PDA

View Full Version : Where Next?

Elroy Jettson
18th May 2006, 10:39
There are lots of posts about EK and other Knoteetingham pilots leaving the sandpit for numerous reasons. There is also mention that many are applying elsewhere, or plan to in the near future. Where are they going or applying to? Is it a case of "Anywhere but here!" or are there better T and Cs being offered?

Cheers. :)

SecurID
18th May 2006, 11:19
It is no longer about money, the package, Ts & Cs etc. Emirates is not what it was, Dubai is not what it was and the management hardly communicate and when they do it is without any degree of sincerity and thus no longer seem to care, although I would love to be proved wrong. We have had no face to face meetings with anyone for a long, long time now and the general opinion held is that we are being run by a few very greedy people acting as megalomaniac dictators.

With regards to money, the recent pay review was appallingly low compared to the price rises in Dubai (although the city promotes itself with regard to shopping, this place is no longer the place to get a cheap anything!) But the price of a day with the family is also becoming more expensive and the majority of us now are of the opinion that no amount of money offered would tempt us to work on days off.

Put simply, it just goes back to that story of the two buckets, one for money, the other for ****. You leave when the first one is full and as the **** seems to be applied liberally from up high, then the majority of us now have a bucket that is literally overflowing.

As for where next? I guess that most of us are looking for that dream job, but accept that it does not exist and if we are to cope with a bucket of **** then we want to be at home, in our own beds and live life to the fullest amongst friends and family.

bafanguy
18th May 2006, 15:48
It is no longer about money, the package, Ts & Cs etc. Emirates is not what it was, Dubai is not what it was and the management hardly communicate and when they do it is without any degree of sincerity and thus no longer seem to care, although I would love to be proved wrong. We have had no face to face meetings with anyone for a long, long time now and the general opinion held is that we are being run by a few very greedy people acting as megalomaniac dictators.
With regards to money, the recent pay review was appallingly low compared to the price rises in Dubai (although the city promotes itself with regard to shopping, this place is no longer the place to get a cheap anything!) But the price of a day with the family is also becoming more expensive and the majority of us now are of the opinion that no amount of money offered would tempt us to work on days off.
Put simply, it just goes back to that story of the two buckets, one for money, the other for ****. You leave when the first one is full and as the **** seems to be applied liberally from up high, then the majority of us now have a bucket that is literally overflowing.

SecurID,

Take your comments and remove "Emirates" and "Dubai" inserting the names of countless other once great airlines and their base cities and you have described the status of much of what we once knew as the airline industry.

While your company appears to have a specific problem or two, you are not living in another universe but are merely part of the industry.

Both my buckets filled at the same moment so the decision was easy.

Elroy Jettson
19th May 2006, 06:31
SecurID, great reply, thank you. Does that mean that very few are actually leaving, but many just wishing they could?

Bafanguy, congrats on both buckets filling at the same time. It is a rare and privileged position to be in, just dont get them mixed up! :)

SecurID
20th May 2006, 08:55
Elroy,

Yes, that is the case. However there have been 48 resignations this year out of about 1550 pilots, that's 3% in 5 months! Surely someone must care about that, but nothing has been said from up on high. Many want to leave but have loans and bonds etc. I would suggest that over 66% of all EK Flight Crew would leave tomorrow if they could go back home and work for a decent carrier. Certanily every single Captain that I have flown with has expressed that view and most FOs too, although the ones nearing command are obviously going to wait it out.

At a recent SQ interview one EK pilot applicant was asked why so many from EK were applying, the same was asked at a Dragonair interview. Remember, though, that not all crew talk about their plans and not all say if they have been interviewed etc. Not all EK pilots have been called for the interviews for positions that they had applied for so stay quiet about having applied.

I also know that it is the regular names coming up here and seemingly the same people talking about how things have gotten worse. Many do not post here because they are afraid that they will get caught. But it is not always as it seems and many IDs (this one included) are actually being used by a few people. Such is the paranoia under which we work. :rolleyes:

Bafanguy,

Yes, congrats! Not every pilot lives that dream, so well done on simultaneously managing career and life and to a successful outcome too!

I fully realise the problems that are evident in the industry worldwide, but all of our problems here are, I believe, down to two things: Communication and Appreciation. Sort them both out and you have a happier workforce willing to bend over when needed. Bending over is definately needed here, it's just that most of us don;t feel appreciated whilst doing so. That appreciation is certainly felt by the crewing controller as he/she has just got that flight away, but nothing will be heard from the people that made the policy so unworkable in the first place.

But then the policies that exist are set against eachother from the start. management (read SVP and above) get a multiple of the bonus that we receive. They are involved in managing budgets that they set out, that were subsequently cut on approval and then are left with no option other than to stay within that budget. When they do they get rewarded, but at what cost? The Flight crew are falling like flies due to fatigue, pilots are leaving and it will take a strong character with nothing to lose to write something down to someone who matters to try and change things for the right ethical and moral reasons; but sadly there is no Jerry Maguire amongst us.

In short, we are working to the limit for less money and with less family time than ever before. That message needs to be put to the highest aithority within EK and whilst a 7% payrise goes someway to ease the pain, the reality of record profits is a slap across the face and no amount of 'Well Done's!!!' as headlines in the company rag will reward me and make me feel appreciated.

I feel that enough has been said about EK on these pages and the management, despite denying they ever look here, are unperturbed at what they read. They certainly do believe that the 'few' that write here are the affected whingers and thus pay no attention. But there are many who genuinely want a message (cry for help if you will) to be heard yet nothing is ever done.

I am definately disturbed by the split between the ranks and am astounded and saddened by the vitriol directed towards one of our American DECs, recently awarded celebrity status, for just stating his opinions. Whilst I do not agree with them, I would not threaten to 'bash him' in the CBC; that thread went a bit too far. So, I am now going to gracefully going to retire from PPRuNe and breed Lop-Eared Guinea Pigs in my garden shed, thanks for having me.

4HolerPoler
20th May 2006, 09:49
It was our pleasure; our loss, is the Lop-Eared Guinea Pig's gain. Happy breeding.

4HP

ratpoison
20th May 2006, 10:40
So, how does one breed Lop-Eared Guinea Pigs. Is it the same as locals and goats, kiwi's and sheep.??:p

Watch it Rat, incoming.:=

Alphaprot
20th May 2006, 10:52
Oi, have a little cultural sensitivity, breeding pigs must be Haram on both counts, that is the breeding part and the pig part

brabazon1
20th May 2006, 17:58
Vote with your feet,talk is cheap.

alghazal
21st May 2006, 08:12
Hi guys,

Just wanted to add an EY contribution to yours.

Apparently, a few guys from EK got interviewed by EY in the last months.
Maybe, they were attracted by command within 2 years, but none joined yet, maybe due to the accomodation nightmare and the low value package.

Ey drivers are exactly in the same situation. Captains have their own plans, and usually keep these secret, but it's well known that Korean , Vietnam and Virgin are the aim.

For F/Os, training bonds and/or upgrade make everybody stay and hope...

EY could have been the dream airline, as EK used to be ( ?) but last hopes vanished with the last one way contract change ( of course not for the better ) and the insulting building offered for pilot accomodation.

Now , we are just heading the same way than you guys :ugh:

What's happening to you now , will shortly happen to us... sad isn't it ? as it's already on the way !!

We are to get a new management buddy coming from EK, anybody heard about it ?

Alphaprot
21st May 2006, 11:10
Yep, nice guy socially, total management YES man though. Expect no improvement