PDA

View Full Version : Flying for UN

rewritable
14th May 2006, 06:53
Does anyone know how you go about flying helicopters for the un. I know the contracts are dished out in new york but to which companies normally. Has anyone flown for them, what is it like?

Heliharm
14th May 2006, 07:16
Hi, last year I have applied for a UN job in the Sudan operation. I have found this ad on the internet on one the adīs pages (rotorwash, flight international or so). The company was www.helog.at (http://www.helog.at) an Austrian company which has done several UN jobs. I do not know any other companies. I know that they had a hard time finding captains to fly the Puma in Sudan. I do not know what it is like because I did not go through with the application. The deal was 2 months on, 2 off and no payment in the months off. Working days were 12 hrs on 12 hrs off, it was a 24hr mission.
The job was almost doing everything with the helicopter, EMS, NVG, slingload, reconaisence (**** I forgot how to write that word...sorry) etc.
I think that you can compare it with a military operation but without guns on your heli. I know that the Puma was shot at at least two times last year.

Hope that you can use this info.

Heliharm :cool:

Super 61
14th May 2006, 13:18
CHC Global in Vancouver do some UN work. Currently active in Abijan (Ivory Coast), recent work in Haiti, Bosnia, Iraq (pre war), plus a few others. Abijan is SK61, but usually our UN work is 212 or Puma. Always hiring Captains !