PDA

View Full Version : Fire fighting South Africa

Dromader
12th May 2006, 09:10
Hi there,
I'm a Dutch fire fighter pilot, working during northern hemisphere summer months in Galicia, Spain. (May - Oct) Was wondering whether it would be possible to find me a contract in S-Africa for the Southern hemisphere summer. Anyone who knows about companies contracting pilots? Or aviation fire fighting companies in general?
Would appreciate,
Thx

Propellerpilot
12th May 2006, 09:31
The only guys I have seen operating here in Cape Town are W.O.F. (Working on Fire) in summer. I think they are based in Nelspruit where they operate in winter as the fire threats are recipricated.

They where very busy this last summer around the Cape, but mainly with the Mi-8MTV and Kamov 32 (double Rotor) helicopters. They have Dromaders as well and some other types. And of course spotter-planes, mostly 182's and 206's (w.

Unfortunatly I do not know any contact details.

currawong
12th May 2006, 10:55
Pprune callsign "thrushdriver" may be able to assist.

Suggest you PM him. Or, you may catch him over on the Ag forum.

:ok:

B200Drvr
12th May 2006, 12:46
Dromader,
Although the license will not be a problem, the work permit might be.

Captain Pheremone
12th May 2006, 17:00
Judging by your title you are looking for fixed wing bombing?????...if so there is "Orsmond Aviation" in

Pietermaritzburg/Bethlehem or Nelair in Nelspruit or Zululand Fire Association among others if you want some contact details pm me no problem.

Choppers include maily Titan Aviation in George, UTE Air - run by ruskies and WOF and the SAAF so guess who that leaves.....?????

B Sousa
13th May 2006, 12:29
I was up at Nelspruit last year and saw the operation. Appears to be a good group of folks trying to put together a serious fire fighting effort. A couple of the ground types have even made it to the states for some experience and training.
Sort of a Hodge Podge of aircraft doing the best they can with whats available.
Im not sure but at the time I think most of them gave a lot of their own to keep things afloat......
If you have the time I would recommend stoping in to convey your desires and see what they can do to help out. If nothing else you will certainly get a few Beers after hours.
I have a couple names and numbers if you need a contact. PM or email.