PDA

View Full Version : Gulf / Etihad Recruitment

clogs
15th May 2006, 16:26
I have been asked to attend an assessment 'centre' for Gulf Air on 20th May in London, and an assessment day for Etihad in London a week later.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on these days?

I have been to an Emirates assessment day and made it through to the final interview (unfortunately not any further!) - how similar to Emirates are Etihad and Gulf cabin crew recruitment procedures?

I have read all the threads concerning Gulf and Etihad, but I am still a little unclear on a lot of things, and would really appreciate any up-to-date information on the assessment days, working for either of these airlines etc.

I'm especially concerned about something I read about Gulf turning somebody away for having a scar on their knee - are they really that strict?? What about highlighted hair?

Hope someone can help....
Thanks!

Gwennie
16th May 2006, 02:26
Dear Clog im not sure how the Gulf Assessments go about however i can let u know how the Etihad Assessments is held as i attended it a week ago.

First thing you do the registration and submit 2 passport photos & i full lenght picture. Then everyone is placed in a room to watch the Etihad presentation and after that there is a Q&A session. Then the group was split into 2 as there were almost 200 of us. The first group does the test and the other group goes for screaning.

Test : 10 grammar, 10 maths, 10 Geography Questions. 1 Comprehension with Q&A. 5 IQ questions & u will need to write an essay consisting of approximately 120 - 150 words.

Screening : Height & Weight, then followed by the 2 to 1. Mine went on preety simple. They asked me to speak about my current job. Then it ended with do u have any tattoo's on your hand & feet?

Then we we're asked to go for an hour break...

When we returned that when they did the first selection i should say.... so they will call you according to the numbers eg, 1,5,9,15,25 and who ever is selected.

Then u go for the group discussions where my groups question was.
You have 10 crew, 10 nationalities with 10 different ages. How would you segregate them into apartments of 2? You are given 20 minutes to discuss with your group and then do a presentation.....

Then everyone is asked to go on a break again....

Then they conduct the 2nd selection... and again another 2 to 1 interview.. Normal questions like, CS experience and so on....

After the 2nd two to one the selection would be made.

My group got the results the same day itself.:D :D

I hope u have enough information.... if u need more do PM or MSN me at [email protected]

foxylady
17th May 2006, 12:58
Hey Clogs

Yes, Gulf Air did turn me down because of the scar on my knee. I didn't even get the chance to have an interview they just looked at my forms and saw that i had stated i had a small scar on my right knee (they ask you this in your application forms) - she just looked at me and said "sorry". So yeah they are pretty strict when it comes to this kinda thing. :ugh: She stated that the the CC wore short skirts that is why - i was a bit dumb founded..
But give it a try - you might be one of the lucky ones.
Good Luck

rivaldo
17th May 2006, 21:23
hi go and tray QR they well be very happy to have u with them:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :{

emirates79
18th May 2006, 08:52
Clogs , I will have an interview on 27th with Emirates. Could you please help me with preparation for interview. I will attend this type of interview first time and I have no any idea about types of question they may ask. And what about group discussion, tests? I have also a small scar just down of my left knee..Are they really so strict? :ugh:

Thanks!!!

clogs
22nd May 2006, 21:07
Gwennie, thanks so much for such a detailed rundown of the Etihad assessment day! You didn't mention whether or not you got the job..? Hope you did!

foxylady - I'm so sorry to hear Gulf was so strict with you. I also have a scar on my knee, although it is not visible through tights. I ended up going to the Gulf interview and amazingly got the job..! I guess maybe it's the luck of the draw - you could always go to another interview and see if they accept you?

rivaldo - thanks for the advice but I'm steering clear of Qatar Airways, too many horror stories!

emirates79 - There is a lot of advice on another thread called "Anything to do with Emirates applications" - but, I can tell you how the day went and what to expect:

Firstly, Emirates do not have a grooming test and are not so strict about what you look like. They do not check for scars or tattoos, although if you make it through the day they will ask you whether you have any tattoos. Still, I would advise you to attend in a business suit and look as groomed as you possibly can, it makes a better impression.

It is quite a long day: after you arrive, there will be an introduction about the company, followed by a question and answer session. Make sure that you ask a question during this - it does impress them.

Then they show you a video, during which they also call each applicant up for a reach test (you have to be able to reach 212 cm) - at this time they also have a brief chat with you, so expect questions like: what are you working as? how do you like it?

After this is the first group exercise, where you will be in a group of about 10-15 people in a circle. You have to stand up and introduce yourself, so make sure you prepare something to say! You need to talk about yourself for about a minute - remember to smile and make eye contact with the whole group. The group will be given a task, and all the usual advice applies - get involved, don't interrupt people if you can help it but make sure you say something. You might be asked to give a summary of what the group decides, so pay attention to everything.

After this people are eliminated. If you are not a native speaker of English, you will have to take an English test at this point, which I can't advise you on, since I didn't have to take it.

After this, there are another couple of group exercises - more problems to solve as a group, probably about 8 people in the group this time. As before, make sure that you contribute as much as you can, that you speak clearly and loudly so that other people listen to you. But also lkisten carefully to what other people say - express it when you think someone has a good idea, be enthusiastic, attentive, and supportive of everyone in your group. You may be picked to do a role play - so don't be scared or shy, just do your best. You cant really prepare for this!

The group exercises we had were:

1.) Think of a detailed 2-day excursion for 5 people in London

2.) Think of a day out for deaf children.

3.) Who would you save, a 10-year-old genius, a 30-year-old mother, or a 50-year-old brain surgeon who has a 95% success rate.
*On this task a couple in the group had to do a role play with the recruiter - the recruiter played the part of the surgeon, and the person in the group had to tell him that he would not be saved.

Remember that it is not the solution that matters, but teamwork.

If you get through this, you are through to the final interview. You will have to do a psychometric test after you have been toild that you have been selected for the final interview.

Good luck!! I am sure you will do great, just remember to smile and make friends with everyone!;)

foxylady
23rd May 2006, 05:32
Clogs - congratulations - that is amazing. yes, my scar is not visible in tights - but they just would not have it. I went to the "top" in Bahrain as i know one of the first officers in Gulf Air. They then came back wanting to employ me and i just thought that if it was my scar first - what was it going to be next!
Enjoy the Middle East!

emirates79
24th May 2006, 07:43
Clogs, thanx alot! I think it wil help alot! I am only worrying now about English test..as I am not a native speaker...Hope all will be fine...And i also have a small scar under the knee..hope they are not so strict like Gulf..
Thanx!!:)

pinkus
24th May 2006, 22:02
Clogs - congratulations - that is amazing. yes, my scar is not visible in tights - but they just would not have it. I went to the "top" in Bahrain as i know one of the first officers in Gulf Air. They then came back wanting to employ me and i just thought that if it was my scar first - what was it going to be next!
Enjoy the Middle East!
No offence but if you cant see it then its really a bit silly to mention it.
Its a computer system. If all the right boxes arent ticked then of course you wont get called.
Loads of girls I work with including myself have ( non visible in uniform) tattoos and we all had the nouse to tick the no box on our applications.

SkySista
25th May 2006, 08:35
Pinkus... that's brave.. just hope that the next medical you do the doc doesn't decide to squeal and they fire you for 'false information on application' fopr employment... just a thought!!!

(I too have been given the no from one of the Gulf majors for having a scar on my knee - their loss I say!)

pinkus
25th May 2006, 15:27
Have had a couple of medicals and doctor has seen them. It is not an issue.

If you cant see it in the uniform then they are hardly going to fire someone they have paid alot of money to relocate and train.

clogs
25th May 2006, 21:08
hmm... all this talk about scars and i'm getting worried... please reassure me; i have been offered the job with gulf, i have signed the contract, but i have not had my start date confirmed yet. there's no chance head office are going to change their minds once they read my papers and see that i have a scar...is there..? am i just being ridiculously paranoid?!

binkle
28th May 2006, 23:14
can anyone give a brief overview of what it's like to work as cabin crew for gulf air?

Flying Fairy
29th May 2006, 16:15
Not really sure what you want to know but I had an amazing time with Gulf Air out in Bahrain. I returned end of last year as I had comitments at home but still go back regularly as loads of my friends are still there.
In short, the money is not too good at all, however you have accommodation and transport paid for so nothing really to spend money on except yourself! I spent all mine downroute and on partying!!! Routes are quite good, although very short layovers in most places, crew on the whole very nice and I got on with all my crews, met some really good friends and had a good time downroute.
Training is 8 long weeks!!!! accommodation is ok-try and get the newly built apartments like I did, promotions possible and options such as sky nanny which I did if you wished.
Bahrain is quiet but a nice place to live and very safe. You have got all your big shops e.g. topshop, debenhams, mango, oasis etc. in the shopping malls as well as arabic shops. Nightlife very good-head to JJs, BJs, wranglers, likwid (these change for popularity) and classic Friday brunches!!! Good watersports etc for the days.
Overall I had an amazing time and although like most companies there are faults, I was looked after and would recommend it to anyone!!
Hope this helps as a bit general!!!

JamesHook
31st May 2006, 08:22
Well, your interview is over by now. But BEWARE, enythign of what they told you in the EY interview is a bunch of lies: You WON'T be able to save money, you WILL be stuck in a hotel room for more than 6 months, the layovers are becoming a piece of crap (Twelve hours rest in BKK), to make a swap is almost impossible, unless you have big boobs and show them to the people in charge. :D And don't forget: it is harder to get out of this place than getting in. If you can stay at home, do it. Don't waste your time coming over here.

Don't even think of going to QR: they keep your passport with them, you cannot leave the country unless you have their authorization, and they fire you for any reason: E.g. if the CEO decides to go to your aircraft on arrival, he will check your bathroom. If you don't clean the :mad: of the others in it properly, you'll be fired. It's not much to choose from. You can forget EK too. Yes, the have a lot of money, but: One leg, 10 hours rest, one leg, 10 hours rest and so forth for at least seven days in a row....

alexWarsaw
31st May 2006, 12:09
I am thinking of applying to EY.
Could anyone please answer some important "technical" questions concerning Etihad?

1) how many hours a day can EY cc work?
2) minimum rest at base
3) can you ask for particular flights?
4) do they pay end of service benefit like in EK?
5) how many days of annual leave do they offer and can I plan them to visit home more than once a year?
6) do they pay company profit share?
7) what happens if I decide to break the agreement earlier?
8) what particular parts does the salary consist of and is it paid once a month? Do they ask you to open bank account for this?
9) what happens if I don't feel well or have a bad day and can't go to work?

I really worry about what JamesHook wrote: why Won't I be able to save money?
I remember some posts about strange sexual offers some of cc were given by EY management, but I thought that even if it was in real it had taken place only at the beginning, when there were less cc than now (I heard that now there are 1000 flight attendants at EY). Please tell me do they still practise this ?????????????????????? :sad:
And what about the problem of getting out of EY???:confused:

I don't want to make a mistake of my life coming there.....:(

JamesHook
31st May 2006, 15:15
[quote=alexWarsaw]I am thinking of applying to EY.
Could anyone please answer some important "technical" questions concerning Etihad?

1) Hours per day: Well, to Jakarta for example is almost 9 hours, no rest. You cannot rest in any flight over 12 hours, not even to Jo'burg. In flight you are not allowed to read anything but the service or SEP manual, or to close your eyes....
2) Minimum rest anywhere is 10 hours, and believe me it takes at least 1 and a half hours to get to work from home, so.... you would be at home for 7 hours....
3) You can either request ONE flight a month (which you won't get always...) OR 4 days off in a row, which is crap, because you'll work seven days im a row. And you cannot request 4 in the end of one month and for in the beginning of the next.
4) Yes, they do pay end of service benefit
5) You have thirty days leave per annum, you have to apply for them in the beginning, BUT they'll only let you know if approved one or two days before your leave, when the roster comes out. You can visit home but, there is only one annual leave TKT and the satff travel office is chaos, they lose everything and NOTHING works, you have to CRY to get your TKT, if you are lucky. And in the month you have your leave, you'll only get your basic salary. You can plan three slots of leave.... however, you won't get them if to many people have leave when you request it.
6) No, they don't pay company profit share
7) Nothing happens if you decide to break the agreement, you can resign in two options: One week or one month.
8) Salary: Basic salary 3020 AED (Now they say its even less) and per duty day (WAS,for new recruits I heard is less) 210 AED. NO allowances... so be prepared for paying for your food in pounds sterling with your salary in Arab Emirates Dirhams. You have to open a local bank account for this.
9) Hahahahaha: if you are sick, you have to go to the company's doctor and HE and ONLY HE will decide if you are sick or not. New procedeure: if you call sick, they will put "sick without certificate" in your roster, that means you'll have ti explain in the office what happened and may get a warning letter.....

You better be worried, you won't be able to save money, because you have to spend it eating in the layovers.... and the cost of live in the UAE is getting expensive every day. If you want to save money, you'll have to take canned soup to Europe, and to Brussels Toronto, (nine days flight) you cannot take any food to Canada, so you are welcome to starve..

There is nothing about sexual offers from the management, at least not so prevalent now a days. There are more than 1000 flight attendants, almost 2000, but: many of them, you WON'T understand their English, and the rest, many, are resigning or planning to. They sent a memo telling that all CC living in one of the buildings were going to be moved out (females) all males would be moving into it, so they had to leave their apartments and go to that building. They wanted to remove all CC from a building to give the apartments to the pilots. Nice, huh? That's the way they treat you here. The pilots don't like the idea either.....

Not enough reasons, so read this: Munich. 6 1/2 hours flight, you fly all through the night, get to the hotel in Munich, and guess what: you have to wait for three hours to get your bedroom, even the Captain is sitting there in the hotel's lobby waiting for his bedroom.

WARNING: THIS IS ONLY THE TOP OF THE ICEBERG

Gwennie
2nd Jun 2006, 07:12
Hi Clogs

Yes i got the job.... sowee for not updating you on that. at the moment im waiting for my contract from HR and as i learn they are preety busy so it might take a while.. Ive already done my medicals on my part... so its just wait and see now...

Hows the going on ur end...

Cheers.

MsXta
2nd Jun 2006, 09:29
Gosh JamesHook that is quite worrying what you wrote about conditions in EY..I got the job with them a few months ago, but havent started due to some personal reasons. However now the time is approaching for me to hand in my notice at my current job (am cabin crew) as i said i was gonna start around august. I love where i am just now,great people, good trips,money ok, but things have started going down hill a bit, and really i feel like change.I did have a lot of doubts whether to go or not, as I did not hear very promising things from other people either ( cc as well as pilots) heard about the number of crews leaving every day, having to live in hotels for a long time due to not having any accomodation,money not good... Basically about all the things you wrote...despite this i still thought i would give it a go..however am not that sure at all now!!!! If there is anything more that we should know about pls keep it coming. It would be very very much appreciated!!!

clogs
2nd Jun 2006, 09:36
Congrats Gwennie! I hope you have a great time! I'm just waiting to hear from Gulf that my visa has been processed, then I'll know when I'm starting. I don't think I'll believe it's really happening until I'm actually on the plane!

pinkus
2nd Jun 2006, 12:52
Gosh JamesHook that is quite worrying what you wrote about conditions in EY..I got the job with them a few months ago, but havent started due to some personal reasons. However now the time is approaching for me to hand in my notice at my current job (am cabin crew) as i said i was gonna start around august. I love where i am just now,great people, good trips,money ok, but things have started going down hill a bit, and really i feel like change.I did have a lot of doubts whether to go or not, as I did not hear very promising things from other people either ( cc as well as pilots) heard about the number of crews leaving every day, having to live in hotels for a long time due to not having any accomodation,money not good... Basically about all the things you wrote...despite this i still thought i would give it a go..however am not that sure at all now!!!! If there is anything more that we should know about pls keep it coming. It would be very very much appreciated!!!

Hey, I am EY crew.
I can understand your apprehension and most of what has been said is very true.
I am currently at a stage where I am wondering how long I will be here.
But it isn't all bad there are good things. Yes, Bangkok can be 12 hours but JNB is a 7 day trip. You can get 48 hours in MUC and GVA. There are alot of good destinations coming up. The head of cabin crew has just been replaced and things are supposed to be getting better.

To be honest I couldn't advise either against coming over or not. I have days when I love my lifestyle and I have days where I honest to goodness am literally 2 minutes away from jumping on the next plane home.

If you do come just \do so with the realisation that things will not be quite as rosy as the picture painted by your recruiters.

Also the biggest advise I think I can give is try to bring as much money as you can to get you through the first few months. I know they say you will get paid as soon as you get there but its training wage. Your daily allowance i paid a month in arrears so you will find yourself in the situation where you are flying already but still in a hotel having to eat out all the time but still only getting paid your training salary.

If you want to PM me feel free. Hey if you end up coming over I can even offer you a home cooked meal while you are stuck in a hotel for so long.

Tripple sec
3rd Jun 2006, 06:28
Has anybody applied for direct entry Cabin Manger at EY?;)

Dr_Vandenburg
3rd Jun 2006, 19:35
Mr Hooks post very accurate.
If you have flown before or are currently employed as cabin crew
DO NOT LEAVE your current position, even if you are at Qatar airways, which is the worlds second worst airline for conditions.
Etihad has the honour of being the first.
If you have not operated as crew before you have nothing to measure it by and think it is difficult however you may suffer it.
If you are from Europe, UK, Canada, Australia, Sth Africa.
You are most likely to flee as quick as you arrived.
Some do so without resignation, just walk away being owed salary they will never get!
Yes the dreaded cabin crew manager has been shuffled side ways, too late damage has been done and he is still in that department, GOD FORBID
We all despise you, how does it feel to be so loathed?
I do not know how you live with yourself.
People fore warned is fore armed.
make your own decisions as I am sure you will, but do not come here saying if only I knew.
Oh and direct entry CM, forget it more like six months online and an assessment day then if you pass two weeks of tragic training first.
whole process takes months!!!!

Pinkus JNB a 7 day trip? maybe if you are on acid, long layovers rare and are on some new routes only.

pinkus
4th Jun 2006, 03:59
Pinkus JNB a 7 day trip? maybe if you are on acid, long layovers rare and are on some new routes only.

Yes the last time I did it the trip went across 7 days. My flatmate just got back from a 10 day BRU YYZ.

People like you annoy me. THere are alot of bad things but you make it sound like we are sent off to work at the coal face or something.

Don't be so bloody dramatic. It makes people less inclined to pay attention to your legitimate complaints.

Tripple sec
4th Jun 2006, 05:16
Thanks so much Dr.Vandenburg for your informations and suggestions.Frankly! I would like to tell you that I have been working for many airlines which in Asia and Muslim country. I don't know about you but, I do know about Etihad, believe me it's not the worst airlines:=
for me, Etihad is now growing and expanding very fast! with more than 30 destinations within 2 and half years. It's good enough for the newborn baby in Airlines Industry.Give them a chance:cool:

Dr_Vandenburg
4th Jun 2006, 08:23
Pinkus pleased you are happy here.
I know you have not flown before, because we have spoken face to face.
What I said about not having another cabin crew position to compare it to still stands.
Brussels/Toronto 9 day trip is nice, however without allowences it makes it very expensive to do.
Bear in mind 4 of these days you are traveling or sleeping.
If you are ok in the job I am happy for you, I do not wish to take that away from you.
I am in no way dramatising the situation at Etihad, far from it.
Ultimately people will make up their own minds.
Many will ignor the advice on this board, I know I probably would.
Most need to experience it themselves.
Tripple sec you asked about direct entry CM, I informed you of peoples experiences in that regard and then you go on to tell me its not one of the worst airlines in the world.
How would you know, DO YOU WORK HERE? no walk a mile in my shoes then you tell me.
The excuse that they are new does not cut it anymore, its well into its third year of operation.

A330habib
4th Jun 2006, 10:33
I am with Dr V

Am sorry to say but Etihad is probably the worst airline outfit in the world!

Pinkus you have obviously never worked at a normal and or reputable airline, then you would have something to compare it to!

Good to hear that dreaded manager has been given the boot, however I feel that things will not change at all. Forget what you get fed by the recruiters, or the media releases Etihad produce to the world. Its all crap and lies, talk to crew to find out what is really going on.

I would advise anyone who has flown before never to go and fly with these monkeys!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Tripple sec
4th Jun 2006, 10:39
Pinkus pleased you are happy here.
Tripple sec you asked about direct entry CM, I informed you of peoples experiences in that regard and then you go on to tell me its not one of the worst airlines in the world.
How would you know, DO YOU WORK HERE? no walk a mile in my shoes then you tell me.
The excuse that they are new does not cut it anymore, its well into its third year of operation.

Thank you so much Dr_Vandenburg, are you still working for EY? I didn't say that I know EY more than you but, I do know some...cool down:p
I talked to many people from many airlines, don't wanna mention which's one is wrost!:oh: Cherish the work you have and enjoy it!or find better one!:confused:

rivaldo
4th Jun 2006, 18:27
hi fox,haw are u all,im verry upset with all of u,haw many times we need to tell u that Qatarairways is the worst airline in the world:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: pls fox stop traying to taik away this big honur from QR and his magisty Mr AAB hi will go verry mad,he wont to be allways the best:ok: :ok: :ok:
trippel sec tray to use your brain, go for EY the future is all ther trust me:ok: :ok: Good luck

digna
5th Jun 2006, 16:47
Hey, If you want to PM me feel free. Hey if you end up coming over I can even offer you a home cooked meal while you are stuck in a hotel for so long.

If it is only to come work with a nice helpful persons like yourself pinkus, Then it is enough

binkle
6th Jun 2006, 08:37
Thanks for your input Flying fairy, very useful!

Does anyone know what exactly the medical for Gulf Air involves? I've heard it's very thorough - what do they test for?

MsXta
6th Jun 2006, 13:51
Pinkus thank you so much for offering your help.That is really nice of you!! :) The forum got a bit heated especially regarding the infamous cabin crew manager. What did he do to make himself so hated?

flyer306
7th Jun 2006, 17:06
Might have something to do with the fact that he didnt support the cabin crew and was good at calling people into the office for silly things:uhoh:

janhui
11th Jun 2006, 10:53
Hmmm....The scary feedbacks are giving me second thoughts :confused: ...However, will just give it a try for the 1st few months and see how it goes. If it's really so bad then will go MIA! hehe! :oh: Do we have to pay for own airfare home when we resign before the 3 yrs contract?

Hi Pinkus,

You are so sweet to offer a home-cooked meal... it's heart warming to know there's nice people :ok: like you in EY. Hope to see you soon in the next 1~2 mths... Cheers!

MsXta
15th Jun 2006, 11:23
Just got a call from Abu Dhabi today advising me of all the applications being on hold for a while.( max 4 months they said) To be honest works for me just fine!I can get a breather from thinking whether i should go or not..:bored: and will just have to see what happens!!

JamesHook
3rd Jul 2006, 01:37
MSxTA please don't bother going to EY. They are terrible! Not worth working for them. People are leaving the company in big groups. It is unberable. Yes, they changed the Cabin Crew manager, but is still as bad as ever. No one is happy there. (Or very few) Many are either running away from them or waiting for other jobs to come out in their home countries. They are very unorganized, those recruitment hold ups, it mught be for longer than 4 months, and do not believe what they say, there is so many people resignig, that they NEED the crew! By the way they are only recruiting Indians and Philipinos, because they are paying badly. As a new Cabin crew your basic salary will be arround 500 USD a month...... If you don't want to listen, just ruin your life going to the sandpit! :mad: :ugh: