PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Visitors.

Lewy-
12th May 2006, 18:30
A few years ago most airlines would happily allow a young lad and his father onto the flightdeck of an airliner, just for a quick look about.
But now unfortunately because of terrorism, that cant happen.

Out of interest, how many cabin crew are still asked by passangers wether they can visit the flight deck. And have you ever had any funny responses from passangers after denying access.

Getoutofmygalley
12th May 2006, 19:39
I am asked about twice a week, but I always explain the reasons as to why it is not possible as opposed to just a "no it isn't allowed" - that way the pax are in no doubts as to why it is no longer permitted and then don't feel the need to make a comment other than "shame".

Married a Canadian
12th May 2006, 20:05
It has been made more difficult now aswell even for a fam flight for ATC. I asked on a thread recently and found out the answer is no unless you book in advance with head office and even then I believe you have to provide a LOT of security info.

I asked cabin crew a couple of months ago and had my ID, licence the works to show but unfortunately your hands were tied.

On my next flight back home I hope to prearrange a cockpit visit again. We used to get it quite often.

smile
13th May 2006, 01:03
My crew and I were just talking about this yesterday.

I have to admit I am still shocked every-time someone asks me to visit the flightdeck during the flight. Hello people!!!!

One of the crew memebers yesterday said she was abused by a pax not so long ago when she explained to him the reason his son could not visit the flightdeck. "But my son is not a terrorist" was his reply.

WE tend to let kids have a quick look in the flight deck (time permitting) as they are disembarking.

twiggs
13th May 2006, 02:34
WE tend to let kids have a quick look in the flight deck (time permitting) as they are disembarking.

I also have had captains taking kids up to the flight deck during disembarkation.
For a kid this is just as good, if not better than during cruise as they may even be allowed to sit in the drivers seat.
Something to remember for those kids that really are disappointed when you have to say no during the flight.

Lewy-
13th May 2006, 10:08
My crew and I were just talking about this yesterday.

I have to admit I am still shocked every-time someone asks me to visit the flightdeck during the flight. Hello people!!!!

One of the crew memebers yesterday said she was abused by a pax not so long ago when she explained to him the reason his son could not visit the flightdeck. "But my son is not a terrorist" was his reply.

Yes, saying that, i've always seen the flight crew out of the cockpit when i was disembarking, but never thought to / had the courage to ask if i could take a quick look on the flight deck because of the terrorism thing and also incase it delays the disembarking.

ATCO1987
13th May 2006, 16:37
One thing Ive wondered, is, can you get a flightdeck visit with an airport RZ pass? Im a security agent at a UK regional airport and I have an RZ pass that would allow me access to aircraft on the ground, so if I was to fly with an airline based at that airport, from that airport (thus they are familiar with the RZ pass style) would I have any chance of a flightdeck visit in the air? Stupid question probably as I can guess the answer is no but it never hurts to ask :).

shinners
13th May 2006, 17:21
Once a pax asked for the cockpit for his camcorder...I explained him that wasn't possible and he repli ed"It's not a aproblem, I know this, so I kindly ask if YOU could enter in the flightdeck, give my camcorder to one of the pilot who is not working, to film the other one while pilots during the landing"

I didn't know what to say........:confused: :confused: :confused:

with a smile "I'm sorry, but both pilots work during the landing..."

Flying Torquewrench
13th May 2006, 23:17
ATCO1987,

As you correctly guessed, the answer is no. The CAA has issued a list with categories of people who are allowed on the flight deck during flight. At this moment a security agent is not on the list, so you are not allowed on the flight deck during flight.

However, the CAA can agree on additional categories but you must have a reason for being on the flight deck. So unfortunately, i give you no chance to get on the flight deck during flight.

FT

jet2impress
14th May 2006, 12:06
Many airlines will only ever allow company staff with the relevant security pass to visit the flight deck/occupy a jump seat in flight.

apaddyinuk
15th May 2006, 18:21
It has been ages since I was last asked for a flight deck visit during a flight however I do get asked regularly by passengers if they or their children can have a look when we land which is usually not a problem at all!

GorgeousKiwiGal
16th May 2006, 03:56
As stated above, I also get asked on average, probably once or twice a week, if a child + parent etc can visit the flight deck in flight. I always politely decline and explain the reasons why it isn't allowed. They are always very understanding. I always do my very best to speak to the PIC and ask if the child can have a look in the Flight Deck upon landing though. I then go back and tell the parents that if they remain behind after everyone has disembarked our lovely pilots will be happy to show them around the F/D. They are always very excited and accept the invitation every time.

Thus, there is never a problem :).

SXB
19th May 2006, 21:42
My 4 year old son always asks to see the flightdeck when we leave the aircraft, these are normally Swiss flights and the Captain is generally standing by the door (maybe company policy ?) and he's never been refused, most times they wait until everyone else has disembarked though. They normally let him sit in one of the seats as well, though they get a bit concerned when he goes for some of the switches:)

Both CC and FC seem to be extremely tolerant of children in general, in fact I'd go as far to say that a lot of them have the patience of saints. I'm assuming this is covered somewhere in your training, please tell us these secrets !!

Getoutofmygalley
19th May 2006, 23:21
Digressing a mile....

I'm assuming this is covered somewhere in your training, please tell us these secrets !!

It's not covered in training, but for me, I know I can hand the little darling back to it's folks when it gets noisy, and that they then have to put up with it's temper tantrums :E

sinala1
20th May 2006, 00:27
know I can hand the little darling back to it's folks when it gets noisy

Or snotty, vomit-y or poo-ey for that matter! :E

ozangel
20th May 2006, 04:31
Once had a mother in tears, the poor thing, the kid was nuts.

We had more crew than we needed on that flight, so we snuck her up to business and gave her a glass of champers, and I sat down with the kid for most of the rest of the flight, and kept him entertained. We, or should I say I, got stuck into the colouring book. He was very good at giving angry instructions, 'NO COLOUR IT ALL BROWN!'

couldnt show him the cockpit, but managed to keep him entertained with a few things, he even coloured in my Cabin Manager day report, all in brown of course.

The mother tearily hugged us all and tried to give us $10 each, or course we didnt accept - it was fun, and provided a fair bit of relief to the surrounding pax.

I always tried for the post landing visit for anyone who asked... We had some pretty short turarounds (sometimes 20mins with an aircraft swap on a jet), but usually enough time for a quick squiz and maybe a photo.

Remember when i was growing up, I got jumpseats for takeoff/landing on BA (767, 757, 747), QF (733, 734, 762, 763, 743, 744) Hazelton Saab340. Have got a few since 2001, virgin, qantas, but had an asic pass.

Remember even in 2000, i managed to get up for a visit on united, american, delta and usairways...

Shame how things have changed. But its for the best.

blonde_oz_boy
21st May 2006, 09:49
My cousin just spent an entire flight in the jumpseat from take off to landing when she flew on virgin blue last week... Although she has an asic card. Dont know if that makes a difference.

DIVESAILFLY
21st May 2006, 13:54
Hi All.
From the cockpit side - please feel free to request a cockpit visit after landing. Most of us are proud of our jobs/aircraft and remember the day we were first allowed to see a cockpit. Most pilots that I know are only too happy to show off, light up the buttons, etc. Wish we could do more, but alas 9/11.

Hope to see some kids
Fly safe.
:)