View Full Version : Logan Air

Alex 009
11th May 2006, 09:41
Does anyone know about, and/or is working for Logan Air at the moment? From what I hear the entry requirements are quite reasonable. Any words would be greatly appreciated.

Lee Frost
11th May 2006, 12:04
No recruitment at the moment due to retraining crews from the ambulance contract onto the SF340. I have heard they might be looking for people in September though...hope this helps,

LF

Floppy Link
11th May 2006, 12:42
...and if you're sending a cv, get the spelling right - one word Loganair :ok:

WX Man
11th May 2006, 21:02
2 q's re Loganair.

1. What are the bases?

2. Interested to know more about why I hear Logan callsigns being cleared to (for example) FL135, 75, 145 as cruising levels. Do they operate VFR regularly? The other day I heard one Logan callsign saying that they were taking the pax on a scenic tour of the islands because they had arrived at Barra before the airport had opened. Having recently developed a love affair with Scotland (and one of it's inhabitants) I am extremely keen to make the move north.

jumbo-clingfilm
12th May 2006, 07:50
get a scottish postcode.

probably don't want southerners.

pipertommy
12th May 2006, 12:26
Sorry to see that Loganair have decided to source pilots from FTE
http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com./page.php?page_name=news_latest

Floppy Link
12th May 2006, 13:05
to know more about why I hear Logan callsigns being cleared to (for example) FL135, 75, 145 as cruising levels. Do they operate VFR regularly? The other day I heard one Logan callsign saying that they were taking the pax on a scenic tour of the islands because they had arrived at Barra before the airport had opened.

1) FL135 etc - quite a few of the routes are on advisory routes outside controlled airspace, hence the funny levels...even if IFR
2) VFR regularly, yes....cuts down on the nav charges, if the weather is suitable. The pax love it too.
3) Barra is a beach so the tide might still have been over the runways?
4) 1 and 2 above may be out of date as I last flew for them in 1988. Lots of other operators in Scotland too depending on where your new love interest is!....
Loganair - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen (plus Kirkwall and Lerwick for the Islander)
ScotAirways - Edinburgh, Dundee
bmi regional - Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow
Eastern - Aberdeen, Wick, Inverness
Gama - Aberdeen, Glasgow for the Scottish Ambulance Service (KingAir)
BACON - Edinburgh, Glasgow, (+Inverness? not sure)
flybe - Glasgow, Edinburgh
and easyJet, First Choice, Thomsonfly, Mytravel, Globespan etc etc etc so plenty of scope for getting a shiny jet on your licence after a few years experience if that's your thing..

WX Man
12th May 2006, 19:52
Floppy Link... thank you VERY much for that hugely informative post!

My love interest is in EDI, but is about to qualify as a vet and will be looking for jobs anywhere in Scotland. So ideal scenario would be a base anywhere in Scotland within commuting distance for her for whatever job she ends up doing.

DB6
13th May 2006, 08:55
Entry requirements on the website: www.loganair.co.uk (http://www.loganair.co.uk) . Only some recruitment from FTE, not all. Southerners, Northerners, Swedish all taken (Sydney might be a bit far) but Saab time a BIG advantage. Not too much recruitment at the moment as Otter pilots are joining the Saab fleet but ongoing throughout the year due to lots of leavers.
I wouldn't expect a professed long-held desire to move to Scotland to cut too much ice, everyone says that until they get here then the southern shandy-drinking poofters can't hack it and move back to the smoke as soon as someone dangles a jet job in front of their noses :p .
FL135 etc, since there's little point in going much higher on short trips (30-45 mins) and headwinds may be higher, FL 200+ only really worth it on longer trips. VFR common on Otter fleet, not so much on Saabs although not unknown on shorter trips (whisky tour into Islay a good one). Very VERY busy flying sometimes, don't expect RV ILS -ILS, if you don't know your way around a DME arc or NDB approach you'll have some unpleasant surprises online. That said, not much beats it except maybe aerobatics :} .