PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre advertising campaign

teifiboy
15th May 2006, 19:44
A certain German airline is running an extensive advertising campaign on UK radio at the mo. Seems very strange though that the flights advertised include the likes of Milan and Venice, but they would involve tranferring at German airports.

Why bother with such a campaign. There is plenty of point to point choice from the UK? Would anybody be attracted by this?

Buster the Bear
15th May 2006, 21:14
If the price is right, folk will book up!

Air Berlin are offering interline from Stansted.

virginblue
15th May 2006, 21:17
Why not ? With that logic, you could just as well suggest Air France and KLM to close down their extensive UK network that feeds their hubs at CDG and AMS. Moreover, the whole purpose of having subsidiaries like KLM uk and (to a lesser extent) Cityjet is to be able to offer connecting flights. They surely do not only target long-haul passengers.

As for Italy via Germany, if you are talking about Lufthansa, there is certainly no English airline that offers a network nearly as extensive as Lufthansa's Italian network that can be accessed from the UK through FRA and MUC. Lufthansa even has its own Italian regional airline for that purpose that serves almost every regional airport in Italy from Germany in addition to mainline jets that go into the larger airports such as MIL, VCE, BLQ or FCO.

goldeneye
16th May 2006, 06:01
Transiting another airport is a very common thing for regional departures, to go through AMS, LON, CDG is not uncommon from EDI/GLA/NCL/BRS/CWL etc. London fair enough has a lot of point to point but not the regions.

fatboy slim
16th May 2006, 10:50
BHX-BCN return £230 BA
BHX-FRA-BCN return £123 LH
Thats why.

jammydonut
16th May 2006, 10:59
Football thugs with ASBO's and restrictions to attend WC can board without
any problem by booking a cheap ticket beyond Germany and then getting off in Germany:}

RevMan2
16th May 2006, 12:24
jammydonut

I do believe that they're required to hand in their passports for the duration of the festivities...

StephenM_SMC
16th May 2006, 13:20
KLM have an extensive advertising campaign for long haul flights from DUB on the LUAS. (Dublin's tram system) And all of them involve a transfer.

brian_dromey
16th May 2006, 14:32
I dont get it......why is this bizzare....for those of us who are 'unlucky' enough not to live in LON area choice of direct flights is sererly limited both in terms of fares, frequencies, and carriers. A previous poster mentioned DUB, for example. There is one GF service(3x weekly) and one EI service to DXB(3x weekly). These are the only eastward LH services. Here in Ireland it is not unusual to see KLM/LH/AF advertise longhaul destinations from DUB/ORK. We have had to endure LHR for years for any decent connection.....at least you have the choice between saving time or saving money....get over it.

Cyrano
16th May 2006, 14:50
KLM have an extensive advertising campaign for long haul flights from DUB on the LUAS. (Dublin's tram system) And all of them involve a transfer.

That's got to be uncomfortable - you wouldn't catch me doing a long haul flight from DUB on the Luas... :eek:

(Sorry, couldn't resist... :ouch: )

StephenM_SMC
18th May 2006, 09:27
I'm sure it would be an experience anyway! :ok:

Tandemrotor
25th May 2006, 12:06
fatboy slim

Not sure what dates you booked BHX-BCN, but I've just found a BA Connect fare for £114.90 all in. Not bad I would suggest.

Guess it depends which dates you want to travel!