PDA

View Full Version : How does SWA assign pax seating ?

Kiwiguy
16th May 2006, 03:47
I gather that Southwest does not assign specific seats to passengers ?

If so then how do they ensure correct balance/trim of aircraft ?

Do they assign by seat rows and then let punters choose the specific seat or what ?

Keygrip
16th May 2006, 04:37
The first 45 pax to check in (by any means - on-line or at the desk) receive a boarding pass endorsed with the letter A.

The next 45 to check in get a pass bearing a letter B. Everybody else gets a letter C.

When the aircraft arrives at the gate, it has often come from elsewhere and will continue onwards under the same flight number. Those who wish to deplane, do so. Those who wish to stay on board for onward travel are asked to stay seated in their original seats until a head count has been completed - then they are free to move rows and sit wherever they wish.

When boarding starts, they start with the "pre-boards" (aged and infirm, wheelchair, families with kids (or, more often 7 adults and one kid (never did understand the make up of those "families")). The pre-boards can sit anywhere they wish - except the emergency exit rows.

Then, in open boarding, all the letter A's go first and sit where they wish. Then the B's follow suit - then the C's all board and sit where they can.

That's it -- until the next stop (at which point they hit the replay button and it all happens again).

Kiwiguy
16th May 2006, 05:16
Thanks Keygrip. I am familiar with how Air New Zealand does things with the carina computer system (inherited from BA) whereby every single seat is pre-planned. If a late runner turns up and the boarding has finished, but the plane isn't pushed back they have to re-open the flight and reallocate a specific seat dah da dah.

So in terms of affecting trim is that a problem, or are seats usually so scarce that it doesn't arise in practice ?

I am contemplating starting a venture and am looking for ways to cut costs and operate smarter. Is the SWA system at all compatible with IATA booking systems or are they worlds apart ?

Reason why I ask this is for the potential to work out inter-planing or code shares with full IATA airlines ?

Mike773
16th May 2006, 11:01
I've never done W&B for a 737 (only 747s and other multi-cabin beasties) so I have a query:

On a 747 for example there are multiple cabins (OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, UD) and multiple lower deck positions that all have different arms and moments that affect the CG. But on a 737 that has only one cabin, how is the CG calculation accomplished? Is the cabin split into some seperate "mini cabins"?

I'm not familiar with any of the W&B functions of Carina (only the DCS parts) but I know that my airline's system is 100% plugged into the DCS and all seat changes etc. are updated on-the-fly allowing an instant CG calculation. I assume Carina and most other major systems work the same. Is W&B for NZ done is Carina? I just assumed Carina was a reservations and DCS system. For us, evey system is seperate but linked. A bit of a pain sometimes! Always have to have the manual handy... how do you delete a filed ATC plan again? :O

airbusthreetwenty
16th May 2006, 13:36
I work for Jetstar a LCC in Australia. We have an open seating arrangement like Southwest in the states. Up until recently when policy changed, we would ensure the correct trim by blocking off designated rows of seats in the aircraft.

About a couple of months ago, this procedure has changed and now the correct trim is worked out by counting the pax in the forward and aft sections of the aircraft. If the differential is greater than 20 pax in either forward of aft, pax will be asked to move seats.

:)