PDA

View Full Version : VIRGIN PACIFIC GOES AIRBUS

UNOME
15th May 2006, 12:25
Soon to be announced is the selection of A340-600s for VB Pacific International. CASA application in place for 10 A340-600s to be utilised on daily services to the US and later services throughout Asia. (No ETOPS probs and unlike Jetstar, plenty of UK Management with experience on type for start up, savy?) Full service, but low cost. The hirsute one will be heading down under shortly for the usual song and dance.:hmm:

Not that it will make current VB domestic chappies very happy, but it may soothe the 4 disgruntled EK guys who just received "no thanks" from Jetstar, after failing the stage 1 testing. :ugh:

By all accounts much better pay and conditions than Jetstar and no crap entry testing to ruin ones day.:ok:

300 plus widebody Airbus pilots required for OZ over the next 12 months...who would have thought, huh? :D

Taildragger67
15th May 2006, 13:44
That would all appear to be a bit inconsistent with the discussion of the LA route in this article:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/virgin-blue-edging-upmarket/2006/05/10/1146940617280.html

Have they been awarded capacity by the IASC yet?

UNOME
15th May 2006, 14:18
Oh hairy one stitched up a deal on the 600s. He reckons the Transport Minister will lobby IASC in his favour (for the extra two days a week), now that he has shown his good will by kicking off as requested. He also wants to embark on the usual fanfare just as Jetstar commence ops...skinny blondes vs Magda, 4engines 4longhaul blah, blah!!!
Remember, it was the govt who started the ball rolling on this one.:ok:

Taildragger67
15th May 2006, 14:34
So are these airframes part of an existing VS order, or is an order to be placed (eg. at Farnborough)?

UNOME
15th May 2006, 15:16
Please don't quote me:oh: ....but I believe it has something to do with the 12 A346 HGWs that EK was due to take delivery of in early 2007.;)

EK reckon they don't want them, when there could be something better on the way :yuk: ..no pilots to crew them is closer to the truth!! :cool:

You have to give it to tricky dicky, he knows a good deal when he sees one. :D

haughtney1
15th May 2006, 15:27
So VB must be swimming in cash to pay the fuel bills and higher maintenance costs I guess?

Tom Sawyer
15th May 2006, 18:50
So VB must be swimming in cash to pay the fuel bills and higher maintenance costs I guess?
Firstly the -600 is not that more expensive to operate than a 777, especially when you get rebates from Airbus as it is not meeting design specs. Secondly compare the costs to setting up an ETOPS operation for 777s and they are even cheaper. Also doubt if you could get hold of any 777s for 3-4 years. I would expect service and cabin fit to be along the lines of VS as they already operate the type and so can give background help for ops and startup, so further cutting costs.

haughtney1
15th May 2006, 19:52
Firstly the -600 is not that more expensive to operate than a 777, especially when you get rebates from Airbus as it is not meeting design specs. Secondly compare the costs to setting up an ETOPS operation for 777s and they are even cheaper.
Yep that must be why every man and his dog is lining up to buy them..especially the 600....it makes sense that the airbus salesmen are paying customers to take them of their hands:hmm:
ETOPs expensive? give me strength....its actually less expensive and no more rigorous that operating a 4 engined gas guzzler..but I guess you didn't know that:rolleyes: 4 trent 800's vs 2 x GE90's or Trents?..you do the maths.
I would expect service and cabin fit to be along the lines of VS as they already operate the type and so can give background help for ops and startup, so further cutting costs.
Orrrr (as one who has a bit more insider knowledge of VS..and the tie ups with DJ than you could possibly imagine) it might just be that VS have put it upon themselves to palm off some of the 600 order they have already committed to...in the direction of a receptive potential subsidiary in order for them to look at a more worthwhile option.

sinala1
15th May 2006, 21:27
Does anyone actually know for a fact if the VB Board have given the go ahead for the international project? I thought the feasability study was still underway - apparently the study was commenced with full gusto not too long ago - would they really be at the stage of confirming a/c orders etc? Of course just because I work for the company doesnt mean they will tell us whats going on :(

Not doubting the original poster, just wondering if anyone knows this to be fact?

Dehavillanddriver
15th May 2006, 21:56
The board, which changed last week has NOT given the go ahead to buy anything, let alone 10 A340-600's

As Sir RB is a minority shareholder I doubt very much that he has been negotiating for aeroplanes for VB.

Given that the evaluation team only started work a few weeks ago it is a little premature to be buying aeroplanes.

I wouldn't be getting too excited if I was in Ek either!

The_Cutest_of_Borg
16th May 2006, 00:40
My bet is on a bunch of -400's.

Gnadenburg
16th May 2006, 02:22
I wouldn't be getting too excited if I was in Ek either!

Would the current Virgin Blue pilot group, fly trans-Pacific for a pay cut from their current terms & conditions?

Nothing surprises me in Oz anymore. And VB drivers are real salt of the earth folk. Probably will leap at the chance to upgrade from a 737 and a baseball cap, to a widebody and a proper uniform.

planemad2
16th May 2006, 02:49
Please don't quote me:oh: ....but I believe it has something to do with the 12 A346 HGWs that EK was due to take delivery of in early 2007.;)
EK reckon they don't want them, when there could be something better on the way :yuk:
Yes. ;)
See my topic "Airbus Alternative To The Boeing 787", including this........
I have been advised that the A350 will eventually replace the A330 and the A370 will eventually replace the (not very popular) A340. :ok:

assymetric
16th May 2006, 04:05
Well we haven't had a decent rumor regarding Virgin Pacific in a while, so I guess UNOME took it upon himself to start one.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Visual Landing
16th May 2006, 04:09
Feasability study to be completed late this year. Nice rumour tho.

greenslopes
16th May 2006, 05:15
No news at the coalface, but that doesn't mean a lot.
If precedent serves, Virgin Pacific will be a different beast to V.B with very little chance of crews moving from one fleet to other (no matter what Mngmnt promise in the hope of an expedient conclusion to these long drawn out EBA "negotiations").

UNOME
16th May 2006, 08:56
Sir Dicky has a bug up his coit about "losing his baby".:eek: :{

Wait for the deal he offers the board.........:ok:

Nolights-essential3
16th May 2006, 18:28
Oh yeah!

...for what?...more longhaul, less pay!?

High time to face reality fellas!

Oz aint so great anymore ( if it ever was.... and for sure, while we were away, it has ceased to be very attractive for so many reasons )
.... and the draw-card is.....?
.....well, it's not the money
...not the time at home....tell me there's a better deal in your new LLC VP!

Dog with wings again

reality is..

Fly long-haul for a real company ( and pleaseone that actually exists with a track reacord ) and earn money... real money...

Dont delude yourselves....we are not even close to leaving EK 'en masse'

Keep EK out of this one please

Denzil
16th May 2006, 20:17
Sadly there is no comparison between the A346 & the B777-300ER, the B777 comes "out of the box" a reliable, economical aircraft. The cash discount Airbus give is the biggest admission ever to the financial advantage to the Boeing & what will that mean 5 years down the line when you want to trade them in????

Having worked both, i'm firmly on the Boeing side now (although for job security the Airbus will guarantee engineers lots of work!!).

sinala1
17th May 2006, 01:40
Denzil glad to see you are alive - was not sure if you froze your cods off up there over the past winter! :ok:

Interesting to see your perspective on the A346 v B773ER - glad to see you have agreed to defect to the Boeing side of the fence :E