PDA

View Full Version : Qantas MAM recruitment SYD

Flibbertigibbet
12th May 2006, 21:56
Hi,
I had a group interview day in March followed by a panel interview. QF have done 2 ref. checks and I have passed my medical yet still no news! I know they have called people for a training school starting on the 22nd of this month. Does anyone have any info. about how many groups they will put through or is it possible after all of this I am going to get the NO letter?
Thanks

Sailorgal
13th May 2006, 03:41
Hey Flibbertigibbet i went through the same assessment round - i had my panel about 8 weeks ago, medical about 3 weeks ago, ref checks have been done but still no news. There are a lot of others that are from the same round and are still waiting for some news, so you're definitely not on your own!

I'm not sure how to predict these guys, but i do know of at least 2 people who have received a rejection email at the beginning of this week - hang in there you could still be waiting for good news. The security checks take ages so they could be what is separating people in how soon they hear. Also, MAM have a history of calling people and offering them a spot in a training school virtually the next day, so it's not necessarily bad news that you haven't heard anything yet.

GalleyHag
13th May 2006, 04:29
Are you guaranteed a minimum number of hours on the new contract? A very large percentage of casuals and reserve permanent flight attendants are not getting any work this month with the introduction of the new CARMEN rostering system. Clearly the company expects to have some utilisation from the new batch of casuals but I would also ensure you had other means of income.

cokecropduster
13th May 2006, 06:26
Contract C is what all new recruits are going onto. It is a guarantee of 80 or 85hours, but you have 20 days duty with REQUEST for 3 consecetitive days off... The guarantee of hours is good but it means that you are a full time employee without the benefits!

The people that have had the medical and references done are IN! Congrates! You just have to wait for the call!

Congrates and good luck all!:)

SkySista
13th May 2006, 11:16
CCD, I'm assuming the 80/85 hrs is including standby/AV span days etc...?

Also, where did you hear about those people being 'in'? And did you mean only those in Sydney, or all MAM applicants who have had their medicals and references been called?? I was expecting a bit longer wait for those who went through the recent days in April...

bebek666
16th May 2006, 00:46
Hi Flibbertigibet,

I also attended interviews in March and I received a phone call last week from Qantas recrutiment informing me that I had been successfull :) They offered me to start training on the 23rd of May, but unfortunately there was no way I could start so soon. They were fine about it and told me that they would put me on a shortlist and call me when the next training school was confirmed.

I don't regret my decision of not accepting to be in that course, but I tell you, I will feel much better when they call me again for the next course!! I have no doubt that there will be several courses running over the next few months, so all of you still waiting to hear, I'm sure you will get a phone call soon!! I think it's pretty positive if you have been asked to do a medical and references have been called, they wouldn't bother waisting their time otherwise!!

Good luck to all of you and please please let us know when you get called and what training date they offer!!!! :)

cokecropduster
16th May 2006, 02:50
Skysista,

They will pay all Contract C Casuals for either 80 or 85 hours (not sure which one) a month guaranteed. For this the Contract C people won't be able to choose the 20 days a month that the company requires them to work. Contract C is a full-time job without the benefits because the company has the right to make you work every weekend, public holiday and special event... But it is flying!!

Generally from my knowledge... once the reference checks and medical has been done and they are fine, you are 'in'. Be it, on the shortlist to be called or called to start training. That be said.... this can change at anytime..

Hope this helps...:)

blonde_oz_boy
16th May 2006, 04:49
Hi all,
Just wondering if theres anyone who posts here who attended group assessment days with MAM in Brissy on the 29th/30th/31st March and who have done medicals and reference checks, I'd be really interested to speak to you in regards to what you've heard and how far along your application is. Also, just wondering if there are any Brisbane people being accepted into the May 23rd ground school or if we're all still waiting for the "yes" call or the "no" email.
Fingers crossed to everyone who's waiting! Hang in there!!:ugh:

SkySista
16th May 2006, 06:02
CCD, thanks, that clears it up. Guessing from Maurices' quoted rate of around $30/hr (and take off $5 to be conservative) that's around $500-600 week gross guaranteed. Not too shabby really... then again, I've always been a casual, so it's nice to know that even though I can't pick the days, there's some sort of security in being guaranteed that amount. And, as you say, it's flying.

I could be getting paid the same to fly for a regional to much less exciting places on smaller a/c, so it al levens out in the end... good luck to all those who are waiting...! No news yet, but as they say no news is good news I guess!!! :cool:

GorgeousKiwiGal
21st May 2006, 01:20
:ok:

Good luck to you all! I haven't heard anything yet from friends who also applied, so it seems everyone is in the same boat - playing the waiting game.

Let us know as soon as you hear anything, and I'll be keepin' my fingers crossed for you all in the meantime.

xx:)

mostie
21st May 2006, 02:00
Casualisation and "time poor" workers are a recent phenomena in Australian society.

THINK!!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/not-retrenched-but-overstretched/2006/05/19/1147545523231.html