PDA

View Full Version : Traveller's sterile kits...

Memetic
11th May 2006, 10:55
Ignoring the fact that the purchase is almost cerainly totally driven by people playing on your paranoia. Do the typical traveller's kits containing needles and syringes etc. such as these:

actually contain the stuff that would useful to professionals in an emergency?

I have looked at a few and the contents seem to vary quite a bit, which is making me very skeptical.

Working on the some is better than none principle, what's the minimum / essentials one should look for for general travel inn the 3rd world? I'm not talking long range expidition style, Safari etc. is what I have in mind.

Best regards

Memetic

Edited to remove commercial link

slim_slag
11th May 2006, 12:08
I've come to the conclusion there aren't many places you cannot get a sterile needle if you have the money. They may not be available to the people on the street, but in all countries you have an elite and they want to make sure they have access to clean kit. So it's there if you need it, and a lot cheaper than in the western world.

If you are on "safari" then you don't need to worry, IMO. All I carry nowadays is a course of malaria treatment, ciprofloxacin (not allergic), various plasters, duck tape, super glue, clinical thermometer, antihistamines, hydrocortisone cream. Most important is DEET, a mosquito net, rehydration powder, painkillers and suncream, those have saved me more times than a clean needle. Have insurance in case they need to fly you out, which should be a priority if you are at all in trouble. Some border officials might get interested if you have loads of strange stuff, including ones like the USA.

obgraham
11th May 2006, 20:42
Agree with Slag. Most important item is air evacuation insurance. MedJetAssist will fly me anywhere I need to go if I need hospital care. Duct tape is the next priority!