PDA

View Full Version : Cessna F406

Flying brick
17th May 2006, 09:04
Looking for some numbers/settings/performance for F406. We re supposed to be operating this plane in tropical conditions. Same for PA31. Any info is wellcome.

Capt. Glenn Quagmire
19th May 2006, 20:01
Hi there.
I did some flying on the F406. It was not the Mark II that they produce now which has more horsepower. We operated in hot and high conditions and my opinion is that it was underpowered. we had the incresed t/o weight option with 9860 lbs take off wt and on one engine it wouldn't really climb. It isn't pressurised which is a shame and it was far too noisy in my opinion. It has trailing link u/c so landings will be fun;) expect to see 225ktsTAS(ours had a cargo pod) at FL110. If you have any other specific questions let me know.
Quagmire

Flying brick
20th May 2006, 08:44
Thanks Captain,

I have done 2 hours in the plane, here in Belgium. In Africa, it will be the old one as well with 2x 500 hp. I think it is a straight forward airplane with not surprises. Where did you fly the F406?

Tx again,
FB

Flying Farmer
20th May 2006, 13:51
Hi I have spent a few hours in the PA31-350.

In UK conditions at anything approaching MAUW the Chieftains performance is not what you would like from a public transport aircraft. Single engine at high weights I shudder to imagine the outcome, possibly a forced landing if the failure is early in the climb! If operating in the tropics the PA31s performance is going to be marginal.

Capt. Glenn Quagmire
20th May 2006, 14:54
FB

I flew the 406 in southern africa. Whilst training at times we were not allowed to use rudder trim when engine out. It was pure torture:) But you will not get any surprises with the F406.
With regards to the PA31-350 i flew it form the right seat a couple of times(again in Southern Africa) and it is fun to fly but IT is underpowered, with no hope with an engine out in african conditions. Also the engines were a bit tempremental from what i recall.

Enjoy the flying

glenn