PDA

View Full Version : Varig - really 'that' bad??

Bristol based Taffy
16th May 2006, 16:03
Hi All

My first posting on here, although I have been a regular watcher from the sidelines for some time.

I'm off to Brazil in September and booked on Varig London - Rio, plus a variety of internal flights, all with Varig.

Every report I've read since I booked it seems to slate Varig for it's apparently appalling service.!!!!!

Some honest opinions would be appreciated :rolleyes:

XSBaggage
16th May 2006, 19:10
Never flown on them internationally, but no problems at all on domestic flights with service comparable to all the others in Brazil, and all my flights have been on schedule or pretty close to it. Internationally I dont know, but have heard on the Brazilian news that they have nearly reached an agreement to restructure. Might split the international services into a new airline. Have heard different reports from different people re the quality of international flights. Wouldnt worry, they will get you there, and when it comes to Brazil that is the important thing! You wont want to leave.

XSB

mutt
16th May 2006, 20:42
Flew on them LHR-Sao Paulo -LHR last year.

Well, what can one expect from a MD11 operator, they got me to and from my destination in time! Nothing appalling nor nothing amazing about the service.

Mutt

alemaobaiano
17th May 2006, 13:36
Are they that bad? No, but they aren't that good either.

Standards have declined quite a lot in recent years as a result of their debt problems and serious mis-management, and you can sometimes find cabin crew who are a little bit miffed about things going on with the company, but they are still a very reasonable airline to travel with. Varig in 2006 is definately not the same as Varig 1996, but they generally do the job.

Varig are no longer the domestic airline of choice here, TAM and GOL are both considered better than Varig in their market segments and it's been a while since I flew Varig in Brazil. Again, they aren't the best and won't be winning any service awards, but they do have a good route network and they will get you where you are going.

One thing to remember is that their situation will have been resolved before September, so you will need to keep up with any developments in the coming months. As has been mentioned they will probably be split into two new carriers, one domestic and the other international. What that means for the traveller is anybody's guess.

ab

Bristol based Taffy
17th May 2006, 20:28
Thanks for the 'sensible' replies folks.

I will be watching for any signs of the posible changes you've suggested may happen.

Hey I've flown Lao Aviation.. and survived...so they can't be that BAD!!!!:eek: :eek: