PDA

View Full Version : DIY?

FormerFlake
14th May 2006, 22:21
How easy is it to add RAM and upgrade to USB 2 on a lap top? I have never taken a computer apart before, but are these jobs DIY?

Saab Dastard
15th May 2006, 00:06
On most laptops a RAM upgrade is (usually) straightforward enough, as there are (usually) fairly easily accessible RAM sockets, though you will have to remove some portion of the case - possibly lift up the keyboard.

Make sure you have the user manual to hand so you can check EXACTLY how to undo which bits to get at the RAM sockets.

You should be able to find the correct RAM module using the Crucial or Kingston Memory Finder.

USB - no way. You should be able to find a PC card (PCMCIA card) with a USB 2.0 interface - assuming you have a free slot. Check compatability before you buy.

SD

DBTL
15th May 2006, 10:23
Yes, there's this paradox that most laptops that you want any USB installed for will not accept the generally available 3 V PCMCIA 2.0 USB cards -- there's a mechanical stop that'll not allow the card to be pushed in in a 5 V only bus system

Richard Spandit
16th May 2006, 20:41
My 2001 laptop accepted a D-Link USB card quite happily... I'll dig it out and find the model number

FormerFlake
30th May 2006, 16:27
Well i managed to add another 256mb of RAM with suprising ease. What a difference, i think the USB upgrade can wait. Thanks for your help.