PDA

View Full Version : DEC at Etihad?

jafar
17th May 2006, 10:25
I would like to know if Etihad prefers DEC with a type rating and little total flight time rather than give a type rating like EK but to highly experienced guys?

jafar
17th May 2006, 11:27
I will go on with this:
EK DEC min 10.000 hours
EY DEC min 3.000 hours of which 500 hours on type!!!
Do I miss something here? Isn't 3000 hours extremely low? Just to save a type conversion?

Viru$
17th May 2006, 14:35
Sorry to ask , but what is DEC ??

ironbutt57
17th May 2006, 17:59
think it's time for anti-virus on this thread

jafar
18th May 2006, 05:35
DEC direct entry captain....Sorry thought it was obvious. I was wrong. The point is that very few airlines recruit captains on wide bodies and with so little experience

alghazal
18th May 2006, 09:46
You're right Jafar, 3000 hours is extremely low.....

That gives you an idea of the crew shortage.... Decreasing the standards is their only way to attract people, as housing is a nightmare.

No decent place to live at less than 150000 DHS a year compared to the allowance wich is ridiculously set at 90000 DHS a year. It's at least 15000 euros out of your pocket every single year, and rents are increasing at a "legal" rate of 20 % every 2 years.....

Not talking about the way they treat you ,with QR style memos ending up with " your compliance is mandatory"

A lot of guys refused to come after recruitment guys lied to them about utopic salary increase, house allowance increase etc...

Basically, it's getting worse and worse, your contract is being reviewed without your agreement, of course not for the better....

Life is made more and more difficult every day, with restrictions on staff travel, captain's authority reducing..., entering captain's discretion at home base on an everyday basis, crew forced to commute between abu dhabi and dubai everyday during 10 days for simulator sessions ( often around 4 hours drive a day ....!!!) , etc....

They are still hiring DEC on B777, but not on the bus apparently, but you know, things may change.... as everywherelse in the area...

The rate of growth is still amazing, not built on stable foundations, but still...It remains a godd place for getting promoted if you want it and if you are ready to be a good, death, blind and especially mute soldier.

Otherwise, cockpit atmosphere is generally speaking friendly and sometimes very pleasant.

Hope it was of any help.

4HolerPoler
18th May 2006, 09:55
:ok: Great first post alghazal - welcome to the forum & thanks for contributing.

4HP

jafar
18th May 2006, 11:28
Thanks Al Ghazal, for a fair opinion on the situation. I simply hope they will once change, and be ready to convert people like EK does. Maybe when the new sim building is finished? I can't stop thinking about the 320 accident at BAH, good weather, good aircraft....but what about the crew? Gulfair at that time, and Etihad today had more than one thing in common.

alghazal
18th May 2006, 16:08
That's also quite right.

It's well known now that we are heading unfortunately the exact same way:ugh:

EY and EK are creating a Emergency Response Unit in common shortly.... sounds like preparation for the worst...

EY also has the same people than GF at this time ...and the same manners. Maybe we will learn from previous and others' mistakes...

For the time being, there is no reason why they should change the way they treat the crews as there are still people applying. So no hope for the time being. Anyway, even if we put aircrafts on the ground, which will happen , sooner or later, they hide themselves behind awards they are the only one to compete for ... and they will do whatever they can do ,to hide the truth to the real boss.

Just another airline on the sand pit...

Marketing and Flt Ops are really improving, HR are heading the other way round .

Fly safe

fourplay
18th May 2006, 16:31
Yes 4HP Exactly what I was going to post.

Alghazal is right on the money, well said... all true! :ugh:

semper fi
19th May 2006, 14:04
So no hope for the time being. Anyway, even if we put aircrafts on the ground....

does aircraft exist in plural ????:confused:

belacan
27th May 2006, 23:01
Jafar, Why don't you reenter EY website and check the requirement for DEC and then think about it properly...I believed it is not as bad as you may think. By the way, you failed to mention 3000 JET hours and how can a pilot became a wide body Captain with only 3000 total hours prior joining EY. Where do they came from...your country maybe ..?

411A
28th May 2006, 02:18
Hmmm, much the same at SQ oh so many years ago.
DECaptains required on the B707 because SQ had massive orders in hand for the B747, and they were really short of suitable Commanders.
What to do?

They advertised in Flight International, and I applied, with 500 hours Command in the B707.

Bingo.
Charlie Chan (the DFO at the time) welcomed me with open arms and wanted to know...'do you know of anyone else that might be interested?'
I supplied three names, and these folks were hired in short order.

Most stayed for the long term.

My advise...go with the flow and see what happens.
Greener pastures are always on the horizon for those so qualified...on type.
Use EY as progress to another company that might indeed offer to pay higher salaries, and have better conditions.

I.E., make your OWN luck.

As for the guys already there, who HOPE to advance to Command...best of luck, however companies often overlook suitable guys, and this ain't likely to change anytime soon.
Sorry, this may be bad news, but 'tis the facts.

sec 3
28th May 2006, 05:04
The way it is at EY now is that if you have the required hours and it's your turn (date of hire), you'll get a shot at an upgrade:cool:

ETOPS
28th May 2006, 10:03
semper fi

does aircraft exist in plural ????

No. It's the same type of word like "sheep". i.e one sheep, two sheep not sheeps :)

So we say "Emirates will park many aircraft........" not aircrafts.

ironbutt57
28th May 2006, 10:51
or airplanes

semper fi
28th May 2006, 20:22
....or furniture ? ..........:p

411A
29th May 2006, 04:58
..or altitude.

Heard over Turkey one night, by a pilot doing an announcement to the pax, but having the comm radio selected instead..

'....and we are cruising at 35,000 foots.'

fourplay
29th May 2006, 11:17
Some people keep fishes at home in a tank :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ETOPS
29th May 2006, 12:33
fishes

Interesting one. The use of fishes (as in loaves and fishes) tends to sound archaic today. Modern usage would be happy with "a shoal of fish" as in the sheep example above.

Isn't English wonderful................;)