PDA

View Full Version : SACAA going JAR next year??

ghostrider42
16th May 2006, 06:31
Anyone else heard if this is going to happen? Have heard that we are going JAR next year, new syllabus, exams etc. Existing licences will be converted but people without/half subjects will lose them?

Anyone out there heard anything similair? This came from someone senior at the CAA who i spoke to

saywhat
16th May 2006, 07:10
I find it very difficult to believe. If it is true, then I'm sure that the SACAA will just photostat the JAR regulations and operate by them. There is no way on this earth that our CAA will get through a JAR audit...............

Anyway, it is of no importance, as the CAA can't enforce our present system, there will be no difference when they don't enforce the next system.

porridge
16th May 2006, 19:18
Agree with Saywhat
They have no hope with JAR, they might align with it but that is like pegging the Rand to the US dollar (Don't Cry for me Argentina!) - it means little.
Also there is talk on another thread that they want to stop foreign validations, so if someone comes to SA with a JAR license will they recognise it, or do what the French do - only recognise their own issued JAR licenses?

Shrike200
16th May 2006, 19:23
For those that know, how far apart are the two systems, JAR and ours? I agree about failing a JAR audit, but frankly, it seems like an admirable goal.

planetblu
16th May 2006, 20:34
Please do not underestimate SA aviation system.
Jaa is just a different club based on huge amounts of papers. Nothing more.

SIC
17th May 2006, 05:20
Hav to agree there - although there are some aspects of our CAA that can be improved JAR is not necessarily better. As has been mentioned the Europeans just do a hell of a lot more paperwork which triples cost as well as the amount of employees needed - OH MY IT JUST STRUCK ME - maybe this is just a job creation smoke screen....

KESHO
17th May 2006, 06:15
The day the CAA is able to meet JAR requirements will be the day!

planetblu- What do you base your opinion on the JAR system being "just a different club based on huge amounts of papers. Nothing more."?
I beg to differ on your point. Comparing the two is like comparing the World Cup held in Germany this year to the one that will hopefully be held in South Africa in 2010. The local system, as most African systems, struggle to maintain any standard, due to various obvious reasons, but mainly because it is Africa we are dealing with. It is bad enough having the likes of Spain, Portugal and other "so called first world european nations" under the JAR emblem. How on earth will the SA CAA meet up with JAR qualities when its colourful events of bribery and corruption are not in the too far history?

If this does happen, I am pretty sure it will not happen in the near future, but rather in the very far future.

Shrike200
17th May 2006, 07:45
More or less paperwork is irrelevant, thats the CAA's job - the fact is that practically (I would imagine, I could be wrong here) the two systems aren't that far apart, and therefore going the extra mile to comply with JAR standards is a worthwhile goal (again, thats just my opinion). While Europeans may feel that their JAR system would be 'cheapened' by an African country being compliant, I think it would open up great oportunities for SA training institutions, as well as opening up a few more opportunities for SA pilots overseas - a very good thing, considering the restrictions facing many of the 'currently disadvantaged' pilots in SA.

Besides, being held to a high standard is never a bad thing in aviation, IMHO. Our CAA still has some work to do though before that would be possible, I would agree!

609FC
17th May 2006, 07:54
I was under the impression that there were no com licenses under the jar system, only frozen atp's. If so what happens to all the com guys?

Phenomenon
17th May 2006, 08:04
I'll be the first to agree that the SACAA are not the most competant or stable bunch that I've seen together but you have to agree that at least they are trying and they are slowly getting better.

Even if it is a poor attempt, they are at least trying to upgrade the exam databases apparently and they are trying to get to world standards. I've seen some other country's CAA's and DCA's and I have to say that the SACAA looks like a fortune 500 company compared to those!

Let's give them a chance boys and see what happens... what have we/they got to lose?

Don't shoot the horse before the leg aint broken! :ok:

Stratocaster
17th May 2006, 16:10
Well, how can I say this ?
The JAA head-quarters will close on the 31st of December 2006. For ever.

Sooo... I guess we're not talking about JAR, but EASA regulations (a.k.a. "parts"). The big difference is that JAR were merely recommended practices while EASA Parts are EU laws. There's no way you can fool around this time and try to bypass the initial requirement.

You can say what you want, but the EASA is quite an improvement compared to JAA. At least this time they take the time to listen to the industry and fix what's wrong in the regs. Okay, it's not as efficient and "user-friendly" as the FAA yet, but we'll get there... eventually. :}