PDA

View Full Version : Baggage thieves at FAJS being tracked

flyboy2
13th May 2006, 18:29
"Ian van Rooyen, the general manager for SAA customer relations, said a pilot project had shown that there was no pilfering from checked-in baggage wrapped in plastic.
SAA would introduce a free baggage-wrapping service at Johannesburg International Airport, beginning with first class and business class passengers, but extending to economy passengers as more wrapping machines were acquired.
Van Rooyen pointed out that baggage handlers were not employed by SAA. Measures were being taken by Airports Company South Africa and the baggage-handling companies to control movement in and out of the airport and between areas within it.
On complaints of long queues at check-in counters, Van Rooyen said more staff had been employed and trained and more check-in counters would be provided at all three international airports."
[ A screening on investigative SA TV program Carte Blanche clearly showed "baggage-handlers" on CCTV, helping themselves to valuables from luggage. Tighter security , finger-printing and other methods are to be implemented in a effort to stem this scourge according to reports.]

Stayinalive
14th May 2006, 10:05
Only one answer to this.
Shoot the culprits on sight, bubble wrap the bodies and ship them out on a flight far away from here. I am sure there is a shortage of dog food somewhere in the world.:D :D

Solid Rust Twotter
14th May 2006, 10:14
Sounds like another of the monthly "crime fighting initiatives" we get shovelled at us without any concrete steps being taken.

"Blah, blah....fight crime....blah, blah,........crack down hard....blah, blah.........safer for all...blah, blah....ad infinitum.":zzz:

Not holding my breath....:rolleyes: :hmm:

Deanw
15th May 2006, 05:41
Only one answer to this.
Shoot the culprits on sight, bubble wrap the bodies and ship them out on a flight far away from here. I am sure there is a shortage of dog food somewhere in the world.:D :D

Yup. Bastards smashed the lock on my sister-in-laws case Saturday morning and stole her reading glasses!

PAXboy
15th May 2006, 13:50
This is a classic mgmt response of tackling the symptom and not the cause: Staff/others are stealing from client's bags. So, cover them with plastic rather than punish the theives. :ugh:

JG1
15th May 2006, 14:35
At the lifts :
'Why is there such a jam here?'
"It's the queue at the SAA check-in counters' 'oh'

At the SAA check-in counters :
'Why are the queues so long?'
1) 'Shut up you are lucky to be getting to the front anyway - stop whining'
2) 'Eisch its the plastic wrapping of the suitcases'

'So why aren't you wrapping mine?'
1) 'Stop whining'
2) 'Eisch the machine, it is broken'

At the Coffee Shop, two pax just paying the R56 bill for 2 coffees :
'Why are there so few aeroplanes on the apron?'
1) "Its the baggage theft, the crime, tourists they don't come here any more like they used to"
2) 'Its the F.O.D from all the plastic the baggage handlers pull off the suitcases, the aircraft all park on the (hi-security) delta Apron now"
3) "Its because of the previous government'
4) 'stop whining'

nugpot
15th May 2006, 15:04
The claims must be getting expensive.

I see the newest weapon in the Equity Aviation arsenal is a liitle form that you must complete when you check in luggage, stating that there are no valuables, cameras, laptops, etc in your checked luggage.

I can see no possible operational or safety reason for this. It can only be to limit claims: "But Sir, here you stated that there was nothing of value in your luggage. So if your bag was broken into, the only thing that could have been stolen is your privacy, and we don't re-imburse for that."

Solid Rust Twotter
15th May 2006, 15:22
The usual cop out and shirking of responsibility.:rolleyes:

"I'm not the one.....":ugh: