PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION ALL CABIN CREW i have a question!

Felix Saddler
15th May 2006, 20:05
im 17 and would like to become a pilot!! etc etc etc. Are there any part time job opportunities i could take up just to gain experiance etc etc? e.g being a cleaner on their planes or even a check in assistant? how do i go about it?

GorgeousKiwiGal
16th May 2006, 03:46
Hiya Hun,

Congrats on your decision to join the world of aviation. You'll have a blast.

You're probably best to ask your question over in the Pilot/Flight Crew forums, rather than here on the CC forums. There are a few pilots that hang around over here, but you'd get a better idea over there with the guys up the front that fly the planes ;).

The only advice I can give, as CC, is that if possible go and do an aviaition course (or three) to give you a heads up and knowledge of what's involved in the business. Also, if you are still at school (which I'd hope you are if you aim to be a pilot :)) do your very, very best in Science, Maths and Geography and similar subjects. They will help you a lot in this industry. Most A/C cleaning jobs require applicants to be at least 18-21 years of age and have some sort of a cleaning background and spotless criminal history. As for check-in staff, again you have to be 18-21 (dependant on your country/state) and most airlines require you to have some sort of a Tourism qualification or experience in front0line customer service. So you may find it hard to get such a position at the moment. However, you may be able to get a job as an apprentice A/C engineer etc or any of the above positions when you turn 18. You will have to make some serious phone calls and go through a few interviews to make it happen - but with the right CV and attitude I am sure we'll be seeing your smiling face soon.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But all the very, very best hun! Hope you to see you up in the skies one day! :ok:

tiggerific_69
16th May 2006, 06:34
Its fantastic that youre thinking of a career like this and striving to get experience already.However,when it comes to actually flying a plane,the only experience potential employers will want you to have is the experience of flying an aircraft for XXX amount of hours.Your best bet would be to start doing your Private Pilots Licence,which you will have to fund yourself,and then after that you need to do you Airline Transport Pilots Licence, again you will have to fund this yourself and total costs for doing both of these licences is around £70,000.And once you've got both your licences you can apply to airlines and go through interviews where you do a test in a simulator,a psychometric test etc.Dont expect to walk straight onto a 747 or A380 though!! Most airlines require you to have a few hundred,if not thousand,hours of experience flying certain types of aircraft before you're let loose on something that big.Flight schools will often forward your CV to airlines once you have successfully completed your flight training.
To be honest,the guys in the flight deck forums will be able to give you much more in depth information,but this is pretty much the basics and they will tell you the same thing.No matter what aviation industry background you have,they only thing they will be bothered about is how much flying experience you have.
Good luck,aim high and you will succeed.It will be hard work,but worth it in the end!

MonarchA330
16th May 2006, 07:39
Felix,

I am currently training to be a pilot. Like you, I wanted to get some experience so to build my CV so I...

Spent a week with BA for work experience
Worked as Cabin Crew
Worked as Check in/Gate staff

Getting a job as check in staff should be relatively easy and now is the best time of year to do so. I worked for a handling agent at Gatwick and they, like the other handling agents, take on extra staff for the summer season.

Im guesing Newcastle is your nearest airport so I suggest you get in touch with the likes of Swissport, Servisair, Aviance etc at Newcastle and see what they have to offer you.

Any more questions, let me know

M330

S-crew'd
16th May 2006, 08:29
Felix SaddlerThe following thread may be of use to you:http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

crib08
19th May 2006, 16:36
By working as cabin crew first you will gain the ins and outs of an airline, u can apply to airlines from 18. When ever your not in the cabin, you can go in the flight deck and get talking to the guys upfront. Plus working for the airline as crew, can help u get a future job with the same airline as F.D - especially if you get to know the senior flight deck and trainers.

And the other bonus will be that u have respect for the cabin crew when u become f.d, and you will know how hard they work.

GOOD LUCK:ok:

Felix Saddler
20th May 2006, 13:36
Thanks everyone, i wish you all, all the best. :D