PDA

View Full Version : Charters to Canaries

bluefalcon
16th May 2006, 18:41
Buenas Tardes!
To all crews flying regularly or on charter basis to any of the main airports in the canaries such as ACE, LPA, TFS, and FUE, ; its seen to me almost with every foreign airline that arrives to the islands that they don´t seem to take the chance of proceding with a visual approach. I strongly recommend the oppportunity of requesting such approach, even with a preceding traffic infront of you (always on sight of course) as it is a chance that in many few airports you can take now a days. The controllers are used to such enquiries by the spanish carriers and if possible they´ll be happy to grant them. Its of course another chance of taking our profession in a more exciting level and even more after a long flight from northern europe,:suspect: I strongly recommend the visual to Lpa with a turn before the "arinaga" mountain ( about 3,5 nm from threshold rwy 03 L/R). Normally theres pretty gusty winds so its a good chance to practice skills, let me know what other visuals you recommend around other places,

Cheers to all, and many happy approaches

;)

Buster the Bear
16th May 2006, 20:44
My experience of ACE whilst sunning my fur, is that the visual approach is the favoured method of arrival, overhead the airport followed by a visual approach. The view of the final approach at Matagorda is superb, if only it was not so windy! Maybe the flight deck crew are getting lazy after a 4 hour flight from Europe? :}

I guess the chances of getting a visual approach at busier TFS and LPA are much reduced. I also thought that most flights arriving at FUE requested a visual approach subject to weather/cloud base?

bluefalcon, a lovely part of the world with a brilliant climate, you should try living at Whipsnade Zoo!

Flap15Geardown
16th May 2006, 22:20
I thought that an ils approach to FUE was only used for spacing or practice if the weather was fine. Most arrivals I've seen from my normal perch in Calletta have been visual and all the approaches on the flight deck certainly were.

bluefalcon
17th May 2006, 16:11
Certainly these past days have been nothing but nice, opened up skies all over the canaries, approaching FUE while having Lpa and the snowed Teide peak at the horizon is really something I suppose you may also have experienced an island hopping, in which after a 4 hours flight is a bit like taking you to the edge, try ACE-FUE in 8 mins, at 5000 ft, for example, :} ,no time even to enjoy the views., Anyone did VOR App RWY 21 in ACE at night or bad weather? that is the other side of the coin from the canaries, :uhoh:
I dont have much experience on other islands or cool places where allowed to complete on visual, could you give me any advices on any,

Cheers:ok: