PDA

View Full Version : does it matter where u do ure atpl

touchdown17
14th May 2006, 20:18
hey there first time posting here,, i'm irish and supposed to be heading to naples air centre in florida soon to to the career pilot program... some ppl are suggesting to go to spain or england it is more recognised over here.. i have also been told and atpl is an atpl no matter where u do it.. i would prefer to spend a year in florida than spain or england but dont want to come home not able to get into an airline for years.. i keep hearing that ppl who go to jerez or oxford get hired straight after finishing,, just wondering would i be better off stayin in jerez or oxford then florida.. any feedback from anyone would be much appreciated

The African Dude
14th May 2006, 21:08
touchdown17

It might matter to you (i.e. if you would rather do some flying in the States than in soggy Oxford or at FTE in Jerez). It probably won't matter so much to potential employers, unless they have a regualr agreement for supply from a training school. I don't think there's anything formally arranged with Oxford, so it would be pot luck (there may be a few such agreements scattered around that I'm not aware of, but none that are really definite and regular, excluding CTC). Pot luck and personal contacts will have a greater influence on your chances of getting a first flying job than where you did your training.

AD

Edit to say: An ATPL is only an ATPL if it's recognised in the country you want to work in. Commercial licences in the US are FAA-constructed and issued, whereas the JAA architect and issue the appropriate licence for work in JAA member states (e.g. Europe). You need to do a conversion course if you don't have the right licence for the company you want to fly for. Someone will probably help you out on the various specifics.

Lucifer
14th May 2006, 21:48
So you're doing your research now?!:mad:

Yes, it does matter to a huge extent - have you been selected in any shape or form (done GAPAN tests for example to prove you are capable)? Does Naples have any employers to whom they regularly recommend people?

It is not a question of being more recognised, as both will give you a licence, but as a low-houred recruit, a lower training risk to the airline comes from the integrated/structured modular schools where one training record is kept, and students are put through in minimum time.

At a more highly-houred level - no it does not matter one bit - but unless you choose to make matters hard for yourself by having to either hour build, work for a pittance, or hope for luck, then by all means go for it.

touchdown17
15th May 2006, 14:41
i have done research just the bad reports i have read on pprune about naples air centre recently have worried me...i haven;t done any of the apptitude tests i was told i didnt need to if i really wanted to be a pilot i would be able for it most of them were just money making scams