PDA

View Full Version : Hour building for CPL

propelled
16th May 2006, 04:46
G'day all,
I'm just interested if anyone on here has any tips/advice/experience in building hours for CPL issue. I have my PPL with around 100hrs and need to get to 200 with nvfr rating included..
I'll most likely do an hour or 2 each month and complete the nvfr rating until I hav the money saved to complete the remaining hours all in one hit...maybe over a few weeks of annual leave- would that be a good way to do it?
Also, i was looking at other threads regarding building hours overseas.... has anyone here done that b4 and can share that experience? Otherwise, I think the plan will be to perhaps find an aircraft owner willing to rent for a 'block' of hours and go tour oz..
i'm probably 6-9 months away from being able to afford that, but thought i'd better start figuring out the most cost effective way(if there is such a thing;) ) to complete it all now..
look forward to any replies,
cheers.

Bort Simpson
16th May 2006, 05:16
Definately get away from where you've done your training. Getting out from under your instructor's and school's wing is a great experience and a valuable one. My suggestion, go bush as the lack of reference features will certainly make you appreciate what reference features are available from where you train regularly.

Another sugggestion is to find another pilot in the same situation and alternate the flying legs. Yuo get to see more of the country for less $$ and you still get experience whilst sittting along side in the right.

I don't know about going o/s but that would obviously involve a ppl conversion and related extra expenses of the check flight and the cost of getting there in the first place.

If you are going bush and wanting to keep expenses down, then get an aircraft with a fuel card and plan you route around that, as paying normal rural prices can hurt your back pocket.

Hope this helps,

Bort.

Capt. Wingdrop
16th May 2006, 05:29
This was discussed recently:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223967&highlight=hour+building+cpl

Also, is it possible for your to enrol in a 150hr CPL course?

Considered doing multi-engine training as part of the hours (you'll probably need to do it at some stage anyway).

Cheapest way is to grab some friends or pilot buddies, hire and plane and split the costs. Don't go putting around your local area for 50 hours - you'll learn nothing. Go to different airports and challenge yourself (that does not mean VFR into IMC or anything!).

M.25
16th May 2006, 06:43
With your long term goals in mind (cpl/atpl) you might want to think about doing your night rating as soon as you can afford to and then flying as much as possible at night. This would give you better 'bang for your buck' as you will be building total time, command time and night time all at once. Night hours can be very hard to get once you start working a single engine job, and become very valuable down the line. This will also keep you thinking with regards to lowest safe altitudes, navaids, alternates etc. It would also be worth planning some navigation exercises with your instructor just prior to attempting the cpl flight test. Most importantly keep your personal standards high when you are out there on your own!

Just some thoughts:ok:

jetstar1
16th May 2006, 07:23
May I be so bold to suggest 100 hours of circuits in a C150? NAIL those landings!

Nope get real find someone in the same position and blast off into the far blue yonder. Get your NVFR before you go if you can. This could realistically get you 40hrs but as for the next 60 :eek: don't know. Seriously investigate the 150hr course as it will save some serious kanga. Save yourself some hours at the end (ie 10-15) for some solo navs just to get you really confident when the test comes around. Other than that, earn-spend-earn-spend until the CFI says 'congratulations!'

Good luck

propelled
16th May 2006, 07:49
hey thanks alot for the tips guys.. yep i think that should b the track i follow,
ie: get the nvfr + possibly multi rating, then just head off and see more of this country of ours when i have the cash.. .. in the meantime i'll finish the cpl exams and play the waiting game..lol....
as for the 150hr course.. im not 2 sure on that.. i think u have to be doing your flight trg on a more regular basis whilst doing the theory trg? can any1 correct me on this? I've had my ppl close to 2 yrs, just flying the odd hour here and there with the odd nav/weekend away.. the flying club i am in can not offer the 150hr course.. I might give some flying schools a call to query that option..

thats a great idea about finding others wanting to build hrs also.. will look into that closer to when i can afford it.. any ideas on finding others in the same situation? i'm in a small club and dont know many others flying towards cpl.. maybe i'll ring around the larger flying schools and ask if any students would b interested..

anyway thanks once again.. im still amazed how quick i got helpful replies..

cheers

turnerab
16th May 2006, 09:13
hi propelled,

im in a similar situation to yourself and also based in sydney. PM me if you want to discuss this x-country flying further.

barney01
16th May 2006, 11:12
I got my 100hrs command in a Jabiru. Cost me $50 an hour at the time (yes it was a while ago!). Still is some of the cheapest command hours out there - and yes, hours in an RAA registered plane count.

At the other end of the scale is doing a lot of those hours in a twin. This might make things easier when you start looking for the that first twin job later on.

PM if I can help with more info.

TLAW
16th May 2006, 21:42
turnerab and propelled,

I am in the same boat as you - small world ain't it?:ok:

dude65
16th May 2006, 22:54
First thing to do is work out how much cash you have for each flight.
If you have $500 for a particular flight ,you know that's going to get you about 3 hours in a c172. Grab your wac chart and find somewhere about an hour and a half flight time away. Head out West. Although blasting up and down the coast offers great scenery,it's not that challenging. Take someone with you as well. You'll fly better if you know you're being scrutinised.

propelled
17th May 2006, 08:01
thanks guys,

I have sent a few pm's and appreciate everyones reply.. Will definitely be using these forums again for more helpful advice when needed

cheers