PDA

View Full Version : A/C Syndicate for CPL Training - YES/NO?

WannaBeBiggles
17th May 2006, 20:46
Hi

I have been toying with the idea of entering in to a syndicate in order to do my CPL, and just hiring an instructor.

My reasoning behind this is that I'm only paying running costs, not the schools markup on the aircraft.

Anyone done this before, or know of Pro's and Con's of doing this? (I'm sure there are many things I have not thought of!)

Also, if anyone knows of a syndicate in SE QLD that wouldn't mind a CPL student flying their aircraft, let me know!

Thanks in advance :)

scrambler
19th May 2006, 23:15
I would look at
a/ The cost of entering the syndicate
b/ Cost recovery on selling out of syndicate (and the want for people to buy in
c/ the hourly cost of the syndicate and annual fixed costs.
d/ aircraft type & availability

If you can on sell your share of the syndicate at a neutral price or better (ie not loose money over time) and your hourly costs (based on say 25 hours PA including the annual fixed costs) is around or less than hiring well go for it.

I was in a syndicate a few years ago, used that aircraft for hour building and a couple of CPL NAVS. Also my NVFR rating and the single part of my MECIR.

A huge bonus over the aircraft price savings, ability to take the aircraft away on a short trip for a weekend etc was the chance to meet a variety of top people with different interests in aviation.

zepthiir
20th May 2006, 01:18
Another thing to check before you do this is firstly, will the syndicate have insurance on their aircraft that will cover ab initio training and low hour pilots. Secondly a lot of schools have a higher hourly rate on the instructor only than the markup for an instructor in their own plane, just make sure that the higher cost of the instructor isnt going to nullify the savings you make on the plane.

I would expect you would still come out better off in the end provided, as scrambler said you can sell out of the syndicate without losing money on the initial investment. Also remember with syndicates on top of the hourly rate there is generally an annual maintenance fee to consider in your costs. Alpha flying group in Bankstown would be a good group to consider, you will generally be able to sell your share for what you paid for it with them, and your annual fee includes maintenance, landing and parking fees at bankstown and australia wide nav charges. Plus they charge on tacho time instead of VDO.

Zepth

dude65
20th May 2006, 01:26
Check this out

http://www.brisflying.org/

Also a couple of others on aeroclub.com.au.
BTW: I'm not a member