PDA

View Full Version : Met Police recruiting again!!

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th Jun 2005, 15:23
I see the Met Police have an ad for pilots in todays FI. £50k a year and the chance to sit around ppruning all day ! Hey SilsoeSid - have you retired then??

Fortyodd
28th Jun 2005, 15:31
I think you'll find that should read "more helicopter Pilots". ;)

Droopy
28th Jun 2005, 15:48
The ad reads "...changes in the way air support is provided has led to the requirement for helicopter pilots from mid August..."

So who flew them before, the hangar cat? :confused:

jayteeto
28th Jun 2005, 16:12
If you get more helicopters, dont you normally need more pilots?

Droopy
28th Jun 2005, 16:31
Have they put down their deposit on the 145 yet?

Thomas coupling
28th Jun 2005, 17:36
3 x 145's........................

SASless
28th Jun 2005, 17:55
Do they hire broken down old Redneck po-leece from the States?

What Limits
28th Jun 2005, 18:11
Q1. Have you got a pulse?
Q2. Have you got a UK/JAR Licence?

Right. you're in then!

SASless
28th Jun 2005, 18:21
Yes....on both counts...bi-lingual too...English and American.

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th Jun 2005, 18:59
and also you need...

2000TT
355 rating + IR
500 twin
500VMC low level
100 night

+ police experience an advantage...er...that counts me out then !

Text PILOT to 84118 to sign up !!

( and you must promise not to end up like TC ! )

Hummingfrog
28th Jun 2005, 21:59
I have 500hrs IFR low level as well:D

But there again I couldn't accept the 40% pay cut:E

HF

SASless
28th Jun 2005, 22:08
I knew there was a trick....355 rating....dug around in me bag....and that was about the only one I didn't have....drats! If the Met is like my old polis place...that makes sense....we had to have five years as a foot patrolman to be considered a pilot slot....never mind the 2500 hours I had in '72 and being a current Territorial Pilot flying more sophisticated aircraft than the one being operated by the Polis.

Thomas coupling
28th Jun 2005, 22:10
i read it as the 355 and IR as optional extras?

I'll ask Brian when I see him next month why he's paying so little:p

aeromys
28th Jun 2005, 22:39
If they're getting six helis, they might might now get to keep TWO of them in the sky at once :ouch:

TheFlyingSquirrel
29th Jun 2005, 02:09
TC is right - I read it again and it appears that the 355 rating and the IR are not required to apply. Go for it SASless - the Met could do with someone decent working for them - then you too can keep me awake at 3 in the morning looking for poxy car thieves outside my window !
:}

SASless
29th Jun 2005, 02:39
Oh, right....I can see it now....pilot of Met Po-leece chopper on the radio....."Hey ya'll, the rascal you'uns is looking fer...is a hidin' unnerneaf the dumpster over yonder by the burger joint! Open up a great big ol' can of Whoop Ass when you get ahold of him!"

Somehow...I just don't reckon that would fly!;)

Thud_and_Blunder
29th Jun 2005, 05:59
Actually, SASless, I understood more of what you just said than I would if I was hovering over the Isle of Dogs listening to fluent Estuarine...

In Brum, even the bobbies had to pause before replying to any Black Country PC, just to make sure they'd interpreted everything correctly. As for Coventry; just make sure you use words of half-a-syllable or less!

(Completely unfair of course, but why let the truth get in the way of an old dit)

ossie_lation
29th Jun 2005, 07:53
The only police experience I have is a speeding fine on the M6 years ago. Does that count?

TheFlyingSquirrel
29th Jun 2005, 09:09
oh, and SASless, you will not get a gun - so that's you out then?

FloaterNorthWest
1st Jul 2005, 11:24
Just got the application pack and no mention of 355 rating nor IR just the basic hour requirements.

Guess they may help but if you have the hours why not apply, there is a shortage of the right pilots at the moment.

FNW

SASless
1st Jul 2005, 13:53
TFS,

When a police helicopter pilot needs a gun...there will be plenty of them laying about on the ground....all one has to do is pick one up and get into the fight.

Last job of this sorts I had....we had a group of shaved apes in the cabin with all sorts of things that go bang....along with a GPMG in the cabin door. We were serious about speeders in that jurisdiction. One got arrested for improper parking and shot for speeding.

Aw....jes kidding about shooting speeders....unless you had nicked some stuff that glowed in the dark.

Plodin Along
3rd Jul 2005, 11:28
SASless,

Might have missed the point (usually do !!)

BUT

We don't carry guns over here, especially in a the heli (well unless you are giving a lift to the firearms team !!)

And re talking on the radio, we will just leave you to talk to air traffic (and the crew) the Po leeece don't speak with you pilots, they are not allowed !!!!

As for the apes, having met and worked with the Met staff up there, they are not apes, although some are grumpy old men !!!!

PA ;)

Brian Dixon
8th Jul 2005, 18:47
Saw this whilst wandering about cyberland. Thought it might interest someone.
Met Police Helicopter Pilot Vacancy (http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=603)

If you go for it - good luck!
Brian

Helipolarbear
10th Jul 2005, 13:42
Not too shabbee on the pay. Beats the 37k offered in Belfast. + there is an allowance for London!! Got to be one of the best Local jobs in the UK!!!:cool:

aeromys
10th Jul 2005, 13:51
And you'll get to see the Olympics for free !

Whirlygig
10th Jul 2005, 14:15
Helipolarbear,

The difference though in house prices between Belfast and London are such that I would rather have the £37k in N'orn Oireland and have a higher standard of living and possibly better quality of life :ok: And I know both cities very well!!

Cheers

Whirls

Helipolarbear
10th Jul 2005, 16:48
WhirlyG: There is that and the big city-small city point of view. The job in NI is strictly VFR at the moment and a new operation to the region, where as the Met are the origin of the spiecies....UK that is!:) :ouch:

Whirlygig
10th Jul 2005, 18:25
Did I say I was going for it? I just said that £37k in Belfast would probably get one a higher standard of living 'cos £50k and a measley London Weighting isn't THAT good a remuneration package.

Is that OK Blind?

Cheers

Whirls

332mistress
10th Jul 2005, 20:48
Co-pilots on the N Sea get more than £37K and some even approach £50K - though you may have to work out of Aberdeen;)

£50K seems cheap for an experienced pilot,

332M

whoateallthepies
10th Jul 2005, 20:56
Most police pilots can only dream of 50k 332mistress. It's a much more enjoyable job than the North Sea but still pays bottom dollar. I hope the MET wages might start to push things up.

SASless
10th Jul 2005, 21:56
Whirls,

You go Girl! I would love to be pinched by you! Question though....how do you get a headset on over one of those Bobby Helmet things.....don't they rub against the green house a bit?

mctavish
10th Jul 2005, 23:52
As I understand the package - on top of the £50k pa basic the Met also include an annual increase starting at 5% end of year 1, 7.5% at end of year 2 and 10% at the end of year 3 bringing the basic up to £55K. At the end of the 3rd year the salary is then re-assessed to ensure that it reflects the 'market'.

With the paid annual / sick leave, non-contributable pension etc. I would have thought that this is as good as most UK VFR on shore packages get (except for living in the SE) but then the flying should make up for that.

Droopy
11th Jul 2005, 08:30
SASless, the term "Bobbie's Helmet" doesn't always mean what you think in the UK.... you'd need a rather small headset.....OK I'll get me coat....

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
11th Jul 2005, 08:45
Do they expect you to live within a certain distance of the "office" ? If so, property would probably be expensive........

NEO

goaround7
11th Jul 2005, 10:15
Info no. is 0845 7272212 between 8am and 6pm

or :

+44 (0)208 358 0432

if you really want to know...

SASless
11th Jul 2005, 11:50
Droops,

That is why I only go with ladies that have very small hands.

Ivor E Tower
30th Jul 2005, 15:35
Been out of touch for a while. Anyone know when the closing date for the Met job was, am I too late?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
30th Jul 2005, 16:12
Would they be expected to work out of both bases, or could they choose which one and operate out of it permanently ?

Sorry if that seems a silly question, but the north east of London would a real problem for me commuting wise.

NEO.

paco
30th Jul 2005, 16:17
The closing date was July 19th, but I suspect they'll be looking again

Phil

Ivor E Tower
30th Jul 2005, 16:48
Thanks Paco

NEO, I thought they only worked out of one base now. The Fairoaks base is now used by Surrey.

modest chap
31st Jul 2005, 10:54
Dear flying squirrel, or should I say MG. You would not pass the interview. You need to build a few hours first and then some more, then you would'nt pass the interview. Do you see the point ?

MightyGem
31st Jul 2005, 13:34
Not me, guv.

MG

TheFlyingSquirrel
31st Jul 2005, 19:30
er....I wouldn't be applying old bean....I aint the copper type !

212man
31st Jul 2005, 21:15
(ps the cheques in the post)

Glad we kept it at that and didn't recite the full trilogy!!!!

Whirlygig
31st Jul 2005, 22:12
Trilogy?

I thought there were four eternal lies! Or perhaps that's just the story of my life!

Cheers

Whirls

Droopystop
1st Aug 2005, 18:23
....if I am to ever get a real flying job away from R22's!!

Oh how I miss the R22. Wouldn't give up my real flying job, but what I would give to have to opportunity to do the odd trial lesson in a Robbie.

Little birdie tells me that the Met police are going to have a winch fitted to their shiny new 145s? Trying their luck at SAR?

morris1
1st Aug 2005, 19:16
Little birdie tells me that the Met police are going to have a winch fitted to their shiny new 145s? Trying their luck at SAR?

Ssshhh... dont tell the CAA..

That stuff's waaaaaaaaaaaayy outside the PAOM..

You can have a winch if you want
You can use it, if its a life and death job.
BUT..........
You had better not.
1.Write any SOPs
2.Do ANY training..!!

'cos you'll be on a fizzer....

212man
1st Aug 2005, 21:48
Whirls,
I never lie about the fourth option, hence a trilogy!!!

;)

Whirlygig
1st Aug 2005, 21:52
Ah, I see, so you mean it when you say "The cheque's in the post?"

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlygig
1st Aug 2005, 22:20
NOOOOOO

KMS, this isn't JetBlast; we all knew what I meant; you don't have to come out and say it :p :O

Cheers

Whirls

212man
2nd Aug 2005, 14:13
Glad to see decorum in deforum has been restored....

Morris1, why's that then? What's up with meeting CAT winching standards?

DBChopper
2nd Aug 2005, 15:58
Flungdung,

First one arrives next March, I believe.

Thomas coupling
2nd Aug 2005, 18:22
It will never be the same after 7/7.

The boundaries are being pushed back more now than ever.
Winching, abseiling...who knows what else:E

Things will change forever under the PAOM I suspect and very very shortly????????

FloaterNorthWest
17th Oct 2005, 12:26
It's two weeks since the interviews finished, has any announcement been made or has anybody heard now many are going to be taken on?

FNW

SilsoeSid
17th Oct 2005, 12:53
While you're all waiting for the results, anyone heard of a restriction for the EC145 on tight turns below 70kts?

:ugh:
SS

RotorPig
17th Oct 2005, 16:21
So what is the deal with the 145 and where is the information available?

PANews
17th Oct 2005, 16:24
The Silsoe Kid rides again!

And I thought you had retired!

I guess any BK operator might know....

... and they do not seem to know.... and nothing currently at FAA...

There are similar rumours circulating about vibration issues concerning police A109 and 119s in the orbit .... not mixing the types up I hope!?

Thomas coupling
18th Oct 2005, 11:14
Rotorpig: EC145 (http://www.eurocopter.com/ec145/TD_EC145.pdf)

For training with a winch you need to be SSE all the time if you are carrying passengers. Police officers are passengers.

Winches are not only used for SAR, they could allegedly be used to transfer from a helo to an obstructed platform, couldn't they?

Nail The Dream
20th Oct 2005, 17:34
Hmmm.....

Can't see anything in TC's link to the EC145 Technical Data - is there anything in the Flight Manual about "tight turns below 70 knots are to be avoided" ? :rolleyes:

Anyone got a copy ;)

SilsoeSid
20th Oct 2005, 18:45
I'm surprised the misspelling of PIANO wasn't picked up before going to print!

;)
SS

FloaterNorthWest
21st Oct 2005, 15:54
Rumour has it that white smoke has been seen over Lippetts Hill...

FNW

Thud_and_Blunder
21st Oct 2005, 20:15
Probably just means they're burning the evidence... :D

SilsoeSid
23rd Oct 2005, 09:31
Can anyone confirm the statement made in the Defence Helicopter World that says, 'looking further into the flight manual, there are restrictions with tight turns below 70 knots and they are to be avoided'.

I just don't happen to have an EC145 FM to hand. :rolleyes:

Thanks
SS

RotorPig
24th Oct 2005, 08:09
I believe you may be refering to

Flight Manual BK 117 C-2

Para 4.13.2

Warning

AVOID STEEPRIGHT TURNS AT AIRSPEEDS BELOW 70KIAS CLOSE TO THE GROUND IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN SUFFICIENT LATERAL CONTROL MARGIN FOR RECOVERY.

Lateral control characteristics of single rotor helicpters are significantly influenced by forward speed (airspeed), bank angles and related g-loads.

During high load factor maneuvers at airspeeds below 70 KIAS the cyclic stick can reach the left lateral stop before retreating blade-stall entry.

Reduction of the load factor and/or nose-left side slip will improve lateral control margin.

Any pilot with flying time on the beast care to comment?

cyclic
24th Oct 2005, 10:48
I think you will find the Bo105 has the same piece of advice in the FM - I thought it was something to do with rigid rotor characteristics although never found it to be a problem uner most circumstances.

FloaterNorthWest
27th Oct 2005, 09:22
I have heard that the first two to be offered the immediate vacancy have turned it down. One person has accepted an offer of the next vacancy to come up when Sussex go directly employed and one person has had a non. I am not sure how many interviewed.

I only know these as they are all in the same company.

FNW

Mikila1A
27th Oct 2005, 12:10
It IS in the 105 FM, one must be very dilligent at low speed when turning sharply right from downwind to into wind. You WILL run out of left lateral very quickly, a little scary at first but like anything we learn from our scares...NO?

The AC was even more suspetable with a load on the hook.

cyclic
27th Oct 2005, 12:32
Yes, having done quite a bit of load lifting with a 105 I can confirm that is quite noticeable with a load underneath but there again there is no reason to be doing steep right hand turns when underslinging.

Thomas coupling
27th Oct 2005, 19:12
Floater: Why have they refused the job?

MightyGem
28th Oct 2005, 07:50
...and do they work for the same company as you?

tgilson
28th Oct 2005, 08:40
If they have refused the job - can I have it ???
PLEEEEEEEEEZE !!!!!!!

Love to be buzzing around London all day and get paid for it too !

FloaterNorthWest
28th Oct 2005, 10:29
TC - Personal reasons

Mighty Gem - Yes.

FNW

Thomas coupling
28th Oct 2005, 19:44
Why bother to apply then - if you are not going to accept when they offer you the job??????

Geoffersincornwall
28th Oct 2005, 20:21
Because it's one of those traditions in the chopper business. It's a way of making a statement to your present employer without actually having to do anything concrete.

G:

:E

Thud_and_Blunder
29th Oct 2005, 08:16
TC,

Back on resettlement training they taught us to apply for at least 3 appointments at a time, to help cushion the occasional disappointment of rejection. It makes sense for applicants to give themselves the best range of options before committing themselves to a new career, don't you think?

Why should potential employers have the monopoly on choice?

Thomas coupling
29th Oct 2005, 09:49
This is a very small industry we work in (UK Police). The vacancy was for a directly employed pilot which is a sought after slot in this trade.
Provided you can live near Lippitts Hill the salary isn't bad at all. The job is unique.

Totalling all those up, makes this a very rare opportunity indeed. And for someone to go to the trouble of applying and succeeding, only to throw the offer back into the face of the employer makes no sense at all.

If anything it damages the integrity of direct employment and most certainly burns that prospective employees bridges BIG TIME:*

[Assuming the candidate is not already working for the MET - of course!].

FloaterNorthWest
29th Oct 2005, 10:00
TC

Is this an indicator to the state of the industry if even the Met have trouble recruiting?

FNW

Ivor E Tower
29th Oct 2005, 10:28
Anyone know what were the changes that meant they needed the extra pilots?

24hr ops for both helicopters? (or all 3)

aeromys
29th Oct 2005, 10:35
...or is it because some are fleeing the Hill for the seaside?

semirigid rotor
29th Oct 2005, 23:55
Oh dear TC here we go again :(

An interview for a job is a two way process, it is as much about the applicant interviewing the employer (to find out if the move is right for him/her) as the other way around.

Given that most employers will not offer you the job on the spot, why shouldn't the applicant have a little time to consider, after finding out ALL the facts about the job during the interview.

Perhaps the Met job is not as rosy as some people seem to think it is :hmm:

rotortart
30th Oct 2005, 13:51
I have been told that 3 of the Met's 6 line pilots have left or resigned in the last 3 months. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

Ivor E Tower
15th May 2006, 21:18
Looks like the Met are looking for Pilots again.
I seem to remember the qualifications and experience levels required were higher the last time they advertised!!!
http://www.flightglobal.com/Jobs/2006/05/15/1451916/Helicopter+Pilots.html

Letsby Avenue
15th May 2006, 23:12
Most directly employed types are on 50K there or thereabouts - With London property prices the way they are.. they aren't paying enough ...:uhoh:

Gordon Bennet
16th May 2006, 02:08
Not nearly enough - unless there's a large "location allowance"?

G

MightyGem
16th May 2006, 07:04
THE METROPOLITAN POLICE SERVICE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER
POSITIVE ABOUT DISABLED PEOPLE
Yeah, yeah. I'm positive that they wouldn't employ a disabled pilot.

tubmin
16th May 2006, 10:41
I've just been reading all the posts associated with this, and downloaded the information pack at http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=928
Despite what some people seem to indicate the salary and complete package seems reasonable, and will be reviewed (increased?) in October - or am I reading to much into it?...........
£50k + 10%(after year 3) + London weighting = got to be close to £57.5 k ????
Plus only working 4 out of 8 days, and with 31 days holiday. Again this seems a reasonably stable and hence an attractive package for an onshore pilot. I agree the salary doesn't compare with offshore, but the flying is completely different. Plus a new type on the licence EC145, ......... tho not many (any) other operators in the UK yet!
Seems that pilots leaving the military were the desired comodity in the past for these jobs, is that still the case, or has that source dried up now?
Any one Know of the pros and cons of working at this particular unit?
Any one with information they could share?

Thomas coupling
16th May 2006, 11:02
Tubmin, are you applying? It is an adequate package at best for that geographical site! IF you don't live close by and have to move to that area - forget it!!

They are a busy unit with lots of changes on the horizon and their CP is a very competent operator. The MET air unit have waited a long time for such a huge cash injection so now would seem to be the best time to join them as it must surely go downhill from here after the novelty has worn off:oh:

Mil pilots are drying up as the MOD has done a good job (finally) of keeping their pilots sweet.

Cons are 12 hour shifts really - 4 on and 4 off is a bit tight and can take its toll if you're a busy person outside your profession (family/social/hobbies).

These direct employment jobs are like rocking horse s*it in the industry...if you're up for it - grab the opportunity.

Ivor E Tower
16th May 2006, 13:41
I guess it`s a misprint in their advert stating the need for 100 hours twin while their info pack asks for the usual (home office requirement) of 500 hours twin.

Wonder if it`s got anything to do with the recent report that`s doing the rounds re Pilots experience levels ;)

FloaterNorthWest
16th May 2006, 14:47
Believe the previous package was 50k +5% Year 1, 7.5% Year 2 and 10% Year 3. London allowance was 1500.

Believe the last advert also asked for previous police experience.

More importantly why are the Met losing people and why didn't they have a surplus of CVs from the last recruitment?

FNW

Skidkid
21st May 2006, 01:40
Even more important!

Why did their last recruit, an experienced police pilot, resign after 3 weeks?

Ian Corrigible
26th May 2006, 13:50
Just noticed that there's an interview with the Met's chief pilot on the inside cover of this week's Flight (23-29 May), which offers some useful pointers to prospective Met pilots.

I/C

Yonez
15th Aug 2006, 20:34
after readin the previous posts id just like to put one thing straight, Belfast ASU line pilots are paid £39K.

FloaterNorthWest
15th Aug 2006, 21:02
Yonez,

Bit out of the blue! You the new member at the unit?

FNW

Helinut
15th Aug 2006, 21:26
PSNI uses contract helicopter pilots, not directly employed (at the moment anyway).

Yonez
17th Aug 2006, 12:58
FNW, Only just spied the thread & felt a little bit under valued & yeah since May.

Letsby Avenue
17th Aug 2006, 13:30
Your not undervalued by your employer... they're making a tidy little sum out of you and your efforts. Well done:D Push hard for direct employment, it's the only way to go.;)

FloaterNorthWest
17th Aug 2006, 20:33
Direct Employment looks guaranteed at the end of the present contract, may look at it myself it they get another type as well.

Yonez, give my regards to everyone (I'm the bloke who now works on the border who used to work for PremiAir).

FNW

Droopy
17th Aug 2006, 21:02
FNW, is Mr H so bad that you're considering moving after such a short time?

FloaterNorthWest
17th Aug 2006, 22:52
Droopy,

I must know you. Looking at the profile with 135/355 you must be Merseyside and I know jayteeto and Mighty Gem so you must be one of the others. Droopy.....SB would be my guess with that title. No looking at your previous posts it must be the Boss.

Young (well was), free and single so always looking for new opportunities.

The Boss has his good days and bad days like us all, but like the girl with the curl in Just William (showing my age!), when he is good he is really, really good but when he is bad he is really, really bad.

Life is quite good at the moment, off to the US for S76C++ differences at the end of the month and then maybe off from Nov to Jan.

Ireland is the growing market at the moment, if you are an experienced IR pilot there are lots of opportunities to earn and live well. Lots of 109s appearing plus S76D, S92 and AB139 in the future. The North is quite strong too with EC135 and 109 and EC155 on order for the future.

Plus all the main operators in the UK are after people

Just got to finish the house and get the dog a passport!

FNW

MightyGem
19th Aug 2006, 09:34
Droopy's not with us FN. I did know who he was, but have forgotten, although Lancs might be a possibility.

FloaterNorthWest
19th Aug 2006, 20:33
Thanks Mighty,

I got a PM from Droopy and your guess was correct.

I forgot that JC is still using a typewriter and SB is asleeps most of the time.

FNW

Coconutty
6th Sep 2006, 13:50
Anyone know if it is it correct that the Met. Police are no longer planning winching operations from their new 145's ?

I heard they had ordered all 3 aircraft with winch points and 1 winch - if true why the change of the plan ? - Are they still going to be doing fast roping from the 145 or has that idea been dropped too ?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

ShyTorque
6th Sep 2006, 14:55
Possibly because of the crewing requirement?

Police observers are deemed passengers, CAA probably wouldn't have a passenger lowering objects to the surface - so would a "winch op" have to become "crew"?