PDA

View Full Version : SQ hiring Hong Kong ppl for CPP!!

flyer_spotter
13th May 2006, 08:23
Check this out: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/company_info/careers/tech_crew.jsp#Header3

This is very nice...I guess!

Lowspirited
13th May 2006, 09:50
ooops seems i made a reading mistake hehe

ok new question then:

University honours degree in the engineering or pure science disciplines. In addition, you must have obtained at least 5 Form Six/GCE ‘O’ Level credits or its equivalent. These must include English, Mathematics and a pure science subject, preferably Physics, taken at one sitting;

Does that mean you have to be a graduate already? The CX and KA CPP only requires university degree/diploma or the high school equivalent of HK, is there some mistake here or does SIA seriously want Honour Graduate Students in engineering or pure science disciplines?

UlsterPPL
13th May 2006, 13:49
Hi Flyer_Spotter,

Many thanks for sharing the excellent news! Opportunities like these are hard to come by these days.

bwong
14th May 2006, 10:44
why do you think singapore airlines is hiring cadets from hong kong? why not singapore itself or any other country?

Koyo
14th May 2006, 23:51
They are still recruiting locals from Singapore and Maylaysia. May be they need some HK based pilots in the future? The requirements are understandable despite the their harsh appearance. Unfortunately, I don't meet the requirements as I'm in Business Administration with a very close to 3.00 average. I don't think the honours requirement means a Master degree. It usually means that you must maintain a higher GPA with additional courses to qualify for a honours degree.

Lowspirited
15th May 2006, 06:24
My case is i'm studying an engineering degree, in my university to graduate with honours there are 4 classes, ranging from weighted average of 57.5 to 75. I failed some units but sit above 57.5 average which is still withing honour grading in my university, does that qualify me to apply for now?

Koyo
15th May 2006, 23:40
I seriously recommend you double check with your department adviser or consult with the school calendar or catalog if you failed some course units. Usually, a honours designation require a grade minimum for each course in addition to a GPA requirement. While I understand each school operates differently, it doesn't hurt to review the requirements. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you look at the SQ website you will notice the following sentence.

"Entry point will depend on background of candidates."

So if you meet some of the requirements, it doesn't hurt to apply.

aerosmith93
17th May 2006, 02:37
Its a rare opportunity SQ recruit cadet away from home ground (i.e. Singapore and Malaysia). Go ahead to apply if you really interested in aviation, in particular flying with SQ. Don't worry too much about the qualification issue yet....HR will sort you out if you really aren't what they after. Regarding the high standard of educational background requirement, guess its partly due to the 6 months ATPL exams which all SQ cadet has to go through before commence flying training. I guess they want to make sure you have good chance to pass all by stating a high requirement.

Good Luck to all and spread the news to your wannabe friends :cool:

flaps340
17th May 2006, 03:04
Actually SIA is a very aggressive airline. They will use new planes, try new models. Besides performing well in business, they also want to gain high reputation among other Asian or even global airlines. That's why they also have strict requirements to the pilots, including academic qualification.

By the way, has anyone applied for this post? Will all the interview/selection test for the CPP HK applicant be performed in Singapore?

Thermal Image
17th May 2006, 03:21
I seriously recommend you double check with your department adviser or consult with the school calendar or catalog if you failed some course units. Usually, a honours designation require a grade minimum for each course in addition to a GPA requirement. While I understand each school operates differently, it doesn't hurt to review the requirements. Better to be safe than sorry.
If you look at the SQ website you will notice the following sentence.
"Entry point will depend on background of candidates."
So if you meet some of the requirements, it doesn't hurt to apply.

The part about "entry point..." is saying that whether SIA will hire you as a cadet pilot or as a co-pilot will depend on your qualifications and experience AS A PILOT, not about what your academic qualifications are and whether you will be selected for cadet pilot training.

ngkaka
14th Jun 2006, 01:20
By the way, has anyone applied for this post? Will all the interview/selection test for the CPP HK applicant be performed in Singapore?

The initial round would be in HK. btw, anyone has ideas on what kinds of interview / test would be conducted in the first round? They didn't provide any information about that, so curious to know if anyone has information about that.

ORBIS 516
14th Jun 2006, 05:57
Anybody get feed back from SQ for the first round?

gotak
15th Jun 2006, 03:00
I suspect they will take a few weeks like KA does, in otherwords a month or more. Anyhow I blew my CX less then a year ago at 2nd stage. So I am going to see about reapplying next year. Back to CYYZ for me and off to studying for a masters. Parents generously agreed to fund a PPL so I'll see how much I actually like flying. Whether I am going to do it as a job or a hobby.

RANT:

Now onto my response to what someone said...

57.5 is honors? Which school's this?!

First class honors for mine was >75% and 2nd class can't be less then 65%. I got mine just below 75%. Almost a first class :hmm:

Sorry to sound hash but there are enough engineers I have met so far in my career who have great grades and terrible knowledge. For example a girl with a 95% graduating average who can't add 2 line of code for a DSP to make it switch between filtering mode and not. A friend working for MDA (they make the space shuttle robotic arm) got a new graduate teammate, programmer girl, who doesn't know what pointers are (I suggested he give her a stick and tell her that's a pointer :E ).

57.5 means you can answer just a bit more then half the questions in your exams, quiz, assignments and etc. If we let people graduate with honors knowing just half the stuff they are taught. That's why new graduate engineers can't find work! That's why people are asking for 5 years experience or more. :eek: