport.
Sam taught me a lot of things and got me digging into my systems manuals lots of times when I got home cos he had pointed out something to me out of my curiosity on various visits to the hanger while he was working, that I felt maybe I had to go brush up a little more on that one. Sam took every technical report or queries by the pilots very serious and made sure it was rectified asap depending on how fast management would respond to him, most times he would be frustrated cos things ere not moving as fast as he wanted them to go when it came to caring for his babies 5N-BFM, 5N-BFX and FG-HXL.

Simply put Sam was the best I had seen so far!

On Tuesday 16th of May I had good ol Sam with me on my west coast flight and we had quite a bit of weather on the west coast and could not go into Abidjan and diverted back to Accra. It was a rough ride that morning and Sam stuck with us in the cockpit, it was nice to have him there with us.

On ground Accra Sam told me on the ramp while having a few moments to ourselves about taking his retirement at the end of the year, he felt he had put in enough and that Nigeria had tired him out. As usual I teased him about going nowhere and we scampered back up to the galley for a well deserved good ol B3 breakfast.

Later that night we arrived back in Lagos late evening and bade each other a bientot as we always did, you see Sam also had this french accent that everybody loved. As I got into the crew bus I caught sight of Sam hurrying down the ramp with his maglite and toolbox!!! yep that was Sam going straight back to work. I sighed and that was our day for me but not for Sam he just had to go on.

At about 6:30pm yesterday evening in Lagos by Shonibare bus-stop Sam had just stepped off a bus when an Okada Bike Taxi ran him over right there as he got off the bus, the bikeman took to his heels and a crowd gathered as is typical here in Lagos and just gapped at him lying on the roadside, our able crew bus driver was passing by when he noticed the crowd and got sight of his green B3 high visibility jacket Sam usualy had on and found out it was old Sam, he rushed Sam to a nearby hospital and at about 9:00 pm, two and a half hours later Sam passed away.

I was told by the bus driver that as hard as the bike hit Sam the old man still struggled back up on his feet, but helas the concursion he had at the back of his head was too much and he slumped back down on the roadside. I can believe that of Sam, typical.

Samuel aka Papasam, by all who knew and loved him here at Lagos Airport was 60yrs old, a simple man and he was my friend and was about to retire at the end of this year.

I miss you so much Papasam.

A'bientot, A'bientot, A'bientot

Flying Touareg
18th May 2006, 20:56
Zazoo my heartfelt sympathies. I know how it feels to lose such good people. Taking b3 to kan out of abj on sat. will condole b3.

skygod
19th May 2006, 12:02
zazzo,
Dont know what to say bro, but papsam was a great man, great eng for b3, unfortunetly b3 never appreciates the quality of staff they have. This guy gave the last 3 years of his life to b3. He got absolutely nothing. If he had a crew bus or an official car this wouldnt have happened. Dont even wanna go into the details of his history with b3, how he was surcharged, suspended...bla bla bla. anyways Man may his soul rest in peace....I flew with him a lot on the west coast,and will infact miss him.
I just hope b3 rewards his family in some way, and not just the usual condolence letters, and demos that the actually care about him, cause the really dont,all flights schedules operated normaly, including the flight he was supossed to operate that night.

All the best

skygod

manifold p
19th May 2006, 14:42
Zazoo mon ami. well said. I am still reeling from the news that papa sam is no more.
I will always remember how papa sam will call me aside to give me a fatherly advice when things were not going very well.
He was always smiling cracking jokes, and loved by all. Late one Thursday night or was it Friday morning we got back to base from Dakar and we were all tired I mean every one including the ground staff everyone looked downcast and we were waiting for the crew bus but as soon as papasam appeared all one could hear was papasam’s name echoing all around the aircraft, very refreshing to see him .
Full of energy, enthusiasm and knowledgeable. Although all the guys at B3 work very hard papasam added passion to his work. I will not forget him, always jogging from the aircraft to the engineering office and back at the international terminal, zooming away from domestic in the pickup to get parts from international terminal. Well known and respected on the westcoast , Sometime last year we had a problem with the aircraft at Conakry with him and he was just ordering the guys around as if they worked for B3. He told me later on that he had worked with those guys before.
Papasam my father,friend and most of all, my engineer, MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE. This man was a true professional.

Regards

18left
20th May 2006, 06:59
rest assured hes in a better place
take heart sir,hes mission is completed,the mighty one we fly close to up there knows best