PDA

View Full Version : Any SLF here guilty

capt.cynical
13th May 2006, 23:46
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225353

radeng
14th May 2006, 07:06
Definitely not!

Wait until the engines stop. The seat belt sign sometimes stays on for a very long time afterwards - I saw once where it got forgotten, and people were leaving through the jetway with the seat belt sign still on!

TightSlot
14th May 2006, 09:41
The SLF found in this forum are of a superior kind by definition - generally of good family, well brought up by their parents and not given to the kind of behaviour practised by the global Rif Raf

:E

BRUpax
14th May 2006, 10:59
It tends to vary according to country. Personally, I find it stupid that pax rush to get up and then stand for long minutes before disembarkation commences. I stay seated and read my book until the majority have got off. One exception to this is when I arrive in the USA, where I will kill :E my fellow pax so as to reach imigration first and avoid long lines!

Pax Vobiscum
14th May 2006, 11:35
Particularly pointless misbehaviour if you have checked bags. I've never yet arrived at a carousel to see my luggage already going round ...

The_Banking_Scot
14th May 2006, 12:53
Hi,

Not guilty guv!!!:)

I will keep my seatbelt on until the sign goes PING off!!

On arrival in the states, I'm often in Business so am one of the first off ( but being on the upper deck a few people will be in front of me.

Fortunately I'm a fast walker so can usually get past a few people enroute ot immigration!:} ( PS- not involving barging past people)

Regards

TBS

DX Wombat
14th May 2006, 14:06
I hate having to travel on the Shuttle from LHR to MAN. No problem with the crew at all, they are always fine.:ok: The real problem is the business people :mad: who seem to have a lemming-like, suicidal urge to disembark first at all costs. Arms, elbows, briefcases, umbrellas, you name it - they use it to get to the head of the queue and they don't seem to care who they trample underfoot. On most flights I ask for an aisle seat but NOT on the Shuttle, it's always a window seat so I can wait for the great uncivilised mob to get out of the way first. I'm only surprised that more Shuttle flights aren't met by an ambulance to collect the wounded.

EI-CFC
14th May 2006, 14:14
I will keep my seatbelt on until the sign goes PING off!!

TBS

Likewise. I really get annoyed with those that seem to jump up the minute the wheels touch the ground.

Final 3 Greens
14th May 2006, 16:18
Not guilty gov.

However, there are more than a few FA's who are guilty of turning a blind eye to this behaviour.

Well done to an Air France purser who sat the offenders down in no uncertain terms on a flight I was on recently.

angels
15th May 2006, 08:10
Yip. I actually enjoy watching everyone pushing and shoving and then strolling past them at the baggage carousel (I nearly always have hand luggage only).

It's a classic case of going nowhere fast.

Bangkokeasy
16th May 2006, 04:02
Er.. again, not guilty!

The fact that often Asian flights suffer from this can be put down to the high proportion of first time flyers. Some pre-flight education could go down well I think. Most of the worst offenders tend to be in tour groups and if told in advance it was expected to remain seated, I guess they probably would.

As for standing up while the aircraft is still taxying, it would seem to me that the most obvious thing is that this creates a very unpleasant and uncomfortable chaos in the cabin. In more developed markets, if you want to make sure people remain seated as required, then I would stress this point, rather than the more often spouted safety issue.

I would go further and ask people to remain seated until the doors are open. I really hate that 5 or 10 minutes (make that 30 at Heathrow) between when the aircraft has "come to a complete stop" and when we actually get to walk out.

apaddyinuk
16th May 2006, 11:48
Not guilty gov.
However, there are more than a few FA's who are guilty of turning a blind eye to this behaviour.
Well done to an Air France purser who sat the offenders down in no uncertain terms on a flight I was on recently.

I was on a flight a number of years ago where just after pulling off the runway half the passengers seemed to get out of their seats and start pulling their rubbish out of the overheads. Despite pleas from all of us trying to get them in their seats as we still had miles to go and a runway to cross a call was made to the flightdeck. Within seconds the captain breaked suddenly sending a number of passengers face first into the butts of the passenger in front and then he proceeded to shut down the engines!
He made a PA advising all the naughty culprits that as a result of their selfish and dangerous actions he has had to stop the aircraft and shut down the engines until all the passengers restowed their luggage and sat down with their seatbelts fastened. He said he would go nowhere until the crew were satisfied that all was secure.
He then had the pleasure of telling them that we would now require a tow truck to stand and it would take 30 minutes and that they only had themselves to blame. Perhaps a kick in the face to customer service but it put a smile on my face!!!

masalaairlines
16th May 2006, 12:30
apaddyinuk... I loved that story! That's the way to do it..

I was on a flight not too long ago where a passenger decided to get his largish hand luggage down the moment we had left the runway. An announcement was promptly made for him to sit back down, which he quickly did... but on his bag which was on his seat by now. And there he sat until we stopped... perched high above the rest of us :E eagerly eyeing his rapid route to the door with his new birds eye view!

anotherglassofwine
16th May 2006, 12:34
Guilty on one occasion I will admit.

After a bumpy flight from LHR to DUB I jumped up to race to the gents 2 rows behind me - on exiting the loo I got a serious dressing down from an FA in front of work colleagues and lots of grinning faces :ouch: - but I'll hold my hands up and admit I should have asked earlier. 3 pints of the black stuff before departure didn't help ;)
I've never moved since! and generally give out about people who do now.

APaddyinuk - maybe the Captain was a bit severe there ? - certainly a risky thing to do. The FA who dealt with me certainly handled the situation very professionally and believe me the embarrassement of the situation was enough to teach me a lesson. Red faced apologies all around let me tell you!

LuckyStrike
16th May 2006, 13:17
If I have only one carry-on I'll get it before the landing when it is safe to do so and place it under the seat in front of me (everything by the book:} ) but if I have two I simply wait for most SLF to leave the aircraft before moving from my seat... I just hate it when I am hit by bags or being pushed, my warnings then become a bit loud and, well... :E

BaronChotzinoff
16th May 2006, 19:50
But I thought the EasyJet staff were only joking when they say "The Captain might be able to fly the plane OK but have you ever seen his driving?" :D (Are they paid to be stand-up comediennes?)

Seriously, I might be a bit quick off the trigger if I need to get to a locker quick, but otherwise, like most others here, sit tight and try to avoid eye contact with SLF who just have to get up and mill around like the bell's just gone at St Quentin's High.

SXB
16th May 2006, 20:21
I used to travel quite a lot within the FSU in the late 1990s and it seemed fairly normal for people to exit their seats and retreive their stuff from the overhead bins a few seconds before the wheels touched the runway, the cabin crew, if there were any, didn't give a damn and bags regurlarly used to fly around the cabin. Quite often these planes had seats where the seat belts were simply not present or the buckle had been cut away.

When these planes landed everybody used to applaud and it wasn't like on the charters where people were excited about their holidays. It was pure relief...

Keygrip
16th May 2006, 20:22
I was on a SWA flight recently (Phoenix to Albuquerque). Crew were jumping around excitedly because they'd managed to do the entire trip, gate to gate, in 39 minutes.

Flight crew had both left the flight deck, out onto the jet bridge - seat belt signs still on - all pax disembarking.

I commented to FO about the seat belt sign and he rushed back on board - then I heard the ping.

Checklist complete? Is that how to do the flight in record time? Miss things off the checklist?

XSBaggage
17th May 2006, 18:07
Again, I agree it depends on the country. China - terrible for it. UK / Ireland, depends. Completely agree that the business travellers are particularly guilty. Its a status thing I think. Wont be told anything by the crew or any "workers" at all. Remember a flight into BSB when some of the pax stood up, ignoring the crews PA (airline was BRA) and then we had to do a sudden stop due to Cessna overshooting junction on taxiway. Again, shocked the pax into sitting down.

Dont want to divert the thread, but same annoyance felt at people whos cellphones ring when exiting the runway!!!!

XSB

OFBSLF
18th May 2006, 01:55
Back when I was flying AA weekly from BOS to ORD or DFW, SOP was for one of the pilots to make an announcement telling PAX to remain seated until the jet was stopped and they turned off the seat-belt sign. That seemed to keep people in their seats. I'm surprised that other airlines don't do the same...

MyData
18th May 2006, 11:58
Its been noted as this being an Asian thing and perhaps it is cultural. I've just returned from holiday in China with 5 internal sectors. On *ALL* of them, without fail, the seatbelts are unbuckled on touchdown - yep, while still on the runway, braking and slowing to vacate. Unbelievable. Cabin Crew didn't seem to be too bothered.

I can only think that the PAX believe the belts are for your safety when in the air, as soon as on terra firma they serve no meaningful purpose. :eek:

As for turn arounds - at Yichang we were called to the gate, hastily rushed through, sat down, buckled up and in the air in *15* mins for a quite fully loaded 737. That's some turnaround.

On a similar note - when we left to fly to Beijing out of Munich we must have got an early slot. The emergency procedures video finished FIVE minutes after we had taken off (German, followed by English, followed by Chinese). Is this legal?