PDA

View Full Version : Going to OLBA; Any Pointers?

ManagedNav
12th May 2006, 01:53
Hi guys:

Ferrying an aircraft to Beirut; Any tips from anyone who has been there would be greatly appreciated.....

sec 3
12th May 2006, 02:17
Strait forward vectored ILS, good controllers. Enjoy the view!:ok:

White Knight
12th May 2006, 04:37
Some damn big hills to the east, but at this time of the year should be CAVOK:ok: Nice place..

Togalk
12th May 2006, 05:55
If you are flying in from the west via Nicosia, just have a good look at your chart. None of these countries talk to each other so you have to call ahead 10 minutes to let them know you are coming. And make sure you have landing permission. I have heard a few planes refused landing in Beirut because they didn't have prior permission. Besides that, like the other guys said it is pretty straight forward, and a beautiful view.

Schnowzer
12th May 2006, 06:02
The approach on the South Easterly runway looks steep, particularly at night, due to rising terrain beyond.

Capt Chambo
12th May 2006, 07:46
You don't say from which direction you will be arriving. If you are flying through Turkish airspace then you will be working "Erjan" on 126.7MHz and it will be up to you to liase with Nicosia before entering the Nicosia FIR. Erjan and Nicosia don't talk to each other, the full explanation is in the front of the Jeppesens.
Approaching from the west takes you over Cyprus and is straightforward. You can't approach from due south so you end up working Nicosia again and is straightforward. From the east you will work Damascus which is procedural. Beirut will "help" you on handover by giving you a more direct routing, cutting miles off your profile and leaving you high if you are not careful!
Normal landing on RW16 which is long, ILS equipped, and well lit. Departures are usually from RW21.
You will require overfly permits for many of the countries in the region and PPR is required for a landing in Beirut.
The Lebanese controllers are very good and will vector you onto finals with the minimum of interference or fuss.
Enjoy!

ManagedNav
13th May 2006, 02:04
Thanks for all the replies so far!

Will be coming in from west (LBSF), Sofia, Bulgaria. BTW, anyone know the hotel of choice in Keflavik?

Thanks!

4HolerPoler
13th May 2006, 05:41
Keflavik Hotel, 3 k's from the airport. 4 Stars. Tel +354 421 5222. Fax +354 421 5223

4HP

JS3
13th May 2006, 15:25
ManagedNav,

Just out of curiousity, what aircraft are you ferrying and where are you originating from?

ManagedNav
14th May 2006, 05:44
Unfortunately, JS3, not the proper time yet to divulge that info to a stranger.

Nothing personal; I'll let you know when I get back....

Regards,

CedarJet
14th May 2006, 18:33
ManagedNav

Is OLBA/BEY the last stage of your ferry flight or are you continuing on with a departure to the East from Beirut?

ManagedNav
15th May 2006, 03:12
It is not appropiate at this time for me to go into great detail about this flight, nor is it prudent for security reasons.

Thank you all very much for your input on the enroute and approach phase and the hotel info in KEF. Any other info along those lines would again be greatly appreciated.