PDA

View Full Version : Getting a North American base once upgraded?

Mach75
11th May 2006, 16:05
Hi there,

Just wondering how difficult it is to get a base in North America, particularly Vancouver, once you've been upgraded? Once you become an F/O and are eligible to get a basing is there still a long wait seniority-wise until a spot becomes available? How many years could you realistically expext to be in Hong Kong from your date of hire until a spot opens up and you're able to get a North American basing?

Howard Hughes
12th May 2006, 00:01
I would suggest not joining Cathay, unless you go with the attitude that you will live in Hong Kong PERMANENTLY!!

Any temporary base will be just that, TEMPORARY!!;)

You could get a Vancouver base on the freighters though!!:ok:

Penske
12th May 2006, 11:05
I have to jump in because Howard's comments are such rubbish.

There is lots of info on your subject if you spend some time looking for it.

Vancouver base is not available on the freighter. Period. It is however, a VERY easy commute to the LAX base. In fact, it is such a non-event that it barely qualifies as a commute in the traditional sense. The freighter FOs finishing their 3.5 years will be able to get YVR base as a passener FO. It is currently closed to Captains.

Don't sweat the small stuff. If you want to work for Cathay and are willing to do the work to meet the standard, then they will provide you with a fantastic career with many possibilities that you would not get anywhere else.

Mach75
12th May 2006, 15:13
Thanks for the quick replies, I don't qualify for an F/O position on the freighters but I am interested in becoming a DESO out of Hong Kong on the Passenger Fleet. What I'm wondering is:
Are all of the North American basings for the passenger fleet currently filled up by high-seniority pilots making it extremely difficult to get based there OR when the opportunity arises for an S/O to be upgraded to JF/O and then F/O and they are eligible for a North American base is it relatively easy to get one? If so, does anyone have a rough idea of how long it would take?

Howard: I think you misunderstood my post ... If given the opportunity to fly for Cathay I certainly would have the attitude, and be willing to make Hong Kong my new home permanently. However, that being said, I'm trying to get as much info on the "workings" of Cathay as I can - just trying to cover all aspects of the job.

SpringbokCapt
12th May 2006, 15:19
Those are some good questions, i am in the same boat, however i do qualify for the freighter position. Are you able to request your base if you are hired as an FO on the cargo fleet. What are the work rules like? How many days on, and how many days off?
thanks

J32drivr
12th May 2006, 15:36
Hey guys,
I think the most important thing to remember when asking the "how long until..." questions is that ANYTHING can happen in this industry, both good and bad. Cathay is about to experience unprecedented growth, so what was a "standard" timeline a year or two ago may not be the case anymore. At my previous airline we were hiring FOs who, due to our growth, expected to upgrade to an RJ captain in about 16 months. Well, for many of them 5 years passed, they never saw the left seat, and then got laid off.

In my opinion, Cathay has got great things coming, and will be a great place to make a career for oneself. However, there are unique challenges associated with lots of growth. Withholdings from upgrade/equipment change is definitely one of them, due to training classes and sims being filled with new hires. (I've seen this happen before too) My advice is, pursue the job because you want to work for this company, and the rest will work itself out. Besides, with the housing allowance in HK even a SO can live fairly comfortably, and before your allowance runs out (15 years) you will have been able to hold a Canadian/ US base in some capacity.

Good luck, and fly safe

Kenny
12th May 2006, 18:49
. At my previous airline we were hiring FOs who, due to our growth, expected to upgrade to an RJ captain in about 16 months. Well, for many of them 5 years passed, they never saw the left seat, and then got laid off.

You wouldn't be a former "Blueridger" would you?

mayday911
12th May 2006, 19:10
When the ladies from recruitment call you with the results of the 2nd interview (success of course), they ask you to rank in order of preference your base choices within your Freighter Basing Area (ie. North America, Europe Australia, etc.)

I got my 2nd choice of 4.

Mayday.