PDA

View Full Version : EMIRATES looking into CAPE TOWN

samueldethierry
17th May 2006, 19:02
Emirates, who have been the most succesful on the Middle East - Johannesburg route since start up several years ago, possibly could be looking into Cape Town, following Qatar Airways success. As Emirates have been doing so well to South Africa, it is an open idea for the airline, but the problem remains still reagrding slots and arrival gates in Cape Town. However, they are confident that if need be, something could be organised or arranged.

Anyone know anything else?
(someone who isn't going to rip my head off......thank you!)

AF022
17th May 2006, 19:28
I thought the bilateral was the issue, not the slots. I believe EK has the rights to 14 frequencies to SA, and they use all 14 to JNB.

samueldethierry
17th May 2006, 19:38
thanks, i didn't know that. I'm getting my info from ACSA Cape Town - a friend their mentioned that they would struggle to get good slots.
Thanks for the Update.

grjplanes
17th May 2006, 20:01
Isn't bilateral agreements between the countries, not specifying which airline, because Etihad Airways is also from the UAE, which gives a total of 16 flights for airlines from there.
Would be great though for EK to fly to CPT as well, I'm certain it won't hurt anyone, the demand is still very big!

George Tower
18th May 2006, 08:58
May be the Goldfish bowl operator can give us the true picture regarding slots at FACT. I find it hard to believe there can be a "lack of slots". I'm sure many UK provincial airports handle more movments than FACT does. But departure gates - that's a different story. From memory it seemed that BA for instance arrive early in the morning but then sit on the tarmac all day - this keeping the stands (and there's not that many) from being used by other aircraft.

Not sure how accurate a picture I'm painting but surely if the long haul carriers could turn around quicker - may be FACT could accommodate more long haul stuff? Then again I guess the likes of BA have probably taken account of many different factors in determining their schedules.

Deskjocky
18th May 2006, 13:15
You guys have it all wrong- Emirates can go to CPT from tomorrow if they chose to; they just have to decide how many of their allocated frequencies they want to route to JNB and how many to CPT. Qatar has chosen to tag CPT to the 4 JNB frequencies they already have to JNB- Emirates can do the same. They, however, want to have additional frequencies- this the DOT will not allow on the bilateral as this will have a negative impact on the South African domestic airlines. Emirates are not stupid, they know the revenue is in JNB and tagging is the most expensive way of extending your route network so don’t hold your breath to see an EK tail in the mother city any time soon. I very much doubt that Qatar will carry on with its tag once the Cape summer is over.