PDA

View Full Version : First Solo

VC10 Rib22
13th May 2006, 22:06
To all wannabees who are definitely going to take that leap and begin their fATPL course, I kindly offer a cautionary tale. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a pilot, but not having the resources to finance this, I decided that maintaining aircraft was the next best thing. Indeed, I had a wonderful 14+ years servicing aircraft, but despite being surrounded by them on a daily basis, and being infuriated by them on an almost equally daily basis, my desire to fly them never really went away.

My background in aircraft maintenance allowed me the opportunity to get some hours in a VC10 jumpseat, where I saw, at close quarters, what the guys at the front end did to ensure safe operation of a large commercial aircraft. In addition, I was fortunate enough (thanks Sqn Ldr Wood) to get a back-seat in a flight from South Wales to North Wales and back, at 250 feet, in a BAe. Hawk (sadly not the Dragon Hawk - but I digress), including a stint at aerobatics at 12,000 feet over the Irish Sea, and a flight that will live with me 'til my death bed for so many wonderful reasons. Further to this, numerous domestic and holiday flights convinced me that flight and I were very much a happy couple.

With the vast sums of money needed to start commercial pilot training, it took many a sleepless night to find the courage to chase my dream - but chase it I have........ which takes us to where I am now, adding my little bit to the Pprune bible, and hoping it is useful to those who are sure to follow me. Only six hours have passed since I experienced my first solo, and I have to say, I think I left a little bit of myself up there. Before I took off I promised myself that I would make a conscious effort to enjoy the flight - after all, you can only do it once (whether that be because of numerical fact or because you have killed yourself). I needn't have bothered - it really was so rewarding to be able to look out below at the palm trees, arid land and business jets on the ramp, above at the clear, blue sky, and ahead at the (gulp) rapidly approaching mountains (think I'll turn base here).

But what I believe made it such an incredible experience was looking across at that empty seat and realising the gravity of what I had just done, and knowing that the only things that would get me down safe and sound were my training and myself. In the end, I sit here feeling.......well, lots of things really - empowered, proud (both for myself and my friends and family), happiness that a long cherished dream is slowly being achieved, and relief that I have not made a financial cock-up of legendary proportions.

My last point is where I introduce my cautionary tale - for despite a dream crushed, embarrassment in front of friends and family, or being forced to find another career, I believe that the biggest factor, when coming to the realisation that you and flying are not meant to be, is the huge hit that you take financially. This is why I urge all those who are going to start the long trip down this very expensive road to do what I failed to do.......TAKE SOME FLYING LESSONS FIRST!!!

I know this may seem obvious to many, but such was my love affair with aircraft and flight, I couldn't see myself not loving it, so I never even bothered with any lessons in a light aircraft prior to splashing the cash and enrolling on my commercial pilot course. However, I very much came to regret this with my first two flights. Being used to larger aircraft, I felt so uneasy with the size of aircraft, the vibrations, the instability......everything really. But more than that, I think it was the whole sensation of being given control of this aircraft, which seemed to want to go wherever it fancied , and all the responsibilities that went with it......keeping the right heading, altitude, speed, attitude, listening to ATC and trying to work out what they are saying and wanting you to do - same with the instructor - monitoring all the systems and instruments, knowing when to turn, when to descend, how to correct for wind, how to match what you see on the ground with what you see on your chart, and (especially out here) trying to avoid having a mid-air. It was so strange, on my second flight, thinking to myself that the ground school, time, change of career, etc, had all been for nothing as I would never be able to grasp this. That night was a very lonely one.

However, I woke up next day and convinced myself that I had written myself off too early, that, whilst some do take to flying instinctively, the majority have to work to get over the shock to the system - whether this be because of a fear of flying, the high workload, or the alien environment that it initially is - but get over it they can. Happily for me, each flight became easier and easier, as I got used to knowing what checks to do and when, and the control over the aircraft and its systems became more natural to me. Additionally, each flight allowed me to become more comfortable in an airspace and traffic pattern shared with fellow inexperienced students and aircraft as large and fast as GIVs. And being able to break the earthing switch that grounded my brain whenever I pressed the transmit button sure helped.

I have met many others who, like me, were so dead set on becoming professional pilots that they couldn't possibly foresee them not loving it or being competent. Unfortunately how a wannabee perceives pilot training to be and the reality of it are two entirely different beasts. It caught me out, but I am happy to admit the error of my ways and air my views on this forum if it encourages even a single wannabee to get down to their local flying club and see if flying really is for them - much easier than discovering it 5000 miles away as I have.

Getting lessons in before you start your course will also offer you the advantage of discovering whether you have the aptitude for flying. The tight scheduling of an integrated course does not offer you the luxury of time - from my school, and that of another school who we share the building with and who provide a national airline of a very flat country with low-houred pilots, I know of at least 5 students who have been sent home recently, the reason being, primarily, a failure to land competently.

Anyway, I hope everyone out there is well.

I have tomorrow off, so I'm going to go out and celebrate this great day.

VC10 Rib22
:ok:

flower
13th May 2006, 23:34
VC10 Rib22,
Having known you as that aircraft engineer I am really pleased to see you are finally flying and solo.
Anything worth having requires hard work, look forward to seeing you back in the UK :ok:

collie77
14th May 2006, 10:28
Having just completed my first solo on Thursday as well, I know exactly how you feel. Its a great feeling. Since Thursday I now have 2.3 hours PIC and its such a good feeling to be up there on your own! Slightly hung over now after celebrating such a great week last night!

purmus
14th May 2006, 23:59
Just wanted to add my backing to this comment. I have just completed my CPL skills test but came very close to failing after approx 35 hrs following an 'incident' during landing. The likes of FTE, Cabair and Oxford advertise their course as designed for someone with zero hrs. I have seen people (myself included) in the short time I have been training throw lots of money down the drain because they did not do any training before starting the course. At £195 per hr on a PA28-161 (Warrior) its much much cheaper to prepare for that solo flight at a small flight school first.

VC10 Rib22
16th May 2006, 19:48
collie77,

I'm glad you feel likewise, and hope that you obtain from your flying that which you seek.

flower,

Many thanks for your kind words. Having watched countless aircraft departing Cardiff and St. Athan for so many years and wondering if it was ever going to really happen for me, it was fantastic to find myself accelerating along the runway and lifting off. Not quite Tornado acceleration - in fact, nothing like Tornado acceleration - but I still got a buzz from it.

I hope you and the Cardiff Posse are all doing well. I will still be out here on our birthday so have a great one when June 17th comes.

VC10 Rib22

p.s. The temperature on the ramp is +36*Celsius and rising. I don't know what it is in the cockpit - suffice to say considerably hotter - but if it keeps increasing as it is, this Scot may not make it back to the U.K. :uhoh:

buddieboy
21st May 2006, 12:33
VC10,

I hear the flying is not the only thing you have been enjoying over there....;)

VC10 Rib22
24th May 2006, 17:47
buddieboy,

Plastic Fantastic! I've also been enjoying listening to the Chinese Pan Am cadets confusing the hell out of the American controllers - priceless!

I'm so happy that you are soon to become a Nigel, especially after what you have been through, so a very, very well done. Hopefully there will be another Glaswegian - albeit you are a naturalised Glaswegian - joining you in the airways soon.

VC10 Rib22

Happy Wanderer
24th May 2006, 20:13
Another good reason for going modular!

VC10 - your story struck a chord with me, not just because I too went solo a few weeks ago (and loved it, despite similar concerns), but also because it gives a useful insight into how we learn - anything, including flying.

Until recently, I was a Training Mgr with a large high street corporate, and would often introduce something called the 'Conscious Competence' model to help folks understand the typical stages that we all go through when we learn a new skill. It goes something like this. . . . .

Stage 1 - Unconscious Incompetence - "you don't know that you don't know"

OK, this flying lark looks a bit tricky, but it can't be THAT bad can it? Well let's give it a go anyway. . . . .

Stage 2 - Conscious Incompetence - "you know that you don't know"

Blimey, it IS tricky!! How will I ever learn all this? What does that do again? And what does that mean? Q and H what? Q F E ?? You want me to do WHAT??

Stage 3 - Conscious Competence - "you work at what we don't know"

Hang on a bit, some of this is actually starting to make sense. Yep, I definately remembered that from my last lesson. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. . . Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. . . It's hard work, but I'm getting the hang of it. . . slowly anyway. . .

Stage 4 - Unconscious competence - "you don't have to think about knowing it"

OK, not suggesting for a minute that we leave our thinking caps back in the club house every time we jump in the LHS - good awareness, discipline, airmanship (and more besides) are critical to safe flying. . .HOWEVER, what started out as something we didn't know we couldn't do, and quickly found very tricky. . . begins to feel easier, more natural, instinct perhaps. . . I don't consciously have to remind myself to do this bit, it happens by itself.

Useful? Ring any bells? I guess one of the lessons from this is that for most of us, we get there in the end. If my instructor got a £pound for every time he's said "don't worry, it WILL get easier", well . . he'd be a much richer instructor for a start. But it does get easier ;) .

HW

VC10 Rib22
25th May 2006, 04:26
Happy Wanderer,

Thanks for your input - I guess the trick is to get from Stage 1 to Stage 4 as quickly as possible, not only from a financial point of view but, more importantly from an Integrated students perspective, before the training provider see you as a training risk and decide it is time to part company.

Good luck with the flying.

VC10 Rib22

THRILLSEEKER
25th May 2006, 10:39
VC10

Thank you for your wise words. As a Royal Air Force aircraft engineer like you once were I too have that uncontrollable desire to fly. One that is seeing me right now go through the selection process at a few integrated schools with the hope of putting my PVR in very soon and heading out there into civy street. I have chosen to go down the integrated route, purely a personal preference and I am in no way saying that it is a 'better' route, there has been far to many discussions on this forum about that to cover it here. It hadn't even occurred to me that I may not like flying solo; I mean it is a job that I have dreamed about doing for years and for that I am bound to take to it like a duck to water - or not as it may seem.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that from your wise words I am going to at least once or twice get myself down to my local flying school and actually see that I like the sensation of flight in a small light aircraft.

I wish you luck in your career change, one that I am sure will pay off for you!

Thrillseeker :ok:

sstaurus
25th May 2006, 23:51
Excellent post :D

I am pre-solo, but can relate to how you felt. It's so easy as a wannabe to dismiss how much work it actually takes and how hard it actually is to fly a plane (nevermind just the flying part, how about the rest of it!) It surprised me, and made me immediately think I must not be cut out for it. But I am determined that I did not waste the last several years dreaming about it for nothing! It is coming to me, just in a different way than I expected.

I'm just going to keep working at it and see how it goes. Now if only this weather would go away, I could get lessons in often enough!

Whenever I am out working the pumps on the ramp, all I think about is how I want to get back up!

cheers :ok: and good luck

VC10 Rib22
26th May 2006, 06:09
THRILLSEEKER,

I left the circuit on my own for the first time today. The flight went well, and I took a lot satisfaction realising how my training allowed me to go out, have some fun, and return safely, but I have taken greater satisfaction from reading your post. I hope that you are the first of many who take my advice, and that you also find that your dream of flying and the reality of doing so are one and the same.

sstaurus,

This flying malarky sure is addictive.

VC10 Rib22

Grange End Star
26th May 2006, 16:08
Congratulations VC Rib22 from another one of the Cardiff Posse
Glad to see your enjoying your training and achieving your ambitions :ok: