PDA

View Full Version : Wannabee looking for advice

Captain N
15th May 2006, 12:03
I'm 22 and just finished university.
would love to work somewhere in the middle east after my pliot training, just cannot decide how to go about this.
Do I train in Qatar where i would be able to get a F/O position in the area after my ATPL. this course costs $110,000:hmm:
or do I train in Ireland where the course only costs about $90,000

If i train in Ireland i have to go the long way like you guys, i.e build up the hours in europe then apply to the likes of EK and EY or Quatar after i have 4 or 5 thousand hours

and another question for you guys:
why are alot of pilots in US and Europe desperate to go to that region and then when they get there they moan all the time, is the pay THAT good?

thanks in advance for the advice :ok:

Desert Diner
15th May 2006, 12:28
and another question for you guys:
why are alot of pilots in US and Europe desperate to go to that region and then when they get there they moan all the time, is the pay THAT good?

You must be joking. :ugh:

Oh wait, you are :rolleyes:

ruserious
15th May 2006, 15:52
If you have a UK or European passport, you have a much greater chance of getting an airline career going there, than pretty well anywhere else. It may be more expensive and the qualifications may be harder to get than many other countries, but there are a lot more jobs available and you will get on a jet sooner.
Unless of course you are a Gulf arab........
You should get your licence to suit your passport, unless you have a friend of the family who lives in outer Mongolia, who can get you a job fling Mongolian 737 registered freighters.
Finally the one thing you will never get your head around is how airline pilots whinge about the terms and conditions they have to work under, when you would do it for free. That one you will understand in about 15 years or so (if you are lucky), or about 10 years after you start sounding like your parents.
Good luck